Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 06-03-11, 05:56 AM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Default Baja Revisited

Baja Revisted

By Brandon Walter | San Diego Reader
Published Thursday, June 2, 2011

Recently a close friend and I embarked on a two-week road trip that took us from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, the tip of Baja California, Mexico.

We’d been discussing such a trip for weeks on end. We fantasized about the uncrowded waves we would score and delicious seafood we would eat in abundance. The two of us recounted several stories from past trips we had taken in Mexico and about how great those experiences had been. Stories about friendly, laid-back locals, fun, uncrowded surf, and hanging out on the beach sipping on cold cervezas.

Despite all the good times we’d had in the past visiting Baja, we were still quite apprehensive to take such a trip and visit our infamous neighbors to the south. After all, living in San Diego, there’s no shortage of horror stories about what happens in Mexico: everything from tales of bribery and drugs being planted on tourists to stories about decapitations and how children's freshly killed carcasses are used to smuggle drugs across the border.

These days the stories are predominantly linked to the recent activity with the drug cartels. You read these stories and hear them on the local news, but mostly you hear seemingly exaggerated accounts of what goes on – through acquaintances, whose sources are unknown. Regardless of your level of skepticism, it’s difficult to not feel a little "sketched out" when thinking about traveling across the border these days.

So after serious consideration on driving into Baja, which neither of us had done in at least four years, I began to do some research. Mostly reading articles and threads on online forums. What I found out did not surprise me; however, it did enlighten the subject. Here are a few key points that I found reassuring:

First, the majority of cartel-related crime takes place in the border cities. This meant as soon as we were out of T.J we would be fine.

Second, among those crimes, those involved almost always were either members of the cartels or government officials or family members of either. Good for us we don’t fall into any of those groups.

Third, and probably the most astonishing (or not), is that the American media over-dramatizes what’s taking place in Mexico. The stretching of facts and the lack of journalistic integrity do not portray an accurate picture of the situation there. Furthermore, both the L.A Times and the Union-Tribune are notorious for re-printing old stories and embellishing the truth about cartel-related news. Presumably their reason could be competition over tourist dollars – cause if they're not spending that money in Mexico, they're spending it here.

So after much thought we decided to go for it. We loaded up my buddy’s old Volkswagen Vanagon with surfboards and camping supplies. We bought our Mexican insurance and picked up our recommended tourist visas.

The trip was nothing short of awesome – aside from some pretty brutal "topes" and the starter dying in the van, we encountered no problems. We did not even have to bribe any cops. I can honestly say I felt totally safe the whole trip. Our van was searched several times (pretty much at every checkpoint). This is simply protocol, as the government is actually trying to do something about the cartels. The federales were kind, happy people to deal with and it was actually a nice break to get out, stretch your legs and talk to someone else.

The roads were not perfect but really not bad at all. They’re currently being upgraded to a four-lane system. Completion is expected sometime in 2013, and the progress can be seen best between La Paz and Todos Santos – that highway is as good as anything in the states.

We had a great trip and did exactly what we planned. We surfed uncrowded waves, ate plenty of amazing seafood, and of course drank a few cervezas. We were happy to spend our tourist dollars in a well-deserving place. Businesses are struggling down there; where most of them depend on tourists, this was sad to see.

Mexico is not the horrible place the media makes it out to be. Travel there is still safe regardless of the current "threat level color."

But this article isn’t about how you should go to Baja and spend a little time and money – even though you should. The point is that anywhere you go in the world, whether it be Mexico, Paris or just down the street, you should always keep your head on a swivel, always be mindful of possible dangers. And second, learn to think critically – don’t always take someone else's word as the end-all truth.

Go out and find your own truth!

source...
Old 06-03-11, 07:36 AM   #2
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Baja Revisited

Gee, I believe other people have stated this.
Do you think the hoardes will be coming South in greater numbers?
Oh yea don't forget the passport and other things needed to enjoy your stay.
Old 06-03-11, 09:23 AM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Well, THAT certainly set the record straight!!

ROFLMAO!! This reporter is trying to set the record straight from all the misinformation that his competition & other US media presents....with HIS OWN VERSION of MISINFORMATION!!!

