Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 05-01-11, 12:15 PM   #1
deportes

deportes is on a distinguished road

Default Hola Cuates de Baja!

Hello to all Baja friends! I have been lurking around for a few days, also at nomads! Thanks for maintaining a great site for all and us soon to become Baja aficionados.

A little about me for the forum and Baja Gringo who asks for little personal info but (most) do not reply.We live in northern Ca and looking at retirement in a few years. I was born in Chile and moved to el D.F. Ciudad de Mexico where I went to high school. After HS I moved to Northern Ca. between Sfco. and Sacramento. I live with my gringita and my three gringitos.
And a couple of perritos.
My plans seem to be changing and that's why I find myself researching info about Baja,

My original plans were to retire and spend the winter months in Chile and summer in the US traveling with a fifth wheel. Not sure where the kids will end up after finishing college therefore living close to the US is becoming more and more a requirement after retiring.

We are looking for a place that will require very little AC or heating. Don't want to waste my small retirement paying for utilities! That's where Baja becomes interesting as the north of a farther away place, Chile. Arica, Chile has great weather but is far, far away.

Baja also is reachable by car, pets and children on vacation from the US as well as traveling north to visit family in Canada, i maybe grand kids in a few years.
I am planning a driving trip to Baja in the very near future to start looking around, need to start checking out places / areas. I think the farthest south I am looking at is San Quintin.
My gringita and I do not like the heat, so Baja Sur sounds a little hot for living.

Baja Gringo decided to settle in San Quintin? Any reasons that make San Quintin the place?

I may bring down a friend that is also looking at retiring away from N Ca. in a couple of years to do some research.

I would like to take a couple of weeks recognizance trip, driving a gas miser, 1994 Saturn. Do you suggest taking a tent? Do not want to spend much specially with my wife staying home. All we would need is a tent, a couple of recliners, surf fishing pole and cooler for food. Please let me know what you think should be the best way to spend two weeks looking at in Baja. We are mainly interested in researching future retirement places, towns, accommodations, condos on sale, may rent initially unless prices now are so convenient that it would make sense instead of waiting for real estate to recover.

That's all for now Baja friends..
Old 05-01-11, 01:52 PM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hola Cuates de Baja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deportes
...I would like to take a couple of weeks recognizance trip, driving a gas miser, 1994 Saturn. Do you suggest taking a tent?...
Hello, and
to the forum!

I used to tent camp a looong time ago, but it's kind of a hassle to set up and pack up every time you move.
I'd way prefer a pickup/camper, camper van conversion, or maybe in your case
a very small, lightweight popup or regular trailer. That way when you find somewhere you like, you could unhitch and cruise around a little easier.

I'd lean toward a very small, regular trailer myself. The tent/pop-ups are still a tent(albeit with the kitchen/seating all ready-to-go), and they're almost as much hassle as setting up a tent camp.

With that regular one you can park somewhere, jump in and make lunch, eat and rest a bit out of the sun and wind, then start driving again...with zero setup.
Old 05-01-11, 03:17 PM   #3
deportes

Thanks Marty, that's a possibility.
Old 05-01-11, 06:54 PM   #4
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Welcome to TalkBaja, Deportes. You came to the right place.
There's a lot to see between the border and SQ, so take your time and c'mon down and look around. You may even like it out here at Punta Banda.
My only suggestion at this time is, don't allow yourself to be too isolated. It may sound cool to be off on your own, but it's a bad idea.
Old 05-01-11, 07:59 PM   #5
deportes

Dennis, that's another great point. Thanks.
Old 05-02-11, 12:03 PM   #6
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum deportes. We chose San Quintin as it offered the best combination of weather, lifestyle and distance from the border that we wanted. We are actually outside of San Quintin and our typical summer days are about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than in town and our winter nights 5 to 10 degrees warmer out here on the west side of the volcanoes by the beach.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-02-11, 05:04 PM   #7
deportes

BajaGringo, thanks for your reply! San Quintin sounds like the perfect place for us, how hot does it get in the summer and how cold does it get in the winter? I saw that you have a wood stove in your beautiful new house.It doesn't look like you have A/C. Are US citizens allowed /able to buy water front property like yours in Mexico? I do have family in Mex City that could be on the property name if necessary. Do you mind me asking what was the approx per foot construction cost in your area. I am a few years away from retirement but would like to start dreaming ASAP.
Great site you guys have, thanks.
Old 05-02-11, 06:55 PM   #8
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Hey Ron....are you in the grid down there? I forgot.
Old 05-02-11, 07:06 PM   #9
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deportes
...how hot does it get in the summer and how cold does it get in the winter? I saw that you have a wood stove in your beautiful new house.It doesn't look like you have A/C. Are US citizens allowed /able to buy water front property like yours in Mexico? I do have family in Mex City that could be on the property name if necessary. Do you mind me asking what was the approx per foot construction cost in your area.
It depends on whether you are talking in San Quintin or out here on the beach. In town the summer highs can reach 100 on the worst days. Out here on the beach we rarely see anything over 85. In winter it can get down to freezing on a few cold nights in town but we never see it below the mid to high 40's.

Do your homework before you buy here. Lots of parcels here are involved in the national land title dispute. Once you have that figured out you can decide if you want to go fideicomiso or use a relative on the title.

Cost per sq foot varies a lot based on whether you are the general contractor, doing all the purchasing of materials, playing a "hands-on" role, how basic/upgraded you are looking for, etc etc etc.

Finding a good, reliable maestro is the biggest key to getting what you want at a fair price IMHO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Hey Ron....are you in the grid down there? I forgot.
We are off-grid Dennis. Currently producing about 12 kW per day on a wind/solar hybrid system with 30 kW of battery backup and a 6.6 kW generator that we only use for welding or running the cement mixer all day long. It really is working out well...

Old 05-03-11, 04:29 PM   #10
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Kudos. I say that because there's a big dif between those who want to be off grid in places where they could be hooked up, versus your situation of living with what you've got, or nada.

I guess it kinda separates the men from the boys.
Old 05-03-11, 08:24 PM   #11
BajaGringo

It has been a lot of work to get to this point and today I feel more confident of our power situation than any time before when we lived on the grid. It has been a very interesting, learning experience...