Baja Spanglish Cerveza, Baño and Dinero - You Got it Covered

Old 01-27-13, 07:33 PM   #1
Spanglish

Spanglish is on a distinguished road

Default Conjugation of Regular Verbs in the Present Indicative

If you're new to learning Spanish, chances are that the conjugation for the present indicative tense is the first conjugation set you'll be learning. Although it isn't the easiest conjugation set, it's the one you'll be using most often. (If you don't know what the terms in this paragraph mean, be sure to read the introduction to conjugation and the introduction to the present tense).

As is the case with some of the other conjugation forms, the present indicative forms are made by removing the infinitive ending of the verb (-ar, -er or -ir) and replacing it with an ending that indicates who is performing the action of the verb.

To take one example, the infinitive form of the verb that means "to speak" is hablar. Its infinitive ending is -ar, leaving the stem of habl-. To say "I speak," add -o to the stem, forming hablo. To say "you speak" (singular informal), add -as to the stem, forming hablas. Other forms exist for other persons.

The endings are slightly different for verbs that end in -er and -ir, but the principle is the same. Remove the infinitive ending, then add the appropriate ending to the remaining stem.

The following chart shows the conjugations for each of the three infinitive types. The added endings for each verb are indicated in boldface.

-ar verbs (example verb hablar, to speak)
yo (I) — hablo (I speak)
tú (you, singular informal) — hablas (you speak)
él (he), ella (she), usted (you, singular formal) — habla (he speaks, she speaks, you speak)
nosotros, nosotras (we) — hablamos (we speak)
vosotros, vosotras (you, plural informal) — habláis (you speak)
ellos (they), ellas (they), ustedes (you, plural, formal) — hablan (they speak)

-er verbs (example verb aprender, to learn)
yo (I) — aprendo (I learn)
tú (you, singular informal) — aprendes (you learn)
él (he), ella (she), usted (you, singular formal) — aprende (he learns, she learns, you learn)
nosotros, nosotras (we) — aprendemos (we learn)
vosotros, vosotras (you, plural informal) — aprendéis (you learn)
ellos (they), ellas (they), ustedes (you, plural, formal) — aprenden (they learn, you learn)

-ir verbs (example verb vivir, to live)
yo (I) — vivo (I live)
tú (you, singular informal) — vives (he lives, she lives, you live)
él (he), ella (she), usted (you, singular formal) — vive (he lives, she lives, you live)
nosotros, nosotras (we) — vivimos (we live)
vosotros, vosotras (you, plural informal) — vivís (you live)
ellos (they), ellas (they), ustedes (you, plural, formal) — viven (they live, you live)

Note that the conjugations above are for verbs that follow the regular conjugation. Although most verbs conjugate regularly, the most common verbs usually do not (just as in English, where verbs such as "to be" and "to go" are highly irregular).