Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 08-21-10, 01:15 PM   #1
Dleighe

Dleighe is on a distinguished road

Default Snowbirds looking for warmth

Hello, one and all my name is Dee and my husband Joe and I are looking to come to N. Baja next Jan probably for a month. We live in Minnesota are are shopping areas we might like to eventually spend 6mo out of the year there. But for now we are just doing one month. We are taking our time driving with our two small dogs. Been reading the posts and many are interesting. Probably will be staying somewhere between Rosarito and Ensenada. Looking on many websites are are in contact with some of the owners. We both were in the Navy in Ca back in the eighties and spent a few weekends in the area. We know things have changed alot since then but we love the weather and the beach, all else is secondary.

Dee and Joe
Old 08-21-10, 01:26 PM   #2
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Snowbirds looking for warmth

Welcome Dee, you will enjoy the area you have chosen lots to do there if one chooses or just be by onesself. If you are looking for some rentals I know of someone who will be able to help you just send me a message.
Old 08-21-10, 06:06 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum Dee. Lots of folks here living in the general area you are considering so feel free to ask questions. Good group of folks here who are full of opinions, some of them even worth listening to!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-22-10, 10:06 AM   #4
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Welcome, and I bet you are looking for someplace to get away from those winters back there....

Your timing could not be better... a tremendous amount of real estate for sale and/or rent at this time.. and will only get better towards the winter... down here in Baja..

We have been renting for about a year now.. in between Ensenada and Rosarito ....

There are a lot of folks here, that have a vast knowledge about just about everything, from Missions to Hot Peppers... plus all things in between...
Old 08-23-10, 07:59 AM   #5
Dleighe

Dleighe is on a distinguished road

Wink Re: Snowbirds looking for warmth

Yes, We are experiencing a hot and humid summer, but have no fear we will pay dearly. Come Jan and Feb we will be a++holes and elbows deep in snow which isn't bad it is that below zero cold that that takes your breath away when you walk outside. I grew up in S Texas so even after 25 years hear I still can't take these winters.
We are looking for something between Rosarito and Ensenada probably closer to E. We have two dogs so I am really not looking for highrise condos. A two story complex would be good in a farely secure area. I am not too thrilled with "gated communities" but my hubby thinks it would be best. Walk out to the beach would be best. Were not rich but we not cheap either. We would like 2br/2ba for friends to come down and visit, probably a month visit. We will be driving our own vehicle and buying mexican insurance.Its not worth 5k but having been in situations in my misspent youth in Matamoros involving uninsured cars and maybe a little alcohol involvement need I say more. :) Looking forward to getting some stellar advice from
you guys ( I am channeling my Fargo conection)
Thanks ya'all
Dee
Old 08-23-10, 08:33 AM   #6
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Liability-only is an option if you drive a cheap beater.

Another advantage of the latter is that you're not as attractive a target when you don't appear wealthy.
Old 08-23-10, 01:50 PM   #7
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the board. Although I am not an expert, I will chime in with my 2cents worth.

We (currently) live in Carson City, NV.....been here for 36 years........we too are tired of the snow and cold. I have been exploring Baja since 1962, and for the last 24 years we (bajablonde and I) have been visiting Baja at all times of the year for up to two weeks at a time. We have stayed and looked everywhere between Rosarito and Ensenada for a place of our own...........we finally settled on Ensenada for several reasons.....

It's a "real town" with all the services and cultural events that you will ever need (medical - several hospitals and great doctors, dentists and even vets for your dogs; shopping - a COSTCO, Home Depot, various supermarkets and smaller mercados, even a Super Wal-Mart; social - we have attended concerts, plays, jazz festivals and just returned from the 2010 Ensenada Wine Festival and the Punta Banda Chili Cook Off and Salsa competition). There are great beaches (Punta Banda, Estero) and enough ex-pats to form a great support network. We are 90 minutes from the border and about 2 hours to the San Diego airport (for those grandkids visits). The people are great and the food is wonderful!!!!

We looked at many types and styles of houses in various areas of Ensenada before settling on the Baja Country Club. We have a community center and fiesta area with pool, hot tub and exercise room; 24/7 gated and security (they call you by your name- no break ins or vandalism in 6 years); a great BBQ area and small clubhouse for your special events - free!!!). the staff is warm, friendly and accomodating.....oh, and we don't golf!!!!

Our house was scratch built from the ground up....3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car enclosed garage, a patio and a very nice yard. With our options (plenty, believe me and and a larger lot) our total cost was $164K.
We own it with a bank trust, it is not on leased land. We have a community water system. They also have 2 bedroom models.

There are neighbors that are full timers, part timers and several couples who winter in San Felipe and summer at the Country Club.....a great mix of Americans, Mexicans and Canadians (eh???).....in fact, we just had a BCC residents music presentation with dinner, a community breakfast and a group bus tour to the wine country.

The BCC is an agricultural area located in a canyon at the end of a 2 mile road that intersects with Hwy 1, between Manadearo and Ensenada, we are off the main track with very little traffic. 4 miles to shopping at COSTCO or Commercial Mexicana Supermarket....we ride our bikes around the course (3 1/2 miles) without the fear of being ran/run over. We like it because we can walk/run/hike with our 2 big Yellow Labs without problems........we take the dogs to the beach about 6 miles away so they can swim in the surf.

