Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 10-15-12, 06:18 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post Paul becomes major hurricane in Pacific off Mexico

Hurricane Paul rapidly strengthened into a major Category 3 storm in the Pacific Ocean off Mexico on Monday, prompting a hurricane warning for a swath of Baja California's western coast.

More...
Old 10-15-12, 06:34 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Paul becomes major hurricane in Pacific off Mexico

H. Paul is blowing 120 mph right about now. That is some serious wind.
Old 10-15-12, 06:35 PM   #3
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Is there a difinitive weather site for Baja that tracks weather events and warnings?
Old 10-15-12, 06:54 PM   #4
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

This is the one that a lot of southern Baja people use:

http://www.eebmike.com/
Old 10-15-12, 07:31 PM   #5
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Thanks. Is there a difinitive weather site for Baja that tracks weather events and warnings?
I like to look at Stormpulse. It doesn't require a lot of interpretation.

You'll have to turn on the clouds with a click of the button next to CLOUDS in the box.

Stormpulse / Subscription plans pricing
Old 10-15-12, 08:48 PM   #6
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Another fan of eebmike here. Pretty retro in terms of web design, LOL, but it has several types of storm info all on a single page, including real-time animated images. The NHC-NOAA stuff on wunderground.com is also good. Between the two, I can keep up pretty well with what's headed this way. La Paz is included in the tropical storm watch now, oh joy!
Woooosh
This message has been deleted by Woooosh.
Old 10-15-12, 09:53 PM   #7
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
I like to look at Stormpulse. It doesn't require a lot of interpretation.

You'll have to turn on the clouds with a click of the button next to CLOUDS in the box.

Stormpulse / Subscription plans pricing
At $279 a year, well... I'm speechless. The splashpage with the free shot is good enuf.
Old 10-16-12, 07:00 AM   #8
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
At $279 a year, well... I'm speechless. The splashpage with the free shot is good enuf.
That's all I look at.
Old 10-16-12, 08:46 AM   #9
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Here we go....Right now it's dead calm here (San Juanico), but I can see the first signs of wind approaching from the Southeast. It's looking very dark on the horizon. Been raining for about 5 hours.
Old 10-16-12, 09:27 AM   #10
kate

Wooo and Ola, hope you stay safe and dry over there. Looks like you're right in the path, if I have the location right. Coming down hard here in La Paz now. No wind to speak of at this point, but we're only on the very edge of the TS warning.
Old 10-16-12, 12:18 PM   #11
BigWooo

Latest NHC forecast is that we're still under a hurricane warning. Wind picked up then died again. Right now it's only 8-12 out of the North. Only a bit over 1/2 inch of rain so far. According to Satellite we're still about 20 miles north of the heavier weather. Still waiting.....
Old 10-16-12, 12:54 PM   #12
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Coming down in buckets here in Nopolo. I believe the worst of the winds are over. Never was too bad, maybe a few 50 mph gusts. Clouds are turning to the SW, an indication that the eye is due west of us, on the other side of the mountains.The rain at the moment is so heavy that it's probably coming down at 11/2 to 2 inch an hour. Everything is flooded here.
Old 10-16-12, 04:59 PM   #13
BigWooo

So far it's been a non-event at Pta. Pequena. Only .6 inches of rain and max 32 mph winds. Still blowing out of the East, so the storm hasn't passed us yet, but looks like it won't be much here.

I was really surprised how many people filled into the campground thinking they were going to get surf. This storm was a no-go from the start.

Here's the best it got:
Attached Images

Old 10-17-12, 07:33 AM   #14
longlegsinlapaz

BigWooo, I lost internet, landline AND cell yesterday around 2 PM, so was relieved to discover I had internet back this AM to see that you & Ola came through without taking a hard direct hit! All the prep work is a pain in the butt, but when you do really get nailed, you'll appreciate all the prep work you went through! Damn!! Not even any good waves for a little after-the-storm relief! Besides, you can't surf now....there's all that prep work that needs to be undone!
Old 10-17-12, 08:09 AM   #15
kate

I was also without phone and internet. Cell service came back last night but internet not until this a.m. Even though the storm had passed us by the time the connection dropped, it was frustrating not to know what was going on in other areas. I hope everyone is okay. It was pretty much a non-event here in central La Paz, apart from a little more rain and a short period of gusty wind during the afternoon. But from the 9 a.m. update on eebmike, it still looks like rain farther north in BCS.
Old 10-17-12, 11:46 AM   #16
BigWooo

I was a little premature on my celebration of not getting hit. Wasn't really that bad, but during the night wind blew steady in the high 30's with some wind gusts as much as 58 mph. Only totaled about 1" of rain.

All and all not bad considering that yesterday morning the forecast was for 110mph winds
Old 10-17-12, 01:02 PM   #17
kate

Glad you folks came through it okay.

Here's an article from today's online Elsudcaliforniano (en español)
Old 10-18-12, 12:16 AM   #18
Woooosh

Hardest hit was mulege apparently. BajaGringo hasn't checked in yet, has he?
Old 10-18-12, 06:59 AM   #19
longlegsinlapaz

I really feel for the folks along the river in Mulege! I can rationally understand the attraction.....the beauty of the area can be very tempting, but logically, building or buying at the lower end of a canyon, even in a drought area is always going to come back to bite ya!! They're caught between the proverbial rock & a hard place! It's expensive & heartbreaking to keep mucking out & doing necessary repairs flood after flood & nearly impossible to sell the property to recoup any of their losses!
Old 10-19-12, 11:30 AM   #20
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Sorry guys - been under the weather a bit. We only saw some really high/low tides out along our stretch. Really good news that nobody here got hit too hard. Saw some video last night on the news showing a lot of flooding / damage in Mulege and Ciudad Constitucion...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic