Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 07-18-09, 09:57 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post Drug Dealing for Jesus: Mexico's Evangelical Narcos (Time.com)

Time.com - A quasi-religious, cult-like drug cartel lays siege to the police in western Mexico and shakes the national government

More...
Old 07-19-09, 11:34 AM   #2
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Drug Dealing for Jesus: Mexico's Evangelical Narcos (Time.com)

Much has been written about the influence of Evangelical Protestants in Mexico. It includes opinions that it is both missionaries from the US and immigrants returning to Mexico that have been part of the movement. To put some perspective on the stats. In 1950, 98% of Mexicans were Catholic. Today, that figure is 87%. That being said, given population increases since 1950, Catholics still outnumber Evangelical Protestants by a ratio of 128:1. Yet, over the years, it seems to me that when I travel Baja, I note an ever-growing Protestant presence. Maybe the just do better advertising.
Old 07-19-09, 12:43 PM   #3
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Drug Dealing for Jesus: Mexico's Evangelical Narcos (Time.com)

Seems like a fair presence of JW's, too. Shoot, you could go on about organized religion and crime for pages.
Seen a few pentecostal outfits as well.
They're all Brujos to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Much has been written about the influence of Evangelical Protestants in Mexico. It includes opinions that it is both missionaries from the US and immigrants returning to Mexico that have been part of the movement. To put some perspective on the stats. In 1950, 98% of Mexicans were Catholic. Today, that figure is 87%. That being said, given population increases since 1950, Catholics still outnumber Evangelical Protestants by a ratio of 128:1. Yet, over the years, it seems to me that when I travel Baja, I note an ever-growing Protestant presence. Maybe the just do better advertising.