General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 03-24-12, 08:20 AM   #1
ncampion

ncampion is on a distinguished road

Default New Policy - Military Checkpoints???

So what's with the military checkpoints now?? Traveled North from Loreto the past two days and was only stopped once on the entire trip. The check just North of Loreto, we had to get out of the car and they did a one minute look-see and we were on our way. Every other check was just a "wave through", didn't even really stop. Is there a new policy on checking Gringos? It seemed that hey were searching the Mexican cars and trucks like they usually do. Maybe it's part of the "bring Americans back to Mexico" idea. Whatever it is, I like it!!
Old 03-24-12, 08:38 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New Policy - Military Checkpoints???

I have noticed lately also that we seem to be getting pretty much waved through or only a quick check and go. Maybe they are doing a better job of profiling???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-24-12, 05:45 PM   #3
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Going North over the last couple years we've rarely been stopped. Been waved through more than normal coming back South though.
Old 03-25-12, 08:58 AM   #4
Ralph

Ralph is on a distinguished road

Smile Re: New Policy - Military Checkpoints???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I have noticed lately also that we seem to be getting pretty much waved through or only a quick check and go. Maybe they are doing a better job of profiling???
The soldiers heard that you're the queso grande....they know that you outrank them!
Old 03-25-12, 11:15 AM   #5
stargazer

stargazer is on a distinguished road

Queso grande, that's funny.
Old 03-25-12, 11:29 AM   #6
TravelPro787

TravelPro787 is on a distinguished road

Not sure about the other checkpoints but the mayor of Ensenada met with the local commander about the amount of time it was taking to leave town going north. His point was that it was difficult enough to get tourist down to Ensenada anyway and they had a long enough wait to cross at the border. Adding 20-30 minutes wait time leaving Ensenada made it even more unlikely that they would come back or recommend it to their friends. It seems to have worked because the first time I went to Ensenada after I moved here the wait was almost 30 minutes. It has been 2 or 3 lately except for Carnival, and that was just too many cars and not enough pavement.