General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 07-15-09, 05:12 PM   #1
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

Default bee sting remedies

We moved from the wet-side of Washington state, which had relatively few stinging insects, to the dry side, which has MANY stinging insects! Yellowjackets, wasps, bald-faced hornets, honey bees, mason bees...we've been tagged by them all!

The first summer we lived here, I was carrying our 6 month old son from the car to the house, and when we got into the house, there was a huge welt on his cheek and he was screaming. I never did see that yellowjacket.

Over the years, and from multiple stings, hubby has become highly allergic to the stings. He got tagged by 2 yellowjackets within 2 weeks. The first one, not a big deal, the usual swelling and redness. The second one almost sent him into anaphylactic (sp?) shock! With some people, the more stings they have over time, they will become more reactive to the stings.

We used to carry the Epi-pen. Had a couple stashed in vehicles also. We were headed out in the work truck one day with the toddler in tow. The truck had an epi-pen in the glovebox.......... we stopped to move a sprinkler and by the time we got back in the truck he had found the pen, opened it, and jabbed himself in the leg! He didn't manage to actually inject himself but the epi-pen was done for.

I'd like to share a product that has worked wonders for my highly-allergic husband and for my youngster...and myself!

This is a homeopathic product available at most health food stores.
Manufacturer- Hyland's
Product- Apis Mell. (abbreviated apis mellafica)

I don't know if it's available south of border, but it's worth looking for.

My husband got stung on the neck and it was swelling up to the point of cutting off air supply. 4 tablets every 4 hours, it took down the swelling and counteracted the allergic reaction. We have never had any side-effects from using this product. We keep a supply of them in all the work vehicles.

And it's safe for kids!

'Nuts0.5 (the 10 year old)...seems to have a really bad reaction to any kind of bug bite. For most people, a mosquito bite will be a 1/2" itchy welt. He gets a 2" red lump. Hyland's significantly calms down the allergic reactions and swelling.

Other sting remedies-
If you don't have access to the Hyland's tablets, Benadryl-type products will help counteract the histamines, ice will help the swelling, and...(if you're over-21) a shot of tequila will help you get a happy face back.

I may have to start an export/import business if Hyland's isn't available in Baja!

(hey.........that's another business to list on the corporation's ventures...... bee sting therapy! OH YEAH!)

I hope this helps. It's helped our family MANY times, I hope it helps yours.
A~
Attached Images

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Old 07-15-09, 05:53 PM   #2
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: bee sting remedies

forgot to add...please feel free to add other bee sting remedies you may know of. This is one product I know of (plus the benadryl...) and would like others to know about. If you know of other remedies, feel free to post!

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Old 07-16-09, 11:25 AM   #3
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

100% pure Tea Tree Oil (oil of melaleuca alternifolia) from Australia, and sold all over the U.S. at health food type store, etc. Also available from marketing reps of Melaleuca Inc. of Idaho (albeit higher priced)... they have many products containing tea tree (melaleuca) oil.... shampoos, cleaners, first aid products...

The natural oil counteracts/ neutrilizes insect poison very well. All skin problems, such as cuts, sunburn, burns, bites can be treated with the oil.

I always have a bottle in my truck... use it a lot in my outdoor work... buy it at Henry's Market, usually... about $10 for a one ounce bottle... last months.
Old 07-16-09, 11:20 PM   #4
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

"Tea Tree oil is a topical anti- fungal and anti-bacterial"

It may sanitize the sting site, but it won't neutralize the venom under your skin or prevent shock or anaphylactic shock. It's no help for people who have allergic reactions to bee/wasp stings.
Old 07-17-09, 07:18 AM   #5
Nighttrain

Nighttrain is on a distinguished road

Very timely thread. The bees this year seem more aggressive than in past years. I don't know of they're of the Africanized strain, but they sure are nasty.
Old 07-17-09, 03:54 PM   #6
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

That's great the homeopathic remedy works for you.
Still, I highly recommend get an Epi-pen. They now produce one called a Twin-ject that has two doses in it.
The epinephrine followed by benadryl is important. The epi interrupts the reaction and reverses it and the benadryl addresses the histamine production.
Anaphylaxis is something you don't want to mess with, having been there a few times myself.
Old 07-17-09, 04:12 PM   #7
Keri

