Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 08-19-11, 02:16 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Default CBP asks homeland security to help investigate corrupt agents

CBP signs agreement with homeland security to help investigate corrupt agents

Press Release | CBP.gov
Tuesday August 16, 2011

Washington DC - U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan D. Bersin today announced the agency had entered into an agreement to send CBP investigative personnel to work with the Department of Homeland Security Inspector General as part of coordinated efforts to detect and deter corruption within the workforce.

“We welcome partnerships and innovation in our ongoing efforts to ensure the highest standards of integrity within CBP,” Bersin said. “We owe it to the American people and to our highly ethical employees to quickly and thoroughly investigate indications of misconduct, which this agreement will help us accomplish.”

CBP will immediately begin detailing CBP internal affairs agents to Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General investigative field offices in order to participate in new and on-going probes of alleged corruption and serious misconduct involving CBP personnel. These investigators also will be responsible for enhancing the exchange of integrity-related information, data and analysis between agencies.

Bersin said the agreement will facilitate more aggressive investigative action in the relentless pursuit of violators and also will increase the ability to more quickly resolve unmeritorious allegations lodged against CBP personnel.

This new accord with the inspector general builds upon the December 2010 agreement between CBP and Immigration and Customs Enforcement under which CBP internal affairs agents have been detailed to the ICE Office of Professional Responsibility to collaboratively investigate allegations of misconduct on the part of CBP employees that had been declined by the inspector general.

“We know the integrity of the vast majority of our workforce is beyond reproach,” Bersin said. “But this is one more indication that ethical lapses will not be tolerated.”

source...
Old 08-19-11, 03:53 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: CBP asks homeland security to help investigate corrupt agents

So what took them so long? I would have thought ALL government law enforcement agencies would have been working together on something like this...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-19-11, 04:59 PM   #3
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
So what took them so long? I would have thought ALL government law enforcement agencies would have been working together on something like this...

Hahahaha..........the MAJORITY of US government agencies DON'T talk or cooperate with each other.....in fact, various agencies in the same building don't talk to each other, and the same agency with field offices in various parts of a state seldom talk to each other.............kind of like the Mexican government model.....
Old 08-19-11, 07:28 PM   #4
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Hahahaha..........the MAJORITY of US government agencies DON'T talk or cooperate with each other.....in fact, various agencies in the same building don't talk to each other, and the same agency with field offices in various parts of a state seldom talk to each other.............kind of like the Mexican government model.....
I know - I posted that half tongue in cheek. It is just another example of what happens when government is allowed to grow out of control...

Old 08-19-11, 11:31 PM   #5
Teniente

Quote:
I know - I posted that half tongue in cheek. It is just another example of what happens when government is allowed to grow out of control...
Agencies building kingdoms and staying in the eye of the powerbrokers
Old 08-20-11, 07:12 AM   #6
BajaGringo

Quote:
Agencies building kingdoms...
And that is where corruption is born...

Old 08-20-11, 07:38 AM   #7
Teniente

Quote:
And that is where corruption is born...
Actually from a first hand view, I don't see corruption. I see duplication of efforts, inefficiency and infighting between agencies and within the same agency...........chasing tails and trying to outdo the other guy.
Old 08-20-11, 07:44 AM   #8
BajaGringo

Quote:
Actually from a first hand view, I don't see corruption. I see duplication of efforts, inefficiency and infighting between agencies and within the same agency...........chasing tails and trying to outdo the other guy.
At most state and local levels of law enforcement (and having family serving in different agencies), I know that is true. However at the federal level we are creating some huge bureaucracies including Homeland Security.

At the local level the beat cop can talk to the chief.

At the federal level we have created so many levels between the street and the top it simply makes corruption something easy to hide and occur.

And it does, especially with millions of dollars available to tempt them...