General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-15-11, 12:13 PM   #1
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Default Baja in New Jersey!

Can you believe this? Baja in New Jersey!!!

Baja - A New Experience in Mexican Cuisine
Old 01-15-11, 12:19 PM   #2
Bob H

Default Re: Baja in New Jersey!

I just checked out the menu... nowhere do I see the words "Carne Asada".... !!
Old 01-15-11, 12:27 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

or fish tacos...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-15-11, 12:33 PM   #4
Bob H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
or fish tacos...

Yes, I noticed that also. I think this place is owned by Canadians.... i.e. "The" Baja!!!
Old 01-15-11, 01:45 PM   #5
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
or fish tacos...

You missed it, they used Spanish words!:

TACO DE PESCADO 7.95
A soft homemade flour tortilla stuffed with chunks of red snapper cooked with lemon and vegetables.
Old 01-15-11, 01:47 PM   #6
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
I just checked out the menu... nowhere do I see the words "Carne Asada".... !!
I found 'Tacos de Carne' but not 'asada'... maybe to confusing for the east coast?

The menu looks great... and now I am hungry for Mexican food... THANKS A LOT BOB!
Old 01-15-11, 02:09 PM   #7
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't be too hard on those folks.

True story: I grew up in New York. Graduated from a college on Long Island. Back in the 60s, there were absolutely no Mexican restaurants in the Northeast. Zero. I got my "introduction" to "Mexican food" via Jack in the Box and their sumptuous taco! That was the extent of it.

So, relocating to LA after college, I fell in love with Taco Bell. Actually, there was a great Mexican place a few blocks from where I lived in Van Nuys. They had mariachis every night. And one thing I remember from that time was that Mexican restaurants served bigger meals than they do today. Three or four item combos abounded.
Old 01-15-11, 02:16 PM   #8
Bob H

When I lived in Miami.... from 1953 to 1984... finally Taco Bell arrived in the late 70's. That was my first introduction to Mexican Food. I absolutely loved the big beef burrito supreme (and still do, now and then) stuffed with guac and sour cream!! But, you just can't beat the local Mexican fast food places here in San Diego! There are way too many places to list as the best, for sure.

One of my favorites here in San Diego is Mi Ranchito in Rancho Penesquitos! You gotta try this place. There are some very special places in Chula Vista also!! Ofcourse.
Old 01-15-11, 02:29 PM   #9
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowod
I got my "introduction" to "Mexican food" via Jack in the Box and their sumptuous taco! That was the extent of it.
To this day i still miss those greasey things. I lived in Houston Tx and JACK IN THE BOX was the only fast food that stayed open after the BAR'S closed you could get them 3 for a dollar 2 dollars and I was set.
good hangover prevention.
Old 01-15-11, 02:32 PM   #10
Bob H

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
To this day i still miss those greasey things. I lived in Houston Tx and JACK IN THE BOX was the only fast food that stayed open after the BAR'S closed you could get them 3 for a dollar 2 dollars and I was set.
good hangover prevention.

Hangover! What is that????
Old 01-15-11, 02:48 PM   #11
Bajahowodd

Greasey is almost an understatement. They just dripped oil. But, as with so many foods that are not good for you, they were addictive.

Reminds me. Speaking of fast food Mexican back in the dark ages, anyone remember a chain called Pup 'N Taco? 25 cent hot dogs and tacos. Mix or match.Kinda makes today's ubiquitous "Dollar Menu" seem like highway robbery. If my memory serves me, I think Taco Bell actually bought them out and converted them.
Old 01-15-11, 03:50 PM   #12
J.P.

In the town I gerw up in while in school we could eat in the cafeteria for 50cts. down the street there was a CONEY ISLAND you could get two CONEY'S with CHILI and CHEESE and have enough left over for a rack of POOL Guess which way we went.
Old 01-15-11, 05:37 PM   #13
Bob H

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
In the town I gerw up in while in school we could eat in the cafeteria for 50cts. down the street there was a CONEY ISLAND you could get two CONEY'S with CHILI and CHEESE and have enough left over for a rack of POOL Guess which way we went.
RACK of POOL!!!
Old 01-15-11, 06:10 PM   #14
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Another victim of the Jack-in-the-Box taco. This was in the early '70s in Cambridge, MA. I loved those things! Later I was living in Ohio when Taco Bell arrived, and it also became a hangout. Crunch Taco Supreme and Cheesy Gordito Crunch are my favorites now.
Old 01-15-11, 06:26 PM   #15
J.P.

I lived in Houston Tx. for many years .and became greatly addicter to Tex. Mex. to this day nothing compares. Well maybe the baja Carne Asarda. But alas those days are over it looks like. Monday I was diagnosed with Congestive heart failure. looks like i will have to dramaticaly alter my eating habits if i expect to be around any longer.
Old 01-15-11, 11:37 PM   #16
Bob H

The absolutely best Mexican food is found in San Diego......... hands down!
Old 01-16-11, 01:59 PM   #17
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

I tend to agree with that, having somewhat grown up in S.D. My younger sister got a gig as a quality control shopper for Jack. She got so tired of them that when I came home on college vacations she would bring me sacks of them if I'd fill out the form.

Moving around a lot and missing Mexican food I would scour cities for them. There was one in NYC, howodd, in the sixties; The Mexican Village and it was a tiny hole in the wall (all the best ones were back then) a couple of blocks south of Washington Square. It was very good.
Old 01-16-11, 02:11 PM   #18
Bajahowodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
I tend to agree with that, having somewhat grown up in S.D. My younger sister got a gig as a quality control shopper for Jack. She got so tired of them that when I came home on college vacations she would bring me sacks of them if I'd fill out the form.

Moving around a lot and missing Mexican food I would scour cities for them. There was one in NYC, howodd, in the sixties; The Mexican Village and it was a tiny hole in the wall (all the best ones were back then) a couple of blocks south of Washington Square. It was very good.
I did not know that. Can't understand how I never stumbled upon it. Truth be told, from high school through college, the Village was my home away from home. From Washington Square South to Houston. Met many icons of the folk movement. I played guitar. Once sat in with Dave Van Ronk for a gig at Cafe Wha? on McDougal. Maybe I was too impaired to have spotted the Mexican Village. Pot and cheap wine drank from a bag. Once had my photo taken leaning on a railing outside the Nightowl Cafe on W. 4th, holding my brown bag and flipping the bird. Photo appeared on page three of the Post.

Last edited by Bajahowodd; 01-16-11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-16-11, 02:38 PM   #19
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Duh....would never have guessed that about ya.... Most people in the Village were "impaired". Must have been something in the air. Amazing any of us can remember where anything was.

I'm really pulling from the depths of memory but I think it was on Stewart, which was really really narrow.
Old 01-16-11, 02:45 PM   #20
Bajahowodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
Duh....would never have guessed that about ya.... Most people in the Village were "impaired". Must have been something in the air. Amazing any of us can remember where anything was.

I'm really pulling from the depths of memory but I think it was on Stewart, which was really really narrow.
Did you ever get over to the Village Vanguard? Just about all the jazz greats of the era played there. Wow! Just checked and they are still chuggin' along.
Village Vanguard