General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 10-28-10, 07:53 AM   #1
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Private messages

I am sure it is obvious (to everyone but me) where I must have made a change in my settings but I wanted to show my wife a message I had gotten last night and I can't find it in my private messages anywhere......
What have I done?
Old 10-28-10, 07:55 AM   #2
soulpatch

Default Re: Private messages

Nevermind....I clicked on my profile and there it was.....odd.
I guess that stores messages differently than my inbox.....
Old 10-28-10, 08:35 AM   #3
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Ayyy; you're not the first, second, or even third person to mistake Visitor Messages for Private Messages...

Everybody can read the former as default; it is a part of your Profile. It is a completely different system than your Private Messages.

I'm not sure what vBulletin had in mind with this feature, but it is very easily mistaken for a Private Message, and they certainly are anything but private.

If you go to your User Control Panel(User CP bold link @ top-left of the page), and then click "Edit Options" under "Setting and Options" you will see a field about halfway down under "Messaging & Notification" called
Quote:
Visitor Messaging
This forum features a visitor messaging system that allows members to send messages to one another publicly.

If you do not want to receive visitor messages, you may disable the visitor messaging system.
Enable Visitor Messaging

You may limit the usage of your visitor messages to just moderators and your contacts.
Limit usage of Visitor Messages to Contacts and Moderators
So you can both disable this feature and/or limit it to only Mods and Contacts.
Old 10-28-10, 10:58 AM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I think that vBulletin wanted to make the software as comprehensive as possible over a large variety of applications, some which could be used on a level resembling more of a social network. I have put together several private, corporate forums for companies who wanted to create an open communication medium between several regional offices where long chains of mass emails made no sense. A few of them really seem to like the visitor messages function but only allow supervisors to use it.

Different strokes I suppose...

We could just deactivate that function here - what do you think???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-28-10, 02:39 PM   #5
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

De-activating Visitor Messages would be fine with me....does anyone INTENTIONALLY use it? I know my first few visits there were by mistake! Now I make sure I'm in private messages! Maybe a poll would be in order?

Different topic, but another frustrating thing for myself (& several others I know who are kinder than me by not publicly commenting!)....please either get rid of, make at least 1/4 of its current vertical height, or maybe move to the bottom that huge "Popular Baja Topics" banner you added to the top many moons ago...it's frustrating to have to scroll down so far to see any posts....even when you change screens, you have to scroll down to see if you ended up where you wanted because that basically unchanging banner takes up sooooo much space. Possibly another poll to preserve anonymity for those who have mentioned it to me, but apparently aren't as willing as I to speak out publicly??

Please?
Old 10-28-10, 04:10 PM   #6
soulpatch

Default I think that would be fine. Amigo:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I think that vBulletin wanted to make the software as comprehensive as possible over a large variety of applications, some which could be used on a level resembling more of a social network. I have put together several private, corporate forums for companies who wanted to create an open communication medium between several regional offices where long chains of mass emails made no sense. A few of them really seem to like the visitor messages function but only allow supervisors to use it.

Different strokes I suppose...

We could just deactivate that function here - what do you think???
Old 10-28-10, 05:34 PM   #7
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
...it's frustrating to have to scroll down so far to see any posts...that basically unchanging banner takes up sooooo much space. Possibly another poll...?

I'm not too keen on the banner either, but it ain't much of a deal for me.
Old 10-28-10, 06:31 PM   #8
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

If we're voting, I'm fine with disabling "visitor messaging", though it's already disabled in my prefs.

I'm totally with Legz on the "popular topics" banner. Is there any way to have it just on the home page? It's disconcerting to click on something and get no visual cue that you've gone anywhere.

Edit: WOW ... awesome!! Many thanks for making the change.

Last edited by kate; 10-29-10 at 07:33 PM. Reason: new info
Old 10-30-10, 11:59 AM   #9
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz

Maybe a poll would be in order?

Have you considered **********? There should be a few in your neighborhood.

Last edited by BajaGringo; 10-30-10 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Play nice...
Old 10-30-10, 01:06 PM   #10
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Thank you!! Thank you!!! I'd have commented sooner....but I backslid on my medical condition & went back to the doc yesterday & have been flipping a coin....heads = just let me die....tails = keep poking/prodding/shoving pills down me & doing total 180's on my diet!

Banner-less is much cleaner & easier!! Muchass Gracias!!
Old 10-30-10, 09:09 PM   #11
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

fwiw- I like the bannerless top (or is it a topless banner ) much better, didn't like it when it showed up. I know the topics are important, so maybe there is a different/other place to feature them other than the previous configuration.

And I can't comment about the Public messaging. I don't think I've run into that before.

Thanks again for running a great forum!

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix