General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 09-01-10, 09:04 PM   #1
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Municipal Canine Care Center - La Paz

"El Centro Municipal de Atención Canina" (Municipal Canine Care Center)
Hwy 1 from La Paz headed toward Todos Santos @ km 194 just before San Pedro

I took a stray dog there today & got the following information:

They DO NOT accept monetary donations....PERIOD.

They DO accept donations of dog food.

If you take a dog or cat in, please take food for that animal. No food taken in, they feed the animal for 7 days & if the animal is not adopted by day 7 & no food is brought in for that specific animal, it is put to sleep. They will keep an animal for adoption beyond 7 days only if food is provided.

It is a nice new bare-bones facility on the left side of the highway on the outskirts of San Pedro, there is a large white sign on a chain link fence that says something like El Centro Municipal de Atención Canina (CMAC). It’s a complex of several small governmental agencies right along the highway, take a right just inside the gate & follow the dirt road about 1/8th mile, the road will curve to the left, just follow it around until it curves to the left again into a paved driveway & that’s it!

They do not have a website yet & no phone yet, but there’s some information (Espanol) about them on the internet:

Siguen sacrificando perros en la Perrera Municipal de La Paz Noticabos.org

So far the only publicity this place gets in on local radio & TV....the vet there was ecstatic when I told her I'd get the word out about them on 2-3 Baja internet sites.

BUT....the km is wrong....the website says km 19….it’s really km 194.

If an animal is adopted, they spay or neuter it at no charge; they give it all the necessary vaccinations before they release it to an adoptive family. There is NO CHARGE to adopt an animal either. Anyone can take a pet in there for free vaccinations, spay or neutering from 8AM – 3 PM Monday - Friday.

Not knowing any of these details when I took the stray in, I headed back towards town & stopped at a feed & seed store & bought two 50 pound bags of adult dog food & one bag of puppy food for the 8 new puppies that someone brought in with no food....that’ll give the dog I took in a month more of life hoping for adoption, the puppies at least a month & several other dogs on death row a little longer to hopefully be adopted. Needless to say, I did not go in the back to look at all the little faces!!

If you’re a dog lover & want to help, please take dog food out....whether you can adopt a pet or not.

Edit #2: It's been brought to my attention that I erred in using the name "Humane Society" in my original post. I come from an area where "humane society", "animal shelter", and "dog pound" are used generically and interchangeably. The actual name of the facility at San Pedro is "El Centro Municipal de Atención Canina" (Municipal Canine Care Center). I apologize for any confusion.

The other information I provided is as given to a Mexican friend and I during our visit there.

Attached Images

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 09-04-10 at 06:41 PM. Reason: #1 Out damn typo!! #2 Name correction #3 Don't ask!
Old 09-01-10, 10:41 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Municipal Canine Care Center - La Paz

Great info Legz - thanks for sharing it...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-02-10, 08:30 AM   #3
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Your a really good person..

After my little Scout got run over, was looking online at adoption of another little Jack Russell from a shelter...

I had to stop looking.. as I knew most of the little ones were not going to make it... and I just could not look at their faces...

Thanks for helping .....
Old 09-02-10, 11:04 AM   #4
AudioBaja

AudioBaja is on a distinguished road

The problem we have is that there are as many stray dogs as people in La Paz. I don't know how they scrounge enough food and water. And they are at least partly, if not mostly responsible for disease and death as they populate the are with fleas, flies and ticks.

Everything that is being done is far too little. I think there are two possible options - one is to spay, neuter and clean up every animal found in La Paz and then put an orange collar on them and release them. LOTS of money time and manpower, but it's possible.

Unfortunately, the only other option that will work is mass murder.

For every dog that is adopted, there are thousands created. There's no way this battle can be won as it is being fought.
Old 09-02-10, 02:53 PM   #5
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBaja
The problem we have is that there are as many stray dogs as people in La Paz. I don't know how they scrounge enough food and water. And they are at least partly, if not mostly responsible for disease and death as they populate the are with fleas, flies and ticks.

