Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 05-20-11, 05:41 AM   #1
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Bars, Restaurants And Night Clubs To Have Licenses Revoked

Mexican officials target drug ballads - CNN.com

"...a new target in the government's war on organized crime: bars, restaurants and night clubs that play songs glorifying drug trafficking.

Those that do will have their licenses revoked, according to new rules published in the state's official register.

"They can play other types of songs, but nothing that incites violence or justifies crimes," Sinaloa Gov. Mario Lopez Valdez said as he announced the measure this week...

Quote:
..."The pattern seems to be, when anything happens in the real world, let's crack down on the fantasy world...it's nutty, but it makes a certain amount of sense, because it's something that the government can do, whereas the real violence is completely out of control."...
...The owner of a night club in...Culiacansaid..."...this music...the people like it,"..."
Old 05-21-11, 03:31 PM   #2
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Bars, Restaurants And Night Clubs To Have Licenses Revoked

Since we tend to view world affairs through a very Ameican lens, I have to say that despite the negative effet of narcocorridas, it becomes a slippery slope when one begins to censor.

The US has an abundant number of examples of this.

I would suggest that folks reading this post consider that over the years, in whatever country, the music prevails. Just perhaps, some of the more recent music bearing indeciperable lyrics are somehow a clarion call to engage in criminal activity?
Old 05-21-11, 06:45 PM   #3
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Good thing there's no censure of country song lyrics,
Would put an end to crying in one's beer.
Old 05-22-11, 08:07 AM   #4
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

"...well my waif ran off with my best friend,
and I shore do...........miss him
..."