Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 08-10-10, 10:18 AM   #1
redondogolfer

redondogolfer is on a distinguished road

Default Hello everyone

Hello everyone. My name is Rob and I've been enjoying reading the posts for several days, especially the adventures in building. I fantacize about doing this but come away more convinced than ever I'm a buyer not a builder. I've several ex's in fact that treatened to leave me unless I sell my tools.

I'm at a retirement age and need an adventure so your posts are like evesdropping on a conversation among old friends. Thanks for that.
Old 08-10-10, 08:44 PM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hello everyone

Hi Rob,

Welcome aboard, Matey!

Old 08-10-10, 09:27 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum. If you have an itch for adventure, Baja is a great place to get it scratched. Whereabouts in Baja do you like???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-11-10, 06:24 AM   #4
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board.

If you are a golfer, you might want to check out the Baja Country Club, just south of Ensenada. A really great deal in housing.

http://bajacountryclub.com/
Old 08-11-10, 10:37 AM   #5
redondogolfer

Thank you guys. I have fishing friends in El Sargento and Cabo that insist that is the place for me but I'm concerned about the summer heat. I think I prefer the Pacific side for climate. I live 600 meters from the ocean here in Redondo and like the no AC situation. I'm interested in playing golf a few times a week, and boating other days.

Frankly I'm concerned about moving somewhere and becoming isolated. I've worked internationally for decades and I know someone most everywhere in the world but still don't know my neighbors. Being a single old grouchy male it would be within imagination to make a move and wonder what I do next. Weighing against that is a work enironment that is sending me messages it's over.

Thanks again for the welcoming.
Old 08-11-10, 10:45 AM   #6
Msterieus

Msterieus is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome, Redondo. (Can I call you "Don" for short?)

You refer to several exs -- are we talking more than three???!!!
Old 08-11-10, 12:31 PM   #7
BajaGringo

Sounds to me like you would be a good fit at Baja Country Club...

Old 08-11-10, 03:19 PM   #8
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Welcome to the board.

If you are a golfer, you might want to check out the Baja Country Club, just south of Ensenada. A really great deal in housing.

http://bajacountryclub.com/
Just curious. It looks great. Passed by a trillion times on the highway. But, what is the freight? Monthly/ annual fees, with or without golf privileges.
Old 08-11-10, 03:26 PM   #9
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondogolfer
Thank you guys. I have fishing friends in El Sargento and Cabo that insist that is the place for me but I'm concerned about the summer heat. I think I prefer the Pacific side for climate. I live 600 meters from the ocean here in Redondo and like the no AC situation. I'm interested in playing golf a few times a week, and boating other days.

Frankly I'm concerned about moving somewhere and becoming isolated. I've worked internationally for decades and I know someone most everywhere in the world but still don't know my neighbors. Being a single old grouchy male it would be within imagination to make a move and wonder what I do next. Weighing against that is a work enironment that is sending me messages it's over.

Thanks again for the welcoming.
Sounds like you would fit in just fine... come down on the 21th of this month.. and check it out.. there is a chili cook off... you will either scare them off, or fit in...

Welcome... even if you don't show
Old 08-11-10, 04:10 PM   #10
redondogolfer

Mysterius I have responded to worse than Don so that would eventually get my attention. Re: my ex-count I could answer a multiple of ways 1. it's complicated, really. 2. I am trying not to look at the past lol. 3. depends upon the definition of ex.

Guys the Baja Country Club looks really great. The housing looks more than adequate for my needs and the security would make extended travel very possible.

The chili cookoff sounds like a great time and I will definitely think on the logistics.

Again thanks for your kindness.
Old 08-11-10, 05:27 PM   #11
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Re-Don-Do

We will be arriving at our BCC place on the 12th and leaving on the 22nd. If you want to come down and look around, let me know.
Old 08-12-10, 09:25 AM   #12
redondogolfer

Teniente thanks so much for the initation to learn from a local. It means a lot to me to be able to take advantage of everyone's insight and experiences. I'm unfortunately still subject to other people's schedule (clients tell me to jump....) but if the winds stay fair I'll take you up on your offer.

In these parts Redondo is known as re-condo based on the high density housing that pushed out all the beach houses, some 80 years old and built for a few weeks vacation each summer.
Old 08-13-10, 04:40 PM   #13
BajaGringo

I spent a lot of time there in the Redondo Beach area was I was a few decades younger. One spot I remember that I loved hanging out was a place called The Strand.

Is it still around???

Old 08-13-10, 06:33 PM   #14
redondogolfer

The Strand is now a Whole Foods (or some organic food store). It was several nightclubs over the years with some name entertainers on week nights. I once played backgammon professionally and it was on that circuit so I was there perhaps one night a week for the years it was open.

You would be rather surprised at how RB has changed since the Strand years, it's gotten old lol. Riviera Village is all gentrified, a bit of a 3rd street promenade, with high end shops and restaurants. Millie Rieras seafood is now a multi-million $ condo building. This part of LA has become expensive and the kids can't afford to live here, now moving to Ashland Oregon, pagosa springs, Bozeman, etc. at least thats what my daughters tell me.
Old 08-13-10, 07:22 PM   #15
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

redondogolfer, you might also check out BajaMar north of Ensenada, ocean side within 10 minutes of Puerto Salina Marina for boating. Very nice area as well with it's own golf course.
Old 08-13-10, 08:02 PM   #16
redondogolfer

NP in prior trips to Baja I have stopped by and it is a very desirable location. I've looked at the MLS and there are listings in a variety of price ranges.

Like many of you have recommended in other posts it is best a newbie rents for 6 months and I agree this is prudent for anyone.

Thanks for the suggestion though and I will soon look at the homes for sale.
Old 08-13-10, 08:28 PM   #17
BajaGringo

The Strand had a good run back in the 80's of running some "new" talent in jazz. It was a small, intimate venue that allowed you to dine and share up close and personal with some names like David Benoit, Chuck Loeb, Russ Freeman, Norman Brown and Kirk Whalum.

I have some great memories from that place...

Old 08-13-10, 09:25 PM   #18
redondogolfer

My taste in music is less sophisticated, I recall Don Maclean (American Pie), Johnny Rivers and similar. But the good news always was I could walk home if I enjoyed myself too much. You must have frequented the Lighthouse on Pier then, they had similar music.
Old 08-13-10, 09:37 PM   #19
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondogolfer
My taste in music is less sophisticated, I recall Don Maclean (American Pie), Johnny Rivers and similar. But the good news always was I could walk home if I enjoyed myself too much. You must have frequented the Lighthouse on Pier then, they had similar music.
I did indeed...

Old 08-14-10, 06:48 AM   #20
ELINVESTIG8R

ELINVESTIG8R is on a distinguished road

redondogolfer