...."and picked up our recommended tourist visas." Recommended? RECOMMENDED?? Gee whiz, I'd been lead to believe it's a legal requirement for travel to Cabo, silly me!

If his version is to be believed, I'm looking forward to the Hwy expansion...."They’re currently being upgraded to a four-lane system. Completion is expected sometime in 2013, and the progress can be seen best between La Paz and Todos Santos" He makes it sound like Hwy 1, the length of the peninsula, will be 4-lane & in an amazingly short period of time!

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 06-03-11 at 09:33 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old 06-03-11, 09:31 AM   #4
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Well, THAT certainly set the record straight!!
He makes it sound like Hwy 1, the length of the peninsula, will be 4-lane & in an amazingly short period of time!
I seriously doubt that it will ever be 4 lane, but on the other hand the parts they have finished have a nice " sholder" to us, Of course the populace will use it like a 4 lane
Old 06-03-11, 04:30 PM   #5
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Darn!

Legs beat me to the punch.

"The roads were not perfect but really not bad at all. They’re currently being upgraded to a four-lane system. Completion is expected sometime in 2013, and the progress can be seen best between La Paz and Todos Santos – that highway is as good as anything in the states"

My considered opinion is that Mex 1 will be a fourlane all the way to Colonet in the near future, inasmuch as they have big plans for a container port there.

Beyond that, with a few upgrades here and there, I don't see a fourlane all the way in my lifetime.

Which reminds me of the plans to complete a paved highway down the West Coast from San Ignacio to La Purisma, and on into Insurgentes. It make sense for those seeking to head to La Paz and beyond.
Old 06-03-11, 11:59 PM   #6
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

I am amazed at all the trouble they are doing in re-engineering Hwy. 1 south of Ensenada... and all that for wider shoulders (bike lanes?)... the new road is still only 2 lanes wide! Looks like a make work project more than answering the high volume of truck and car traffic needs... that a 4 lane road to San Quintin would provide.

Wish it was all dirt, then almost nobody would be on it! Like back in 1950! LOL
Old 06-04-11, 08:54 AM   #7
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Bike lanes? I don't think so, more like cutting corners safely lanes is how I am perceiving it. Gotta get that long haul stuff up from Colonet POE, right?

I gotta tell you this: While sitting here in La Paz I am CONVINCED I never want to drive the length of the peninsula again.
My wife and kids are going to fly home while I baby the car up over a few days complements of my gracious mother in law.
We will all miss each other for 4-5 days but I hate to see my wife take days to have her back physically recover from that long haul and sometimes stressful with oncoming traffic drive.
I could see me saying goodbye to Bola permanent when I am down here full time.
I can't think of anything BOLA offers me that I can't get here in terms of beauty and quality of life except for merchants who act like it is a GIANT pain in their ass to take your money for two-tiered pricing.

Last edited by soulpatch; 06-06-11 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-04-11, 09:15 AM   #8
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

The reason they (SCT) gave for the widening of Hwy 1 was to accommodate the expected heavy truck traffic expected for Colonet. Once the widening is completed they are supposed to begin the extension of the toll road south to San Quintin, which is planned to go along the coast, be four lanes and cut at least an hour off the trip...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-04-11, 09:21 AM   #9
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Yeah, we all say that! After making my first drive down (from Portland!) in 1999, I SWORE I'd NEVER made that drive again! Then I eventually changed it to I'd be willing to drive back as far north as Catavina....since my brother was driving lead position & was focused on getting down south to pre-run part of the Baja 2000 & refused to stop at Catavina for me to explore & take pics!!!

Now, I've lost count of how many times I've made that drive....one-way, round-trip, with company & I'd say roughly half of those trips were solo! Most were to California, but at least two of those jaunts were back to Oregon! It is tough on the back, but there are some tricks us bad-back types use to ease the strain! Nothing eases the stress of oncoming traffic though!

But I gotta admit that none of my trips involved having a gun pointed anywhere in my direction other than at checkpoints!

Hmmmmmm.....let me guess where you may have been & found less than stellar customer service! That big name food store chain on Abasolo? I'm curious where you encountered "two-tiered pricing"???? Some of us locals might have to go there & express our displeasure on your behalf!