General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 06-14-11, 09:31 AM   #1
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Wow

Just a quick update on our journey. We went to a place about 15 miles north of San Jose del Cabo for an overnight playdate with our old neighbors from San Diego and their kids and ended up crashing just outside of San Jose for 5 more days.
We really had a blast and saw an area we really enjoyed as a family and from a lifestyle standpoint.
A real dilemma to like these two areas. Not. Anyway, it was fun and exhausting and we were beat on the way back to La Paz after being crammed into a very tiny space with two days of clothes and supplies but we are an adaptable family and we loved the adventure.
Unfortunately we were sidetracked so much that we missed meeting a few people, which is a real bummer since I am not a breaker of plans but sometimes life has a bigger plan.
However, we were given a gift that felt quite right to us as a family and opened our vistas a bit.
Life is a funny evolution. We have had some moments of pretty open and honest dialog as a couple and some truths about us all that I feel have made us even more united as a family. After so many years of shift work and this bizarre lifestyle to have this much concentrated time together has been a gift, sometimes painful, but with growth and acknowledgment that has been so eye opening to me and takes me back to the central core of how I need to do whatever it takes to make my retirement age and the be with my family wherever that may end up being within the lifestyle opportunities that fulfill us.

We laid low yesterday at Tecolote, got a good nights sleep and today we pack for our journey long journey north.
Wow.....there are many stories within this that I can't quite formulate yet.
Don't be looking for any kind of trip report over on Nomads....I don't have it in me.
Old 06-14-11, 09:46 AM   #2
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Wow

Planned meetings? Trip Reports?

You had a wonderful experience as family! All of us who are following your adventure are really glad for that. Those of us who live in "sur" are glad you enjoyed the place as much as we do.

As you continue....Life is a pencil with a very big eraser. You can write and rewrite a whole lot of times.

Someone a whole lot wiser than I said something to that effect. I've used a lot of "eraser". Everything worked out okay/

Safe and enjoyable journey northward, happy family!
Old 06-14-11, 11:50 AM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Good timing with your update....I was ready to send the dogs out!! I knew you had to surface eventually! Glad you were able to escape from public scrutiny & just enjoy what I figure is highly unusual quality family time!

The way I look at it is that you've got over a year to hash & rehash the pros & cons of both areas & try to figure out which you feel would be the best fit for your family as a whole. Or leave it up in the air & upon retirement, spend more time entrenching yourselves in each area for a while & figure out which might be more affordable & have the best "draws" for your family over the long haul. I don't gotta tell you that short-term vacation time & living in an area full-time are apples & oranges!

Not too shabby a food-for-thought dilemma you've gotten yourselves into, huh? I can think of worse dilemmas to have to hash over for the next year!

Apparently the previous thoughts of Mrs. Soulpatch & the Patchettes (sounds like a 60's rock group!) flying back might have been re-thunk again in favor of a couple more days of quality family time?

I think it's awesome the allergies all but disappeared here....that in itself is valid reason for a move in my book!

Drive safely & give Mrs. Soulpatch your password so she can post some highlights of your travels! It's a piece of cake on this site!!

Old 06-14-11, 12:25 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I am absolutely thrilled for you guys - have a safe trip back. If you will be stopping to eat/sleep in San Quintin be sure to let us know...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-14-11, 02:03 PM   #5
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Re: Wow

Yes, we are all driving back together, much to my pleasure and hopefully to no one else's regret!
Tomorrow Punta Chivato.
Next day Bola for 2, maybe 3 days....
Our coup de gras: Estero Beach hotel and the San Diego.
Grandma is taking everybody to Disney Land for the twins birthday after we get home....definitely the anti-baja but that will be a first for them and very exciting to see the joy in those young eyes as they experience the world in a way that I can only remember.
I do regret not meeting an esteemed member or our little cyber-world on this trip but all in all we have learned a lot about ourselves.
As far as locations? Time will tell.....my wife has commented to me that the look on my face and my entire being after epic surf was something not to be mitigated...and, she a whole lot smarter and intuitive then me.
So, my profound apologies to those that I missed and had committed to meet but I am hoping we have another day and that that day comes soon and that there is forgiveness and understanding along with the disappointment. How is that for a mea culpa?I think anyone that has met me knows that the full of shit attitude is only skin deep.
I do think this was our last major baja trip until the day comes. Something about budgets, graduating daughters in South Carolina and knowing in our hearts, as we said at the beach while all being together, "wow, this beats the hell out of work"!
So, the plan is: Take the paycut next year and move the hell down.
Old 06-14-11, 03:00 PM   #6
oladulce

oladulce is on a distinguished road

Our first, and some of the best Baja memories occurred in the region where you spent your surprise vacation. We somehow got way layed up north here but have always thought we could very easily end up back down there some day.

So now I'm trying to find a balance between building our dream home and not blowing our entire wad on "extras", just in case. It would be nice to recoup as much $ as possible if the urge strikes to sell this rancho and move south someday.

But then, we also love Huatulco and we've only visited a fraction of Mainland Mexico so far...

If we don't own a good eraser, can we use White-Out if our lives follow a new compass heading?

Sounds like ya'll had a great adventure.
Old 06-14-11, 03:44 PM   #7
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

You're forgiven!
Hey, spontaneity is what it's all about. I'm sorry not to have met all of you, but the important thing is that you had a great time and accomplished your mission of scouting for a future home. Have a safe trip back, and keep us posted on your plans, whatever they turn out to be.
Old 06-15-11, 09:28 PM   #8
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Glad it's working out so well for ya guys... keep the pictures coming ....