Before you decide/settle on any area there are a few things you should do:

1. Each of you (hubby & wife) should independently make a list of your "wants" for a new area.......then compare the lists......gonna find a few surprises!!!!!

2. Each of you should then independently make a list of what you really need.....(medical, shopping ease of returning to the border....whatever) and compare.

3. Look for an area that fits all of your "needs" and as many "wants' as possible........find a place in that area and rent for at least 6 months....and live like you would if you were full timers.......you will learn many things about yourself and the area you chose.

Anyway..........that's about it.....I'll get off of my soapbox. if you need any other info, please e-mail me or send me a private message..........

Oh, yeah...... Baja Country Club http://www.bajacountryclub.com/index.php
Web site is a little dated, but it gives you the general idea.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

One other thing.....and I might get flamed for this.......DO NOT deal with Baja Real Estate "Agents", they are not licensed or regulated by the government. There may be a few good ones out there but the odds, I believe are against you. Deal directly with the property owner or developer and have a good attorney and notario as recommended by people on this board

Okay, two things......if you decide to build the law says you have to get and read "God and Mr Gomez" by Jack Smith:

Amazon.com: god and mr gomez: Books

After reading and you still decide to build...........contact me!!!!!

Last edited by Teniente; 08-23-10 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-23-10, 04:09 PM   #8
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Hello and welcome to the board. Although I am not an expert, I will chime in with my 2cents worth.

We (currently) live in Carson City, NV.....been here for 36 years........we too are tired of the snow and cold. I have been exploring Baja since 1962, and for the last 24 years we (bajablonde and I) have been visiting Baja at all times of the year for up to two weeks at a time. We have stayed and looked everywhere between Rosarito and Ensenada for a place of our own...........we finally settled on Ensenada for several reasons.....

It's a "real town" with all the services and cultural events that you will ever need (medical - several hospitals and great doctors, dentists and even vets for your dogs; shopping - a COSTCO, Home Depot, various supermarkets and smaller mercados, even a Super Wal-Mart; social - we have attended concerts, plays, jazz festivals and just returned from the 2010 Ensenada Wine Festival and the Punta Banda Chili Cook Off and Salsa competition). There are great beaches (Punta Banda, Estero) and enough ex-pats to form a great support network. We are 90 minutes from the border and about 2 hours to the San Diego airport (for those grandkids visits). The people are great and the food is wonderful!!!!

We looked at many types and styles of houses in various areas of Ensenada before settling on the Baja Country Club. We have a community center and fiesta area with pool, hot tub and exercise room; 24/7 gated and security (they call you by your name- no break ins or vandalism in 6 years); a great BBQ area and small clubhouse for your special events - free!!!). the staff is warm, friendly and accomodating.....oh, and we don't golf!!!!

Our house was scratch built from the ground up....3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car enclosed garage, a patio and a very nice yard. With our options (plenty, believe me and and a larger lot) our total cost was $164K.
We own it with a bank trust, it is not on leased land. We have a community water system. They also have 2 bedroom models.

There are neighbors that are full timers, part timers and several couples who winter in San Felipe and summer at the Country Club.....a great mix of Americans, Mexicans and Canadians (eh???).....in fact, we just had a BCC residents music presentation with dinner, a community breakfast and a group bus tour to the wine country.

The BCC is an agricultural area located in a canyon at the end of a 2 mile road that intersects with Hwy 1, between Manadearo and Ensenada, we are off the main track with very little traffic. 4 miles to shopping at COSTCO or Commercial Mexicana Supermarket....we ride our bikes around the course (3 1/2 miles) without the fear of being ran/run over. We like it because we can walk/run/hike with our 2 big Yellow Labs without problems........we take the dogs to the beach about 6 miles away so they can swim in the surf.

Before you decide/settle on any area there are a few things you should do:

1. Each of you (hubby & wife) should independently make a list of your "wants" for a new area.......then compare the lists......gonna find a few surprises!!!!!

2. Each of you should then independently make a list of what you really need.....(medical, shopping ease of returning to the border....whatever) and compare.

3. Look for an area that fits all of your "needs" and as many "wants' as possible........find a place in that area and rent for at least 6 months....and live like you would if you were full timers.......you will learn many things about yourself and the area you chose.

Anyway..........that's about it.....I'll get off of my soapbox. if you need any other info, please e-mail me or send me a private message..........

Oh, yeah...... Baja Country Club http://www.bajacountryclub.com/index.php
Web site is a little dated, but it gives you the general idea.

Good Luck!!!!!!!
Spot on. But, just wonder what your thoughts are about Carson City today v. 36 years ago. I was there then. Today, Yikes!
Old 08-23-10, 07:26 PM   #9
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Bajahowodd.......

......But, just wonder what your thoughts are about Carson City today v. 36 years ago. I was there then. Today, Yikes.........

Population is 60+ thousand. They are building the freeway bypass around the east end of town and it's 2/3 completed,.....people who work in town ar living in Dayton, Silver Springa and Fallon..........can't wait to get out!!!!