Everything that is being done is far too little. I think there are two possible options - one is to spay, neuter and clean up every animal found in La Paz and then put an orange collar on them and release them. LOTS of money time and manpower, but it's possible.

Unfortunately, the only other option that will work is mass murder.

For every dog that is adopted, there are thousands created. There's no way this battle can be won as it is being fought.
Audiobaja, the way I look at it is that when I first came to La Paz in 1999, they were doing virtually nothing to educate the public about responsibilities which most gringos assume & accept as part of being a pet owner. To many Mexicans, they're merely animals, a possession, a form of protection for their house & property at best, and a nuisance & disposable at worst.

Several years ago they began a neighborhood-wide street poisoning program, which IMO, is wrong. They announce on the news to advise people by area to keep pets inside & contained....but if the general public doesn't have their TV or radio on, or doesn't have them period, many pets are killed. It's even harder to keep a cat confined than it is a dog. How many children may have innocently come in contact with the poisoned bait they set out?? Not to mention that the authorities then have to go around & collect & dispose of all the foul, rotting & poison-laden corpses!

They're now beginning to educate in grade schools responsible & humane pet ownership; they actually teach the kids how to to pet their animals & care for their animals, try to instill better nutrition needs as opposed to leaving them to scrounge on the street for food. They teach the importance of fresh water daily. The kids teach the parents by example. Do I think anything will change overnight? NO!! But it is a start in the right direction!!

The Humane Society is another step in the right direction, many animals will be given a second chance at a longer & healthier life. But if adoption isn't in the cards for them, then they will at least be bathed cleaned of fleas & ticks & treated kindly for a week & then their life will be ended with care & more compassion than if they were left to roam, be abused, suffer & die a horrible death through starvation on the streets. There is a crematorium, so they will be disposed of in a much safer & cleaner manner rather than left rotting on the streets.

It's not the perfect solution, it's too remote IMO, but I can understand the necessity for that remoteness....but it is a start!

You obviously view any effort as too little, I view it as a start in the right direction. To me, this didn't evolve to the place it is overnight....not unlike mordita, it is culturally ingrained & it will take several generations to bring about positive change. But I at least applaud the fact that some movement is being made in the right direction & it's being done with respect & compassion toward the animals.

Rarely does life provide the instant gratification that you seem to expect. Harder fought for battles are the most enduring.
Old 09-02-10, 04:31 PM   #6
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys! La Paz does not have a corner on this market. Problems abound NOB, not to mention in so many countries. I often thought that since it appears that people don't want to adopt from the pound because it feels too much like going to a segunda, just perhaps if local governments made the costs onerous to buy pets from pet stores and breeders, by adding hefty taxes on the transaction, just maybe some more folks would consider adopting from the pound. Spaying and neutering only goes so far. If we really want to rescue wonderful animals, the cost of obtaining them from other than the pound really needs to be raised. Money talks. Cost affects people's decisions. Just sayin'.
Old 09-02-10, 06:42 PM   #7
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm very happy to learn of yet another organized humane effort to help the homeless animals here in La Paz. The situation is depressing, but not hopeless, especially with some of the recent initiatives that Longlegs describes. In addition, the Centro de Salud offers free vaccinations and spay/neutering, and I know that some of my neighbors have used their services. Little by little, all these efforts can make a difference.
Old 09-03-10, 10:39 AM   #8
AudioBaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
In addition, the Centro de Salud offers free vaccinations and spay/neutering,.
What are the restrictions on this? From what I've heard, the person has to stay there the entire time and there's a long process involved.

What we need is a place where we can drop off an animal and have them do the rest. Not because of laziness, but no one has the time! I could pick up dozen or two dogs per week, toss them in the pickup and deliver them, but then I'd be doing nothing but dealing with dogs for a month. Which might be fine if I were retired and bored.

IOW, we need a "spay/neuter mill" that can churn faster than the remaining dogs can.

Well, the wife is working on a mayoral campaign, maybe she can plant a bug, depending on who wins.
Old 09-03-10, 10:47 AM   #9
AudioBaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Rarely does life provide the instant gratification that you seem to expect. Harder fought for battles are the most enduring.
Not looking for instant gratification. If we had what I suggest *today*, it would take 20-30 years *minimum* to solve the problem.

