Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 12-11-12, 11:38 AM   #1
quail333

quail333 is on a distinguished road

Default K38 / rosarita surf break

I am thinking of dropping down to k38 in my little old Toyota truck for a couple days on the beach. Cross the border on weekday afternoon straight to the hotel and then little or no driving. Is there a high paranoia factor crossing into Mexico at San Ysidro?
21st century says my car insurance is good up to 100 miles from border so will not buy extra insurance. Are there good fruits and vegetables available in Rosarita or bring my own? I am working artist in Joshua Tree who has not been South for ten years. The big question, although I do like adventure, is whether I could relax in say 'Las Rocas' area or play it safe as others have cautioned and hang out in San Diego. Any thoughts, and thanks for being available. Cheers
Old 12-11-12, 03:41 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: K38 / rosarita surf break

Quote:
Originally Posted by quail333
I am thinking of dropping down to k38 in my little old Toyota truck for a couple days on the beach. Cross the border on weekday afternoon straight to the hotel and then little or no driving. Is there a high paranoia factor crossing into Mexico at San Ysidro?
21st century says my car insurance is good up to 100 miles from border so will not buy extra insurance. Are there good fruits and vegetables available in Rosarita or bring my own? I am working artist in Joshua Tree who has not been South for ten years. The big question, although I do like adventure, is whether I could relax in say 'Las Rocas' area or play it safe as others have cautioned and hang out in San Diego. Any thoughts, and thanks for being available. Cheers
Welcome to TalkBaja, Quail.
You mentioned hotel so I'll assume you plan to stay there. That's good. If you plan to stay in your truck, find a safe, secure place to park. Don't isolate yourself and you'll be fine.
Don't know when you plan this journey, but don't make plans to return on Sunday. The border wait will ruin an otherwise perfect trip.
Rosarito has pretty much everything. Great new super markets with beautiful produce sections and if you get homesick, there's even a Walmart. Good produce there as well.

No problem coming south through San Ysidro. Going back is the PITA. Expect to wait longer than you would like. This only gets worse around Christmas due to the shoppers from Mexico.

Have a good trip and don't worry.....just be aware of the situation you are in at the moment.
Old 12-11-12, 05:23 PM   #3
quail333

quail333 is on a distinguished road

Dennis, thank you for the encouragement, yes I am planning on staying at a hotel.
Old 12-12-12, 07:05 AM   #4
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Even though your insurance covers you 100 miles from the border, I'd buy a cheap liability policy for the days you will be in Mexico. If something happens, or if you are pulled over, a policy written in Spanish that you can give to the officer will serve you well. Trying to explain that your insurance from the U.S. covers you may be a bit difficult to prove in the heat of the moment.
Old 12-12-12, 08:43 PM   #5
mike99km

mike99km is on a distinguished road

Stay a the hotel at K38 good price, cool folks. Good times out the back door.
Mid week you'll have plenty of waves. Baja is as safe as you keep it.
Drive to K38 and the hotel is on the right as you drive down to the parking area. easy, easy.
Baja Bound for ins. A MUST! The US guys will not keep you out of jail in a accident.
Mexican Auto Insurance Online - Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services

Last edited by mike99km; 12-12-12 at 08:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-14-12, 09:35 AM   #6
carla white

carla white is on a distinguished road

How great that you are coming to Baja! This is a super time of year hear (don't listen to weenies in San Diego who want to keep you $$$ in their area!)...it is safe and a heck of a lot less expensive. K38 is a good choice, but so is further down; Salsipuedes is a camping area on the road south of Bajamar to Ensenada; San Miguel is a super popular wave spot, with a great restaurant called Javi's right there; and further south there is Erendira...Coyota Cals campgound and great ocean activities. Get insurance; we use Baja Bound. Have fun, eat adobada, and steamed clams. BTW, cross at the new crossing at San Ysidro, or at Tecate...it's easy and now much easier to figure out! Carla
Old 12-15-12, 09:33 AM   #7
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Hi Carla welcome to the board. Interesting first post. Question: I hear more and more about what you said: "don't listen to weenies in San Diego who want to keep you $$$ in their area!..." Have you ever seen anything to support that economic anti-tourism position? Personally I think it's a stretch. For example- a poll recently said Tijuaneros prefer to spend their shopping money in San Diego where prices are lower and quality is higher. If what you said is true- the US gov't would reduce the northbound wait times to 30 minutes (doable since they did it a few weeks ago as a test) to get all the money they can to the USA during the holiday- not four hour waits. I should think shorter border waits times puts more money into US cash registers than scaring people not to go to Baja. Following your logic are the current 2-4 hour border wait times enjoyed by Mexico so their people will spend all their Christmas dollars at home? No.

There is no crime being reported out of Rosarito Beach so don't drop your guard because it seems safe and quiet. We found a womans leg on the beach last week that belonged to a neighbor- and not a word was ever mentioned in the press. Just be careful and keep your head up.
Old 12-15-12, 10:59 AM   #8
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh

Hi Carla welcome to the board. Interesting first post. .

Interesting? Really? Just another serving of Image Committee BS.

Tell you what Carla......you're bringing your "Rosarito as peaceful paradise" crap to a board that will take you to task with facts if you try to sell it here so go back to the hotel, have a drink on Torrez's tab, and schmooze with the blind, uneducated tourists, if there are any.

Just when I had hoped the disingenuous, whoring expat PR nonsense had gone underground, along you come with the big wornout lies.
Go away.
Old 12-15-12, 01:26 PM   #9
Woooosh

Tell us how you really feel Dennis.

Old 12-15-12, 02:24 PM   #10
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh

Tell us how you really feel Dennis.

Well.....it goes like this...........
Old 12-15-12, 04:11 PM   #11
Woooosh

Everyone has the right to express themselves factually, with links and logic. Minus that you get iterative journalism- all the rage on the intertubes these days.
Old 12-15-12, 06:37 PM   #12
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Tough crowd

Hey, Merry Christmas and enjoy