Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 09-23-10, 04:55 AM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post Juarez editorial ignites a beleaguered Mexico (AP)

AP - A newspaper's stunning, front-page editorial of seeming surrender to drug capos has set off a national debate from the presidential palace to Mexico's equivalent of the water cooler — its ubiquitous town squares.

More...
Old 09-23-10, 06:30 AM   #2
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Juarez editorial ignites a beleaguered Mexico (AP)

A very good question, hope it does not draw to much smoke ..... they are already walking targets, while in that profession... in Mexico
Old 09-23-10, 08:02 AM   #3
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

I fully support both of our government's efforts in this endeavor, and wish them well.

Best of luck folks. You're on your own either way.
Quote:
"What do you want from us?"
Isn't it pretty obvious?

Mostly silence, with an occasional dollop of benign P.R. pap on top.
Old 09-23-10, 12:14 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I have been following the story in the local news loop including a few great news talk shows on later at night out of Mexico City. One of the newsmen here that has really earned my respect for clarity / common sense is Joaquin Lopez Doriga. I agree with his take that this is not so much the paper saying they are giving up but a call for help. They never stated anywhere in the editorial that they had any intentions of following the narco's advice but only asked the question; hoping that the federal government would understand the motivation for the question and listen to the answer.

I am finding more and more down here who have taken the position that it would be better to just quit fighting a war over the movement of a product north across the border the USA seems unwilling / unable to stop and hell bent to consume. There is some logic to support their stance...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-23-10, 03:04 PM   #5
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Ditto's...
Old 09-23-10, 03:21 PM   #6
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

One merely needs to look at Colombia. We have spent untold amounts of taxpayer funds for something akin to naught. Just seems to me that as long as there are so many folks making a living fighting the drug war, there will be no change.