Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 06-16-10, 02:40 AM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post Obama vows to make 'reckless' BP pay (AFP)

AFP - President Barack Obama vowed to make BP pay for its "recklessness" over the Gulf of Mexico oil spill in his first Oval Office address to the nation that urged a new mission to wean America off fossil fuels.

More...
Old 06-16-10, 06:32 AM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Obama vows to make 'reckless' BP pay (AFP)

Wow; that is really some harsh language there..."reckless."

With that characterization fresh in mind, let's ponder how conservative/reponsible it was to lend millions of liars who couldn't get an honest loan enough to bid up one of the biggest asset bubbles in history.

Moral of both stories:

It's not reckless when you both get away with it and hand the resultant screwing to somebody else.

WELL DONE + CONGRATULATIONS is more like it.
Old 06-16-10, 07:15 AM   #3
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

I didn't see the speech, when I got home I caught a `quick glimpse of a replay of Chris Matthews and was a little surprised that he didn't sound like his leg was tingling.

This gets stranger and stranger by the day. Regardless of what BP has or hasn't done, they could make a move that would make Obama look very bad. I get a sense that the Brits would cheer if Hayward did. And, , if it comes out that BP did adhere to MMS regs, albeit with poor execution, it will open a can of worms all over the Oval Office. You can bet if that is the case, there is a cover-up effort going on that is frantic....and probably futile.

As usual, Marty, you make a good point. This leak would probably have to cover from Louisiana to Florida 10 miles in from the beaches to equal the financial damage done by the banks, Fannie Freddie and the government. Yet this guy has autocratically put thousands of drilling industry people out of jobs with no hard evidence that they are in a position of repeating the BP event. What's he done to the banks and unions who bilked us out of ....possibly ....as much as 500 trillion. Could have bought a lot of windmills and solar panels with that.

This moves way beyond political to downright tragic.
Old 06-16-10, 08:05 AM   #4
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Could not agree more.. and you may have seen that Fannie, Fredie are being Delisted today... gee, that is just great.. seems that is where a very large part of OUR money went to "buy" those shit loans which were made by who...

And that is the way it goes... every time... sadly..

One would hope examples as clear cut as these example of OUR Government taking care of things.. would change something..

But, the promise of a "chicken in every pot" seems to work every time..

The scary one.. were broke.. the Fed has told these suckers.... if you don't stop spending.. "printing money" the Treasuries will be down graded... then where will the entire world go??

Can just see me know at the OXXO paying my bill with gold dust.. in a pouch, pouring it onto the scale..

We are in far worse shape than one can even start to consider from any rational standpoint based in anything resembling normal math ... Always like the movie "Dave"... a guy comes in and just looks at the books and comes up with a plan to make it work.. some scared cows were bled .... but, is not exactly what is needed...

And Dusty, I think your accounting is a little closer to what has been spent.. they were throwing trillions at it before they even got to subprime... seem just use a very creative accounting method, much like others.. ENRON, Marsh Mach... there is a really long list...

If they were to enforce laws on the books, we might start making head way.... but.. it does not seem to be happening, once again..
Old 06-16-10, 09:06 AM   #5
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Not my accounting, wesson...comes from a horror story I read a few months ago. As well documented as anything we can legally or functionally get our hands on.

IAs for your comment about government changing things....we've been conditioned to expect that. By design or default, I don't know...probably an unquantifiable combination of both. A few of us have had the time and the inclination to research this as indepth as we "mushrooms" can. For at least thirty years the government has had enough tools to have made a difference, it chose not to, it continues to chose not to. I've chosen to conclude that the government views itself apart from the governed and it is not in the government's best interest to use the tools it had and has at hand. But, as BG so wistfully says,..."that's just me".....I'll add in frustration, what the hell do I know?
Old 06-16-10, 01:06 PM   #6
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

This is a fine mess they've gotten us into

as our leaders' policies hark back and pay homage to the masters' approach to situations.