Baja Photo Uploads / Trip Reports Pics from your road trips, fishing and camping adventures. Baja Dogs are welcome...

Old 11-08-10, 10:29 AM   #1
astrobaja

astrobaja is on a distinguished road

Default pics of 2 new projects at Bajadarkskies

Hi all

Work is coming along nicely on our 2 latest projects. One is a horse run in shed/shelter which we have been sorely lacking. After last winters storm, the horses suffered even though we had blankets on them, the one mare dropped a fair bit of weight from all the stress of beating rain and 100 mph winds. So this year we will have a super shelter for them, plus a place to stockplie hay and keep all the tack safe and dry. Thanks to Chava a superb contractor from SQ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	runinshed.jpg

Views:	65

Size:	156.1 KB

ID:	2206  
Old 11-08-10, 10:36 AM   #2
astrobaja

Default Re: pics of 2 new projects at Bajadarkskies

The other project is the start of my roll off roof observatory. This one will be strong as a battleship with its contiguous cement bond beam. Even now the roof pulls off easily with one hand! later a electric motor with magnetic stops will make it a snap to get ready for observing. Big turnbuckles in each corner plus a few truckker tie down straps will ensure that the roof is secure when not in use. This week we will be trying to souce out either rolls of rubber flooring or the tiles like gyms use. I think this will be better than outdoor carpet. Should be ready in the next 2 weeks I would say, then the 30 inch scope gets moved to its new home, Equuleus South observatory.

Equuleus South Clear Sky Chart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	obs1.jpg

Views:	75

Size:	180.0 KB

ID:	2207  
Old 11-08-10, 11:44 AM   #3
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Looking good! I'm sure your horses will appreciate their new shelter. Wind, especially, can be pretty rough on them. Good luck with finishing the observatory.
Old 11-08-10, 01:05 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Wow - that is looking great! Maybe you could even install a geared, hand crank for the roof?

You know me - always thinking of ways to save some amps...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 12-05-10, 11:03 AM   #5
astrobaja

Ron, my old observatory back in Canada had a hand crank to pull off the roof, worked OK but the roof was way heavier than this one, plus the concrete floor was not 100% level so pulling it off was slightly uphill! Not fun!
http://ottawa-rasc.ca/articles/wirth..._obs_pics.html
Anyway Chava built this one perfectly! Plus what a super nice person to boot, thanks so much for introducing us to him, sorry to steal him away from you for so long!

We painted the observatory with lime paint (plus pigment) now we just have to sand the drywall a bit morethen prime and paint the interior. I also want to find a garage door seal of some kind for the south wall. I've got rubber tiles like whats used in gyms on the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	observpainted.jpg

Views:	49

Size:	111.1 KB

ID:	2246  
Old 12-05-10, 11:06 AM   #6
astrobaja

Pamela (and the horses) are very happy with the new shelter, great idea Ron to do the slight overhang! We found a great online source for solar shed lighting. Provides up to 2 hours of LED lighting, you can see the little solar panel on the corner of the building.
Lots of space for saddles, and hay on the inside!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	horsebarn.jpg

Views:	51

Size:	117.8 KB

ID:	2247  
Old 12-06-10, 01:06 AM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Wow Mike - really looking great! Chava is a gem and I knew you would be happy with his work...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic