Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 04-10-11, 07:47 AM   #1
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

Default No Crime concerns in the US

There is a large amount of comments made on the local Comment Boards about how nasty things are in Mexico. They are not alone! We cast a lot of stones but do have major issues.
This is more universal than people would like to think! How much is the nature of the Human????

Gang rape alarms residents of Calif. suburb
By GILLIAN FLACCUS - Associated Press
Published: 04/10/11

0 Comments
Email Storyclose Email Story MORENO VALLEY, Calif. — The alleged gang rape of an 11-year-old girl in a park in the Southern California community of Moreno Valley has horrified residents, who are seeking answers.

Police say the girl was walking home from school in the commuter city 70 miles southeast of Los Angeles when an older girl lured her to a park, where seven teens raped and sodomized her in a public bathroom.

Four of the teens are facing charges in juvenile court and a fifth will be arraigned this week on adult charges.

The attack took place in a planned community of about 4,000 homes and has blindsided residents there.

Authorities say the defendants are members of a homegrown gang called the Southside Mafia that popped up a few years ago

Read more: Gang rape alarms residents of Calif. suburb | US News | Idaho Statesman
Old 04-10-11, 08:11 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: No Crime concerns in the US

Violence is like a virus - it is highly contagious. What a tragic event...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-10-11, 08:19 AM   #3
bob r

I was in Loreto in the early 80's and friendly with the Local Police. Every morning Police would be at the local School crossings for traffic control. They are very sensitive where Children are concerned. It was noticed that a Person was bothering the young children on several occasions. I asked one of my acquaintances what the deal was. " He said, no problemo"!
The person was never seen again.
Old 04-10-11, 10:14 AM   #4
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

If I were to slather online all the San Diego violent crime I read about, I'd do nothing else. Family in law enforcement tells me the same thing.

There is little doubt that as the whole world craters financially, there will be an enormous spike in crime out of desperation. We are much more selfish, and quite a bit less civil, than society was in the 30s.

Some say we should prepare by releasing non-violent offenders before we have to turn every type loose due to non-funding. Given our governments' track record, I think the latter quite likely. We'll deny, deny, deny, and then go catatonic as reality imposes itself.

Prepare accordingly.
Old 04-10-11, 11:03 AM   #5
bob r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
If I were to slather online all the San Diego violent crime I read about, I'd do nothing else. Family in law enforcement tells me the same thing.

There is little doubt that as the whole world craters financially, there will be an enormous spike in crime out of desperation. We are much more selfish, and quite a bit less civil, than society was in the 30s.

Some say we should prepare by releasing non-violent offenders before we have to turn every type loose due to non-funding. Given our governments' track record, I think the latter quite likely. We'll deny, deny, deny, and then go catatonic as reality imposes itself.

Prepare accordingly.
Are we joining the NRA?
Old 04-10-11, 04:28 PM   #6
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

The NRA would certainly hope so!
Old 04-10-11, 08:18 PM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Crime statistics are like economic indicators. Finding the real truth can be an elusive task at times. They keep telling us that crime is down NOB yet every member of my family currently working in law enforcement, which includes at the local, state and federal levels all tell me that criminals today are a much different breed and far more dangerous. Thirty years ago it was rare to make an arrest and find the subject armed. Today it is becoming the norm and why LE approaches every stop as potentially life threatening.

They are especially concerned about the youngest crop of criminals now coming out of inner city areas hard hit by the bad economy, lack of employment opportunities, foreclosures, failing infrastructure and social services facing cuts. These young kids they encounter on the streets today are armed with automatic weapons, using drugs and facing the day with little concern that they might be arrested or ever see tomorrow.

A very dangerous mix and these kids scare them more than anything they have seen before...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-10-11, 08:30 PM   #8
bob r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Crime statistics are like economic indicators. Finding the real truth can be an elusive task at times. They keep telling us that crime is down NOB yet every member of my family currently working in law enforcement, which includes at the local, state and federal levels all tell me that criminals today are a much different breed and far more dangerous. Thirty years ago it was rare to make an arrest and find the subject armed. Today it is becoming the norm and why LE approaches every stop as potentially life threatening.

They are especially concerned about the youngest crop of criminals now coming out of inner city areas hard hit by the bad economy, lack of employment opportunities, foreclosures, failing infrastructure and social services facing cuts. These young kids they encounter on the streets today are armed with automatic weapons, using drugs and facing the day with little concern that they might be arrested or ever see tomorrow.

A very dangerous mix and these kids scare them more than anything they have seen before...
As a note on the statistics, having worked with several local Police departments over the years, I have observed the need for justification of their budgets by utilization of statistics. As an example, crime is down by x factor from last year. We had x calls this year and only x percentage was a major crime. Thus major crime was down from last year due to excellent Police work and we need to maintain or increase our budget to continue this trend. Well what the chief did was have all officer calls used as part of the x factor, to increase the officer calls he had all vehicles that required tow service to have an officer present, any tow company in the City had to call an officer prior to tow service or risk their license. Thus increased volume of non-threatening nature but showed more officer need. Very interesting how every three years they change the reporting categories and thus there is no stable comparison for different criteria. Works for the budget utilizing the fear factors yet enhancing the perception of your work.
Old 04-11-11, 03:38 PM   #9
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo

And how do we deal with this problem? We allow the ban on automatic weapons to expire, and we cut government spending in areas that will ensure a loss of jobs and job opportunities.

Not only could we cut our defense budget by half and still have the largest defense budget in the world, but check this out.

How to halve the deficit by doing nothing - Ezra Klein - The Washington Post