But if we don't get real and look at the actual solution, 250,000 dogs will turn into 500,000 or 1,000,000. I passed an obviously baby feeding female today standing out on the sidewalk.

My mother-in-law didn't notice that one of the dogs got fleas, probably passed from a stray, and it apparently killed the dog within a few days (unless it was coincidence). I walked back to deal with the dog and was instantly swarmed by the fleeing fleas and I mean swarmed. Took a lot of fumigation to solve that issue. They quickly passed to the other two dogs, but we were able to get them cleaned up.

This is a serious health issue and there are kids who have gotten sick and died because of it.

"Registered 66 cases of ricketsiosis and and one death in BCS

SSA invited to sterilize their pets and participate with the municipal services of canine control

The rickestsiosis is a disease that is characterized by a febrile illness that occurs from 2-14 days after the tick bite, suffering the temperature hit fever, headache and joint pain.

The problem of Rickettsia that occurred in Baja California where there were about 50 deaths and hundreds of cases diagnosed raised the alarm of the Ministry of Health in the State here, the southern part of the peninsula. The Ministry of Health reported 66 confirmed cases and one death ricketsiosis in La Paz.

The rickestsiosis is a disease that is characterized by a febrile illness that occurs from 2-14 days after the tick bite, the affected suffer high temperature, headache and joint pain. The fever may last two weeks with temperatures of 40 º C. Between the third and sixth days of fever a rash similar to measles. The end of the first week may present neurological symptoms such as agitation, insomnia, delirium. In the second week may show symptoms and pulmonary circulation. This progression occurs as long as it is not the disease can be fatal.

Dr Fernando Moreno Abaroa explains that the diagnoses are not bad, they mean that now can detect diseases that were previously classified as purely febrile. "Realizing that there are ticks that carry Rickettsia makes us see that pets should be handled with greater responsibility." Moreno Abaroa recommends bathing cats and dogs at least every two weeks and implement anti-rabies treatment.

The Director of Health Services in the state said the dog control unit and is educated and is conducting studies acarologist. "We walk dogs groom" to establish which areas of the city show the presence of Viron carrying infectious ticks.

The preventive health policy recommended the Ministry of Health is that pets should be sterilized, for this we have free services provided by the Ministry of Health and the newly installed Control Center Municipal Canino, places that are invited pet owners to participate in a campaign against the tick is the vector of this public health threat."

The PROBLEM, of course, is that for every pet, there are a dozen strays. The pets aren't the source of the issue. The reality is, we need to either sterilize every stray or put them down. It's the only way. Adoptions won't do it. That might handle 1-5% of the problem at best.

It sucks, but that's the reality we have.

Last edited by AudioBaja; 09-03-10 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-03-10, 06:36 PM   #10
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Ok ... lets beak out the "flame throwers" "1080" and get rid of the suckers...

It is what it is.. and seems there is at least "effort"... to make it better... albeit, very slowly

And we are just talking about "dogs" not even the people.....

It a hard life and some situation one runs upon, and very difficult to "look at" let alone change..

Think the "sprit" of kindness is one which must given first, before all...

Just my MOFO and that would be, My Old Feeble Opinion)

Well, two out of three ain't bad...

It all good, having something Baja Gringo introduced me to... over the internet... Cadillac Margarita.. taste just fine.... intend to chase it was an ice old beer.. won't name a brand... fill in your favorite ... have a nice really nice COHIBA Esplendidos Churchill fired up in my room... the wife had her own room ... which will not be fouled by my bad ways...

Life is pretty good today, and its Friday evening.. the weather is great and its a 3 day or .... for ever day weekend... it doesn't get any better that this.. Oh, and I have my Gibson SG setting next to me on a stand with the amp on ..... if I feel the need to bother the neighbors before its late... like I said.. life is pretty good today..

Legs keep us updated on that bad boy.. who got all upset over mom bring a strange dog home.. hope he shows up OK soon !!

Last edited by wessongroup; 09-03-10 at 06:40 PM. Reason: after thought