Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 01-13-11, 07:08 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Default The Baja Love Ride

16-day bike ride to promote Baja California charities

By Sandra Dibble | SDUT
Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 2:04 p.m.

A 1,000-mile bike ride next month between Rosarito Beach and Cabo San Lucas is being promoted as a fundraiser for children's charities along the way. Organizers are counting on another benefit: delivering the message that traveling to Baja California can be safe.

“We’re trying to improve the perception of Baja,” said Bill Spradlin, one of two U.S. citizens living in San Felipe who are organizing the ride.

The 16-day Baja Love Ride is scheduled from February 14th to March 1st. The event’s promoters say participants can sign up for a five-mile stretch, a day-long ride or the entire journey.

The ride’s overnight stops include Ensenada. San Felipe, Guerrero Negro, Mulege, Loreto, La Paz and Todos Santos. The organizers are hoping to raise money through sponsors for the individual riders.

The event has three main beneficiaries so far: The Rosarito Beach branch of the Boys and Girls Club, the Casa de Fé orphanage in San Felipe and Hogar del Niño, an orphanage in Todos Santos. Organizers are hoping to include at least five more organizations.

Spradlin is a custom home builder from San Diego who moved to Mexico seven years ago. Last year, he opened the community’s first orphanage with his wife, Carol.

The other key organizer is John Pack, originally from Santa Barbara, who has been living in San Felipe for six years. He and his wife, Rachel, publish a magazine about Baja California and sell auto insurance for the peninsula.

The Packs and Spradlins have been enlisting the support of riding clubs on both sides of the border and Mexican tourism officials. “The overall feedback has been incredible,” Pack said.

The group’s website is bajaloveride.com.

more...
Old 01-14-11, 09:23 AM   #2
ncampion

ncampion is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The Baja Love Ride

Great, now I know when to not plan a trip up or down the Baja.
Old 01-14-11, 10:19 AM   #3
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncampion
Great, now I know when to not plan a trip up or down the Baja.
These bikers do put themselfs in DANGER along the roadside. For sure.
Old 01-14-11, 10:28 AM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I have had a couple of close calls over the years with bikes on Mex 1. The most amazing thing to me is how few are actually killed on that highway as many as I see try to navigate it with no room to spare between them and passing traffic...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-14-11, 10:57 AM   #5
tripledigitken

tripledigitken is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering just how many are really prepared to travel Mex5 from the end of the pavement to Mex1.

Ken
Old 01-14-11, 12:04 PM   #6
ELINVESTIG8R

ELINVESTIG8R is on a distinguished road

Thank God they will be done just before I go see Mama!

Last edited by ELINVESTIG8R; 01-14-11 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-14-11, 01:29 PM   #7
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripledigitken
I'm wondering just how many are really prepared to travel Mex5 from the end of the pavement to Mex1.

Ken
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the route map. Seems like touring bikes could be a problem there. Yet mountain bikes are really not suited for the majority of the paved section. Think these folks should maybe have gotten over the fact that they live in San Felipe and placed the route strictly on paved roads.
Old 01-14-11, 01:45 PM   #8
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a very difficult route.. have never been down that way... but would imagine it would be pretty difficult on a bike, be it mountain, or touring... a hard ride..

Like the slow walking approach with don kay ... must really getting old.. but, is seems to be about the best way to really get to see a county and met people ... walking..

But, to each their own .... it's ok.. but, my god be careful when it gets to riding on pavement with 18 wheelers doing 60-70 ... they can "suck" you off your seat almost...

Best of luck on a difficult journey, can appreciate the desire to "move" at the slower pace along with the quietness one gets when out of a motorized vehicle .. have hitch hiked a bit when young running away from home.. when 14, 15 and 16... used to like it when there was no one around .... for miles, and miles.. . just the birds and wind.. still remember like it was yesterday... sleeping under bridges ... and the rest... what a nightmare I was ...:
Old 01-15-11, 10:46 AM   #9
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELINVESTIG8R

Thank God they will be done just before I go see Mama!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic