Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 12-01-11, 12:48 PM   #1
JESSE

JESSE is on a distinguished road

Default La Paz bids to become 1st city in Mexico to join IDB sustainable emerging cities platform

Executives from the Inter-America development bank have received the formal application from the city of La Paz, to become the first city in Mexico, to become part of the banks sustainable cities platform. If achieved, La paz would get financial support from the bank in order to analyze their development challenges in an integrated manner, prioritize investments, and identify funding from national and international sources.

The Sustainable Emerging Cities Platform targets three critical areas: environmental sustainability, including challenges that relate to climate change; urban development, including urban growth, transport, competitiveness, and security; and fiscal sustainability.

Presentará BID proyecto de La Paz como ciudad emergente y sostenible | Periodico Realidad BCS

More about the platform:

Sustainable development of intermediate cities - Inter-American Development Bank
Old 12-01-11, 04:01 PM   #2
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Default Re: La Paz bids to become 1st city in Mexico to join IDB sustainable emerging cities platf

Thanks that is a wounderful direction to be moving in ... by the way ... think that is something BG is active in ..

Really good kind of news to hear...

Now if we can only learn how to grow "chile verde" and long neck "Pacifico's" ...
Old 12-05-11, 09:49 AM   #3
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Default Re: La Paz bids to become 1st city in Mexico to join IDB sustainable emerging cities platf

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent announcement of anywhere from 100% to 400% increase in property tax for La Paz?
Old 12-06-11, 02:49 AM   #4
JESSE

JESSE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_JOHNNY
I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent announcement of anywhere from 100% to 400% increase in property tax for La Paz?
If you pay before dec 31, you get 30% off.
Old 12-06-11, 09:03 AM   #5
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

My property tax was exactly the same as last year, except that we got a bigger early payment discount last year. But several people have reported paying anywhere from double to five times last year's amount. It seems they are re-assessing the property values in some areas. I think they did it in my neighborhood about three years ago. At least my taxes went up then, and so did those of my Mexican neighbors.

It does sound like the BID project would be perfect for La Paz, so I hope the application is successful.
Old 12-06-11, 09:21 AM   #6
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

In regards to environmental sustainability Mexico has been taking a leadership role in that arena the last decade. In less than ten years Mexico has gone from being a very minor player in wind energy production to one of the leaders with several more major projects scheduled to be built.

Here at our project we have received grants and tax credits for our off-grid energy production investments.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 12-06-11, 08:04 PM   #7
jbcoug

jbcoug is on a distinguished road

Congratulations to those pushing this effort forward.

John