Keri is on a distinguished road

Can you get an epi pen in Baja? Do you need a Dr's prescription?,k
Old 07-17-09, 04:41 PM   #8
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Soulpatch, for those of us who live here full-time, epi-pen isn't a totally viable option. They aren't sold here, they have a relatively short shelf life & from what I've heard, they're kinda spendy. NOT that my life isn't worth it....but I've come up with a plan using locally available products that works for me....well it did until last week when as I feared, the Benedryl I carry in my the glove compartment tasted absolutely gross from baking in the heat. I still used it, but decided that I'll switch to carrying it in my purse to avoid the temperature extremes of the car & try the pills; if they work for me, that'd be a lot easier to carry with less potential for degrading because of the heat. Last week was a bee sting, which I do have a bad reaction to, but it's always been a localized reaction (so far!) I self-treat & self-monitor for bee stings. Wasp stings are a WHOLE NUTHER game plan!

Because I've only gone in to anaphylactic shock from wasp stings, I ALWAYS head for ER immediately....swigging Benedryal on the way. Until I can test out the efficacy of the pills for me personally, I'd still head for ER....jist in case!
Old 07-17-09, 05:09 PM   #9
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Smile Re: bee sting remedies

Legs- Pregunta. When you say epi pens are not available, are you referring to over the counter? Or is it a product that is just not available (strangely) in Mexico? I ask because if they are prescription, and you must go to the hospital just to get the Rx, it would be worth it. I've been through some very weird allergic reactions in my time. Just think that the best possible prophylactic should be available. And I'm happy to see that you are still among us.
Old 07-17-09, 05:38 PM   #10
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

My son is allergic to bee stings and has an epi-pen... Anyone who is allergic should have it, period. Epi-pens are NOT available in Mexico... I went to pharmacies in Tijuana and El Rosario one trip to find out. Costco has a double dose for the price of a single dose at other pharmacies... needs a perscription.

The rest of you, tea tree oil has been documented to neutrilize the venom for poisonous insects... I have the books with cases named in Australia where people have survived the bite of a funnel web spider by applying tea tree (melaleuca) oil.

My daughter and son have both been stung by bees and I was able to get the tea tree oil on the area quicky... My daughter's pain soon ended and my son didn't go into shock... Maybe we got the stinger out before it pumped much venom in, but he was okay, none-the-less.

The small bottle is so easy to take with you hiking or driving... There must be some details online on it... so don't just take my first hand experiences for proof.
Old 07-17-09, 05:53 PM   #11
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

I know we've had this conversation elsewhere so I'll keep it short for what it's worth.
I don't know much but I do know a little about allergies.
Epi actually will last over a year. You can buy it in vials that you load into syringes yourself. It also effects the reaction itself rather than the side effect of histamine production.
I would suggest talking to a physician since reactions that severe typically worsen with each exposure as your immune system becomes more "efficient".
Just consider it a daily cost of living expense. Or, don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Soulpatch, for those of us who live here full-time, epi-pen isn't a totally viable option. They aren't sold here, they have a relatively short shelf life & from what I've heard, they're kinda spendy. NOT that my life isn't worth it....but I've come up with a plan using locally available products that works for me....well it did until last week when as I feared, the Benedryl I carry in my the glove compartment tasted absolutely gross from baking in the heat. I still used it, but decided that I'll switch to carrying it in my purse to avoid the temperature extremes of the car & try the pills; if they work for me, that'd be a lot easier to carry with less potential for degrading because of the heat. Last week was a bee sting, which I do have a bad reaction to, but it's always been a localized reaction (so far!) I self-treat & self-monitor for bee stings. Wasp stings are a WHOLE NUTHER game plan!

Because I've only gone in to anaphylactic shock from wasp stings, I ALWAYS head for ER immediately....swigging Benedryal on the way. Until I can test out the efficacy of the pills for me personally, I'd still head for ER....jist in case!