General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 11-20-12, 09:44 AM   #1
Bajajaja

Bajajaja is on a distinguished road

Default Banned bunnies in Baja?

We've decided to move to Baja in the next few months (and, yes, we have experience in Mexico, other Latin American countries, have visited MX for extended periods of time, done lots of research and plan to rent).

OK, so like many Gringos we have pets. A very small dog, two cats and four rabbits. The bunnies live in the house with us just like cats. They are spayed/neutered, litterbox trained, clean, friendly and pretty wonderful.

A few weeks ago - just to be sure - I checked APHIS regulations on bringing animals from the US into Mexico.

Turns out that rabbits - even pets - are NOT allowed into the country. Apparently there was an incident of a nasty, very contagious disease in MN (we're in CA) in 2010 that prompted Mexico to ban bunnies.

I can understand why the thought of the disease would freak people out. For those who raise rabbits as food it would be devastating.

But our bunnies are healthy and live pampered indoor lives. The disease has about a 48 hour incubation period and kills rabbits fast.

So we hopped into our Gringomobile (Prius, which we will not bring with us for the move) and down to drove down to TJ one day to ask at the local equivalent of the USDA.

A very petite woman who seemed intoxicated by the power of her uniform started shouting "NO CONEJOS!!!!" in my face (conejos are bunnies) when I asked.

Senora Uniform also shouted that we can only bring in ONE pet per person. That sounded strange.

So, yes, we're hugely sentimental gringos and the bunnies are like our kids. We will not leave them behind. It seems really weird that we'd have to forego plans to live in Mexico strictly because we would like to bring our healthy pet rabbits.

What is the likelihood that the anti-bunny thing would actually be enforced at the border? Does anyone know? If they are in pet carriers do you think anyone will even bother to look?

Would anyone care to help me smuggle them over the border?

I've also wondered if I could find a vet in TJ who would write up a statement saying the rabbits are from MX, not the US. Not sure if that would work.

I'm trying to think of every possible solution. I also want to make sure my rabbits will not be confiscated if we try to cross with them.

Any ideas would be appreciated - and please no jokes about rabbit stew! Thanks.

Tamara
Old 11-20-12, 10:07 AM   #2
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Banned bunnies in Baja?

Apparently you have read the regulations and have discovered that the bunnies are not allowed.

You have talked to a government representative and have been told that the bunnies are not allowed.

You are asking for information or assistance to smuggle the bunnies into Mexico, thus violating the law.

You are proposing that a Vet in Mexico lie in a written statement that the bunnies are from Mexico.

Do you always flaunt the law??????.....Do you violate the law in the US????

If the bunnies are that important to you, you need to reevaluate your plans regarding the bunnies and your move.

What are your priorities??????

Maybe the move to Mexico is not a good idea right now
Old 11-20-12, 10:38 AM   #3
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Had much the same concerns over my AK
Old 11-20-12, 10:57 AM   #4
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

That's about as stoopid as ,"No dog food allowed into the US."

Tape the bunnie's ears and say they're cats.
Old 11-20-12, 11:22 AM   #5
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS

Or tape green photos of U.S. presidents to them!
Old 11-20-12, 11:45 AM   #6
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Or tape green photos of U.S. presidents to them!
Never fails.
Old 11-20-12, 05:32 PM   #7
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajajaja
I'm trying to think of every possible solution. I also want to make sure my rabbits will not be confiscated if we try to cross with them.
From what you've reported from official sources, it sounds like there's no guarantee. If it were me, the solution would be to give up on the move. There's no way I'd take even the slightest risk of having any of my pets confiscated.
Old 11-20-12, 05:48 PM   #8
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

I second what Teniente expressed so eloquently!

Why on earth would you be contemplating relocating to a new country with the full intent of knowingly & blatantly violating its laws?

Why on earth would you post in a public forum your intent to knowingly & blatantly violate the laws of Mexico, as well as the Federal regulations of the agencies you've already spoken with? Do you sincerely believe that no Federal border patrol agents/agencies ever read these public forums to gain information & insight into what might be happening during border crossings?

I DO understand your attachment to your pets, however, as you alluded to in your post...."It seems really weird that we'd have to forego plans to live in Mexico strictly because we would like to bring our healthy pet rabbits." Knowing what you now know directly from the agencies whose jurisdiction it falls under, it appears you have answered your own question.

And for what it's worth, bunnies are NOT banned in Baja; I have friends with pet bunnies. Importing bunnies across the borders of the country is what's banned & illegal.

On edit: You can bring more than 1 pet per person, you'll just be required to pay a fee on each pet over the minimal no-fee allowance of 1 per person.

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 11-20-12 at 05:55 PM. Reason: PS
Old 11-21-12, 11:36 AM   #9
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

It's all about the bunnies huh? I do have to agree with others that entering Mexico with known live contraband is a bad idea. I bring flowers across once in a while- but I'm not emotionally attached to them should they be taken away. It's too bad the law is what it is. You'll figure something out.
Old 11-22-12, 06:32 PM   #10
wessongroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS

Old 11-22-12, 09:24 PM   #11
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
You could also dress them up as Mexican bunnies and say you are repatriating them.

Old 11-23-12, 09:56 PM   #12
wessongroup

Hey, what about "Bing" ..... never got a close look at his ear's

Must say, if a bunny, a tough one ..... how long was that bad boy "gone" a while back
Old 12-15-12, 09:37 AM   #13
bajatasha

bajatasha is on a distinguished road

TO: Teiete,,,please take a long walk off a short pier,,today !!! fools like you should not have a pet..BTW rules & laws are meant to be broken,,bent and ignored at certain times and this sounds like one...CaptKW