Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 04-08-11, 09:03 AM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Americans Killed at San Ysidro Border: Road Rage?

Sergio Salcido Luna Murder: The Inside Scoop

The Faster Times | Mason Lerner
April 6, 2011

Everybody with a laptop and internet hook up is writing about the murder of professional mixed martial artist Sergio Salcido Luna at the US/Mexico border. So far details are sketchy, but one of Luna’s team members shared the inside scoop as of right now on his personal blog, TheRealFallenAngel.com.

Luna, who sported a 4-5 professional record before his death, was a member of the Goon Squad fighting team, based in Rensselaer, IN. Luna is not listed on the Goon Squad’s “fighters page”, but he is featured on Sherdog. Clearly, he was a legitimate pro dedicated to mixed martial arts. The previously mentioned blogger is Goon Squad team leader “The Fallen Angel” Dominique Robinson.

Here is what he had to say:

It’s a sad day today. MMA fighter, Goon Squad member, and my good friend Sergio Salcido Luna was killed today at 2:40am, heading to work from Mexico back into the U.S. From what I have heard so far they got into a verbal confrontation with someone while driving, whether they knew the person or not is unknown, and the person, unbeknown to them, followed them. While waiting to cross the border, the man walked up the row of cars and let off five shots from a 9mm and killed both Sergio (25) and his friend Kevin Joel Romero (28).

So the early rumblings are that this is a case of road rage, which is certainly plausible. Although Luna was far from a high profile fighter, any time there is a murder on the border in broad daylight, it is going to get some press. We hope. Sprinkle in a little bit of celebrity by associating one of the victims with a mainstream pro sport, and you have the intrigue you need to insure a lot of attention.

It will be interesting to see if this really was a road rager gone out of control or if we are just in chapter one of a developing future Investigation Discovery expose that my wife and I will veg out and watch many, many times.

Either way, it is a tragedy. Every day we read about more and more death and destruction in the news. It becomes easy to be desensitized. But Sergio Salcido Luna is dead and gone, and the tragedy is very real. Every time someone gets murdered, we as a species, take another step backwards, no matter what the details of the case are.

It seems impossible, but I really like imagining a day in which the only violence I read about when sipping my morning joe and scanning the headline took place in an Octagon or ring.

It hurts that we lost another person to senseless violence. A true fighter gunned down by a coward. It just makes no sense.

The Faster Times / MMA

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-08-11, 12:20 PM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Americans Killed at San Ysidro Border: Road Rage?

Here's rooting for the Random Road Rage theory...

Here's another one.
Old 04-08-11, 01:15 PM   #3
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
Here's rooting for the Random Road Rage theory...

Here's another one.
Yikes - hope this isn't another trend making a comeback...

Old 04-09-11, 04:51 PM   #4
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

But do not even think about legislation that can provide a greater level of control over gun ownership and usage. Crazies can buy guns. The amount of lethal potential since the demise of the assualt weapons ban has grown enormously.

Frankly, I just don't get the idea that any attmept to limit the gun carnage in the US is a direct effort to ban weapons. This, my friends, the paranoia amongst the NRA folks, has been the detererent for finding a responsble middle ground on legal ownership and usage.

Gawd. The Gabby Giffords thing makes me want to puke. That awful clown had no right to have what he had. There must be more scrutiny of purchases and ownership; not to mention that automatic weapons have no place in the civil society.
Old 04-10-11, 06:41 AM   #5
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Would think twice nowadays about trying to do a number on another driver... for some screw up.... and its a given I can't even take my wife out any more... due to legal, moral, religous and just plain common sense... I go to sleep... and there is not too much worse, than getting a woman pissed off at ya, with access to a knife ... does the name Bobbitt ring a bell

But, that's not "road rage" not sure what ya call that kind of rage...

But, for the "road rage" a lot of folks are in fact packing ... and it should be something one takes into consideration State side anymore... when driving and ya think about doing some of those things one does... when almost killed by someone "texting while driving" or any number of really lame stuff folks seem to do while (driving?) around...

Back in the day... guys just used their fists ..... not anymore .... they use guns...
Old 04-10-11, 08:16 AM   #6
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
Back in the day... guys just used their fists ..... not anymore .... they use guns...
That's the way it was on the schoolyard when I grew up...

Old 04-18-11, 12:03 PM   #7
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Found this in England... where they don't have guns...

The approach to dealing with road rage was a bit different

Road Rage Revenge!! Video
Old 04-18-11, 12:43 PM   #8
Marty Cortez

Dang; what was that bump?
Old 04-18-11, 01:51 PM   #9
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Methinks there is more to this story than "simple" road rage.............
Old 04-18-11, 02:10 PM   #10
Marty Cortez

Absolutely. In the first few frames windshield guy is conferring with a few associates, while driver gets up with some kind of weapon in his hand.

After the speedbump the guys gather round. You have to wonder the source of the vid; doesn't look like a surveillance camera.