Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 05-02-11, 11:24 AM   #1
Chupacabra

Chupacabra is on a distinguished road

Default Hola desde Las Vegas

Hey everybody, my name is Scott, single, 42, and slowly making progress to get myself moved down to Baja.
All of my belongings are finally in storage, and I'm renting a room from a friend right now. Just sold my swimming pool buisnesss last week. Nothing is keeping me here any more, except for the fact my F250 just went in the shop, and they tell me it needs a whole new engine ($9500.00) Gonna get a new truck, and as soon as I do I'm headed south...
Want to live in Ensenada, or south of there, but no more south than San Quintin. San Felipe area is an option too.
I'm no where even close to retirement status, so I'm searching for employnent oppurtunities. Currently I'm submitting resumes to the handful of off-road touring companies that call Baja home. Any tips on any available oppurtunities would be hugely appreciated. OK, that's it. Talk to you all soon.

Scott
Old 05-02-11, 12:14 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hola desde Las Vegas

Welcome Scott. You probably know that I favor San Quintin, but it's not for everybody...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-02-11, 03:06 PM   #3
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Hi Scott......I hope you spend as much time as necessary studying the work question. It's much, much more difficult than you would imagine.
I'm not sure what you mean when you mention "Touring Companies" but there's a lot of unemployment down here, just like in the states.

I don't have time to run through the full list of obstacles which face you, but it's long. Keep asking here and eventually you'll have a pretty clear picture of your quest.
Old 05-02-11, 03:14 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Dennis is right - working down here legally has a lot of bureaucratic hurdles but if you can line up a company that wants to employ you and will file the forms, getting a work visa is not that difficult. You will need to have someone working on your behalf that has dealt with immigration on work visa matters - doing it by yourself is not for the faint of heart...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-02-11, 03:37 PM   #5
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to admit ignorance about off-road touring companies base in Mexico. Or, if there are such companies based North of the Border, as a US citizen, you wouldn't have the hassle that you might find in seeking employment with a Mexican company. I'm familiar with a number of tour outfits based in both the US and Canada, that often employ Mexican citizens. However, the ones to which I refer, are not off-road. But, I'd have to wonder what special credentials that Scott might have that would encourage a Mexico based company to want to go through the process.
Old 05-02-11, 05:26 PM   #6
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
...immigration on work visa matters - doing it by yourself is not for the faint of heart...
anyone who's tried to renew an FM3 visa in Mexico - TalkBaja.com - Baja Mexico Travel, Living and Retirement