Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 11-05-12, 04:06 PM   #1
Bajacastaway

Bajacastaway is on a distinguished road

Default Immigration office in TJ

Does anybody know if the old Immigration office is still open? We will be crossing early December and we usually ride the trolley to TJ to get our FMM the day before we cross and I'm wondering if we can still go to the same place.
Old 11-05-12, 07:33 PM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Immigration office in TJ

It's a fluid situation this month. You can't walk or drive to where the old office was by the vehicle secondary inspection area. Everything on wheels now goes to the new POE called El Chaparral (which means right-turn-from-hell apparently). Everything on legs goes through the new pedestrian crossing into Mexico which is at the end of the trolley line (on the same side). Mexico is building a pedestrian walkway to El Chaparral, but I don't know if it will be ready for your trip.

We'll keep an eye on it for you but I think the in/out logistics to take the trolley and walk over and get your FMT the day before are much easier than before as both are on the same side as the trolley. Walking to El Chaparral from the end of the trolley will be close to a two kilometer hike with no Disneyland magic sidewalks to help.

Welcome to TalkBaja btw!

Last edited by Woooosh; 11-05-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 09:52 PM   #3
Bajacastaway

Any new info on getting a tourist card? Can we walk across and get one when we get off the trolley where we used to or will we have to take a cab over to the new Chaparral crossing? It's getting closer and I want to have my duscks in a row if I can.
Old 11-19-12, 09:58 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Why would you want to walk across to get your visa? Aren't you going to drive down the peninsula???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 11-20-12, 08:17 AM   #5
Bajacastaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Why would you want to walk across to get your visa? Aren't you going to drive down the peninsula???
After driving to San Diego we like to take a couple of days in the San Diego area. I used to live there when I was in the Navy. It's an opportunity to get last minute items, exchange some dollars and we go to TJ for a day for fun, When we drive across we have always found it easier to have our tourist card instead of leaving our vehicle and getting it at that time, it seems to speed up the crossing process in the truck.