Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 03-22-12, 02:39 PM   #1
TravelPro787

TravelPro787 is on a distinguished road

Default Another Sad Loss

It was a sad day on Monday when after a brave fight for 36 hours, my wonderful sweet mare lost her battle with colic. Her bladder burst and she went into toxic shock and I had to make the difficult decision to put her down. I will miss her every day.

I am so fortunate to have found such a wonderful and supportive community here in La Mision. People came from everywhere to try and save her. They brought blankets when she needed to stay warm and dry in the miserable rain and wind. They helped walk her when the vet wanted her up and moving. And when the end came and the tears flowed, there always seemed to be someone hugging me in my grief. My neighbors wouldn't even let me pay for her burial.

She is buried right across the road in the river valley where I can see her grave from my balcony. My dogs miss her as much as I do I think, as they loved the rides on the beach with her, and she was so good with them. I guess spending 8 years at The Baja Animal Sanctuary with 350 to 400 dogs made that a natural.

Chupa was a very special girl and I loved every minute we had together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3251.JPG

Views:	32

Size:	1.02 MB

ID:	3129  
Old 03-22-12, 03:19 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Another Sad Loss

Oh, how very sad. Cristina and I share your feelings of loss. Our hearts go out to you...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-22-12, 03:56 PM   #3
TravelPro787

Thanks Ron. I know that having just lost your beautiful Dobie you and Cristina understand just how much it hurts. Yesterday when we came back from our morning walk and visit to her grave, my Border Collie sat next to her saddle and whined. They had a very special relationship and I know he is hurting too. She was so good with my little Chihuahua/Fox Terrier mix too. She could do figure eights between her legs and I never worried about her getting hurt.

It gets a little better each day, but I sure miss her. She was a very sweet and gentle lady.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Old 03-22-12, 04:42 PM   #4
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

So sorry for your loss, TravelPro. Chupa joins my handsome fellow, who passed away eight years ago in his late twenties. We were together for 18 years, and life seemed unbearably empty without him for a long time. It never really goes away, but the edge wears off.
Old 03-22-12, 08:43 PM   #5
TravelPro787

Thanks Kate, this is the third horse I have lost over many years to colic so I even hate the word. I lost a mare and her foal to it within six months of each other.

Chupa was so special because of the horrible life she had before she was rescued by the wonderful people at The Baja Animal Sanctuary, where she lived for 8 years before I came along. She gave me a lot of joy, which is now a big hole in my heart, but I am forever grateful for the time we had together. And I will get another horse, hopefully another rescue in her honor.

Thanks again,
Chuck
Old 03-23-12, 06:52 PM   #6
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

I can't imagine such a loss. Very sorry...
Old 03-25-12, 11:23 AM   #7
TravelPro787

Thanks Woo. Appreciated.