Baja Art, Music, Culture & Literature Much More Than You Think...

Old 06-01-11, 09:20 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Into a Desert Place - Graham Mackintosh

I have owned this book for many years and after having the pleasure of finally meeting Graham at Mike Younghusband's presentation in San Diego a week or so ago I decided to pull it off the shelf and read it again. It was the first of Graham's books that I had bought and read and decided it was time to give it another run.

I have many books that are favorites that I love to reread and usually I find it feels like greeting an old friend. This time I found my experience to be a bit different. I originally purchased the book back in the early 90's, along with other titles that caught my eye. I would not be home for some time and I knew the value of good books to occupy my free time where I was headed to work in Sumatra in a few days.

Now after living here in Baja for a decade and reading the book once again I found the stories he told of the experiences and challenges he faced spoke to me in a much more personal way. I felt as if I had missed so much the first time I read the book, sitting in my little one bedroom bungalow, waiting for the Indonesian monsoons to pass. Maybe because now, two decades later I have the life experience under my belt to appreciate and relate to his story on a much deeper level. I suspect it also has something to do with the strong love I have developed for this stretch of peninsula while living here for the last decade. Having taken off down a forgotten path or two on my own crazy Baja adventures these past several years made me recognize, understand and appreciate so much more what Graham set out to do and accomplished.

Although I had been to Baja many times before reading the book, I now realized that Graham probably played a big role in my decision to finally move down here. Funny thing how little ideas, notions, images and stories can be locked into the recesses of our subconscious and affect our later decision making.

If any of you have never read the book, I strongly recommend you buy it, If you have, give it another look and see if it doesn't reach out and touch you again, maybe in a different and better way than the first time around. I decided to give my old tattered copy to a friend to read and will buy another from Graham's website.

This is a good one to keep and preserve...

Into a Desert Place
By Graham Mackintosh

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-02-11, 09:17 PM   #2
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Into a Desert Place - Graham Mackintosh

Wonderful book... bought it when it came out and got Graham to autograph it when I finally met him in 1990 at a slide show he did then. I remember that night quite well... as my daughter was born the next day (July 13)! My very pregnant wife was a good sport and she loved Graham's show as best she could. Her parents took Graham out fishing on their boat when he was doing that walk in the early 1980's.

I have since read it another time or two and each was like reading it anew... I consider it Graham's best book and most entertaining. I do have the other three of course... and all all informative and interesting... Graham's research is outstanding!
Old 06-02-11, 09:22 PM   #3
BajaGringo

Where was he on that walk when they took him out fishing?

Old 06-03-11, 11:53 PM   #4
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Where was he on that walk when they took him out fishing?
I think near San Vicente (south of Erendira)... but not positive... that was 20 years ago when I heard the story... Graham said he remembered them, my first in-laws (they were Dutch immigrants to America), had a boat and RV and loved fishing Baja (the dad)... Met Graham as he walked among the coast and invited him out fishing. I don't think that day made it into the book...
Old 06-04-11, 09:22 AM   #5
BajaGringo

I would love to hear Graham's own thoughts now, on looking back on that journey from nearly 30 years ago...

Old 06-05-11, 10:00 AM   #6
David K

Quote:
I would love to hear Graham's own thoughts now, on looking back on that journey from nearly 30 years ago...
Well, let's take him to lunch sometime next week... ? Bonni needs me to give her an estimate for some irrigation work at their house as well.
Old 06-05-11, 11:39 AM   #7
BajaGringo

I can do it Thursday or Friday - PM me with a date and time and I will be there...

Old 06-06-11, 09:03 AM   #8
David K

Quote:
I can do it Thursday or Friday - PM me with a date and time and I will be there...
Okay, let me see how today's appointments go. My truck goes in for the collision repairs tomorrow night (I was sideswiped by a motorhome while I was parked) and I will either use Elizabeth's car or rent something for the next week +.
Old 06-07-11, 10:32 PM   #9
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Okay, let me see how today's appointments go. My truck goes in for the collision repairs tomorrow night (I was sideswiped by a motorhome while I was parked) and I will either use Elizabeth's car or rent something for the next week +.
Looks like I won't be able to come down to Graham's house until later next week. I will let you know if I set up an appointment with them.
Old 06-08-11, 06:02 AM   #10
BajaGringo

No problem...