Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 02-07-11, 02:06 PM   #1
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Schooling in La Paz

I have been getting some very helpful emails from people that have immigrated to La Paz regarding schooling.
I am very appreciative of this. It appears that private school will be the way to go.
If any of you have suggestions of people I should communicate with I would appreciate it.
I will have to say that people have, with the exception of one or two wing-nuts out there, been very supportive and helpful to us in this endeavor.
Thanks to all of you who have taken their personal time to help a stranger and his family.
Old 02-07-11, 03:01 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Schooling in La Paz

We are all strangers and close friends, rolled into one in this journey Frank. Moving to ¨La Baja ¨ (sorry Terry ) is an adventure in itself and those of us already here had some help along the way and now it is our turn to pass it along.

I think I speak for most here when I say how much we enjoy sharing in your planning steps as it reminds us of what we went through back when. It is scary and exciting at the same time and I wouldn´t trade it for anything...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-07-11, 03:52 PM   #3
soulpatch

Thank you,
That actually means a lot to me. I am enjoying this process and I tend to investigate things that are of import to me maybe a bit too much....and then, well, I go on what my gut tells me.

Now, something of extreme importance: In celebration of "la baja" I think I will start referring to myself in a strange form of the 3rd person as "El Frank".
Old 02-07-11, 03:54 PM   #4
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

El Paco...............drop the kids off at Leggs place........I'm sure they will get a perfect education!!!!!!
Old 02-07-11, 04:06 PM   #5
BajaGringo

"El Paco" it is then...

Old 02-07-11, 04:09 PM   #6
soulpatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
El Paco...............drop the kids off at Leggs place........I'm sure they will get a perfect education!!!!!!
Well, they do love Legos.... They could probably read her plans and construct foam houses in short order.

Me? I am much better at tearing stuff down than assembling.
Old 02-07-11, 04:18 PM   #7
Teniente

I'm sure that the way she likes kids, they will be in good hands!!!!!!
Old 02-07-11, 05:15 PM   #8
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was Franco.
Old 02-07-11, 05:24 PM   #9
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Uhhhhhhh.....Yes, I DO like kids....well-mannered preferably! But the only kids I've raised have had either fur & 4 legs....feathers & 2 legs or fins & no legs! So if you're kids need to taught to Sit! Stay! or sit up for a treat, then I could probably help out. I actually have a two-volume set of The Worlds Best Fairy Tales, which I gave to a 3-4 year old for Christmas in the mid-80's....whose mother promptly returned them to me along with the comments that the same classic fairy tales she & I grew up with were WAY to violent & her son would never get that type of violence read to him! Nor would he be allowed to read it once he started reading on his own! He's probably graduated to Playboy & Hustler by now!

You want to take off for an adults only day (not to be confused with week or month), I'd be happy to hang with your kids! What are their skill-sets? Any good at digging? Pruning? Planting? Painting? Pool cleaning? Reaming builders? No? It's a given that they're too short to do windows! Dang! You mean I gotta take them shell hunting on the beach?

Sorry, I can't help with any school recommendations, but I'd wait until you figure out where you want to live & check closest private schools since you'll have to take them & pick them up. Or you could find a school you really like & then look in that area for a casa.

In my social circle, I think that Dusty is the only person I know who might have friends with appropriate age kids or grandchildren.

If I were you El Franko, I'd be asking Teniente exactly what he's basing his glowing references on....since his granddaughters & their dog never showed up on my doorstep!
Old 02-07-11, 05:48 PM   #10
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
I thought it was Franco.
or "El Pancho Patcho"...

Old 02-07-11, 07:19 PM   #11
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
If I were you El Franko, I'd be asking Teniente exactly what he's basing his glowing references on....since his granddaughters & their dog never showed up on my doorstep!

Aw,...... Leggs, they always speak well of you.......even if you wanted them to clean your pool!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kids & Haley.jpeg

Views:	71

Size:	60.6 KB

ID:	2446  
Old 02-07-11, 08:20 PM   #12
soulpatch

Wow, what pretty grandkids you have!
Wait till you see my gemelos with their red hair....of course they are boy/girl and on either side of a chocolate lab.
Labs.....the eternal giant lap dog....just ask 'em
Old 02-07-11, 08:35 PM   #13
Teniente

Yeah, they take after their Grumpy!!!!!

Labs are the BEST with kids!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-11, 02:16 AM   #14
oladulce

oladulce is on a distinguished road

Teniente, what a couple of cutie pies.
Old 02-09-11, 06:06 AM   #15
Teniente

Thank you, dulce, but please.....don't encourage them!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-11, 10:49 AM   #16
soulpatch

Now that my trip is getting very close I thought I would re-visit this.
Bajatripper has offered to set up a tour of the school his daughter attends. We are open to the public and private options in addition to homeschooling.
I looked at Escuela Pacifica's site over in Todos Santos and it seems, from a distance, like a good program at around $3000MXN/month per student.
It seems like many things are more expensive in Todos but I don't know if that applies to education.
I know the majority of you are well removed from having to educate young ones but if you have any knowledge of good schools or contacts I would love to have your insight and help.
Old 05-05-11, 04:29 PM   #17
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
Now that my trip is getting very close I thought I would re-visit this.
Bajatripper has offered to set up a tour of the school his daughter attends. We are open to the public and private options in addition to homeschooling.
I looked at Escuela Pacifica's site over in Todos Santos and it seems, from a distance, like a good program at around $3000MXN/month per student.
It seems like many things are more expensive in Todos but I don't know if that applies to education.
I know the majority of you are well removed from having to educate young ones but if you have any knowledge of good schools or contacts I would love to have your insight and help.
Amigo. I'm am clueless about the education opportunities in the LA Paz area. But, I do know that the trip from La Paz to Todos and back every day is something I really wouldn't want to subject my kid to, unless the opportunity was a huge improvement over anything I could find in La Paz.

Then, if an overwhelmingly great opportunity arose for your kids in Todos, you might just have to reconsider where you are going to live. It is a given, though, that you will be able to get more for your money in the La Paz area, as far as housing is concerned, than in Todos.

You can "blame" the late Charles Stewart for that.
Old 05-05-11, 05:55 PM   #18
soulpatch

No, we wouldn't commute. It was just a comparison. If they went to school in Todos we would live there.
Old 05-05-11, 08:01 PM   #19
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmmm....somehow you don't strike me as a TS kinda guy!
Old 05-05-11, 09:36 PM   #20
soulpatch

Yeah, not seeing it that way either..... It was just a basis of comparison. I need to do a little more research on schools and I was just trying to establish a baseline.
Man, I gotta be mo' clear. I must be losing my touch.