Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 01-16-13, 06:24 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default U.S. Exports Depend on Mexico

By Shannon O'Neil | LatinIntelligence
January 11, 2013

Surprising to many Americans is the importance of the United States’ trade with Mexico. While Asia captures the headlines, U.S. exports to Mexico are double those to China, and second only to Canada.

And while many of these goods come from border states—Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and California—Mexico matters for much more of the union. Seventeen states send more than 10 percent of their exports to Mexico, and it is the number one or two destination for U.S. goods for nearly half the country. The graph below shows those states most economically dependent on our southern neighbor–notice that South Dakota and Nebraska outpace New Mexico and California.

U.S. Census Bureau Data
These flows are only accelerating. During the first ten months of 2012 exports heading south grew by $17 billion dollars (or 10 percent) compared to 2011, reaching a total of $181 billion. They include petroleum products (some $17 billion worth) and intermediate goods such as vehicle parts, electrical apparatuses, industrial supplies, metals, and chemicals (over $40 billion combined). Spurred on by deep supply chains, these pieces and parts move fluidly back and forth across the border (often quite a few times) before ending up as finished goods on store shelves in both countries.

The uptick should be seen as a good thing. According to economic studies, these exports support some six million American jobs (directly and indirectly). But to continue this dynamism, the United States and Mexico need to improve border infrastructure and facilitate flows. This means expanding border crossings and highways, and harmonizing regulations and customs to make the process easier and faster. Prioritizing and investing in bilateral trade will provide greater opportunity and security–for U.S. companies and workers alike.

source
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exports-to-Mexico-4.png

Views:	14

Size:	29.5 KB

ID:	3392  

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-16-13, 10:17 PM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: U.S. Exports Depend on Mexico

New Hampshire exports 20% more to Mexico than California? I gotta look into that. Is the oil exported the same oil imported and refined before being exported? What's the China trade data look like?
Old 01-16-13, 10:28 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I think it is graphically representing the percentage of exports to Mexico as compared to the total exports from THAT state.

I think...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
J.P.
This message has been deleted by J.P.. Reason: dont like
Old 01-18-13, 01:38 PM   #4
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

BajaGringo, You are totally correct.

The chart could be misleading. :)

The % does not indicate total dollar exportation per state only the % of it's total exportation that goes to Mexico.

What does surprise me is the what I consider high numbers are the 35% of total export economy for Texas and Arizona.

Texas might be related to refinery statistics but if I am correct Arizona only has one refinery.
Arizona's largest employer is Wall Mart, could it be cross border shipping to Mexico out of Wall Mart that is driving up their numbers?

If so I would say that the numbers are a bit skewed as I think most of Wall Marts product comes out from across the Pacific!