Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 01-28-13, 08:23 PM   #1
MonarchSalt

MonarchSalt is on a distinguished road

Default Mar De Coral

I saw this location and a few others similar in Gaviotas and Popotla. It is my intention to go on a scout and physically see where I want to live but appreciate any input! My first trip down will be in March and Ill stay at the Family Rosarito Beach Hotel; however, I will only have 3 days for that initial scouting Venture.Input greatly appreciated!

(Tried to add my Roxy dog as an avatar but she came out sideways...spose I should read the "how to" instructions...unless moderator doesnt mind straightening it...:)

Last edited by MonarchSalt; 01-28-13 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Re avatar
Old 01-28-13, 09:06 PM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Mar De Coral

You should find plenty of current units listed on line (Realtors have rental listings or try Craig's list Tijuana) and make a tour of them.

Wish I could help you with Roxy, but making her roll over and come back to life is beyond my mod squad super powers. very cute either way.

Last edited by Woooosh; 01-28-13 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 08:08 AM   #3
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

One thing to think about when picking a living spot is proximity and availibility to the things you like to do, want or need.

You may also want to expand your horizons and look a bit south to Ensenada. Do not rush into anything without a complete investigation. Stay away from electric heat. Is the water supply from a municipal source or is it from a pila????. Ask the questions and look for and verify the answers you receive/want.

The people who have problems with their move to, and living here in Baja fail to do their homework prior to the move.

Since "Realtors" and Real Estate Agents are not regulated or licensed in Mexico, I suggest you deal directly with owners when looking to rent/purchase.
Old 01-29-13, 01:50 PM   #4
MonarchSalt

WHOOOSH
Thanks for responding! I do have quite a list of places/areas to look at but if there was any inside negative and/ or positive info on, for example, "Del Coral", I would save time since my first visit will be o short. for your response! looks likr Roxy sat herself upright haha ..I think BajaGringo fixed her!

TENIENTE
I have considered Ensenada but hoped to remain a bit closer to NOB for the sake of visits with my kids. Of course they can come down and see me on their own but the majority of the time they are only in th SD related to Water Polo (they play/ train/ coach). Thanks for your advice...I definitely need a list of questions to ask the home owners.. Im sure I can find such a list on this site!

Last edited by MonarchSalt; 01-29-13 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Name correction..I originally referred to Teniente as Caliente..and I was short a 'O' on Whooosh..
Old 01-30-13, 08:45 AM   #5
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchSalt
WHOOOSH

TENIENTE
I have considered Ensenada but hoped to remain a bit closer to NOB for the sake of visits with my kids. Of course they can come down and see me on their own but the majority of the time they are only in th SD related to Water Polo (they play/ train/ coach). Thanks for your advice...I definitely need a list of questions to ask the home owners.. Im sure I can find such a list on this site!

Takes us about 90 minutes to get from our place in Ensenada to the Otay crossing and across using SENTRI....short hop on the 905 FWY to the 805 or the 5 FWY then into San Diego.

We decided on Ensenada because of the variety of things to do here (always something going on) and the proximity to the border.

We pick up visitors at the SD airport a couple of times a year, or meet first time visitors at the border often.

Make a list of your wants and needs, then check Ensenada out!!!
Old 01-30-13, 09:30 AM   #6
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"...Caliente..."

Now we know how to properly address you, Terry.
Old 01-30-13, 01:47 PM   #7
MonarchSalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Takes us about 90 minutes to get from our place in Ensenada to the Otay crossing and across using SENTRI....short hop on the 905 FWY to the 805 or the 5 FWY then into San Diego.

We decided on Ensenada because of the variety of things to do here (always something going on) and the proximity to the border.

We pick up visitors at the SD airport a couple of times a year, or meet first time visitors at the border often.

Make a list of your wants and needs, then check Ensenada out!!!
Thank you..Maybe I should squeeze Ensenada into my first scouting trip comin up soon. Heck..maybe I should stay at a Hotel there in Ensenada and work my way back through. Hmmmmm so much to consider. Thanks for your advice!
Old 01-30-13, 06:30 PM   #8
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Not a bad idea to see it all headed south and then work your way back north to the spots that visually interested you.
Old 02-01-13, 09:01 AM   #9
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Not a bad idea to see it all headed south and then work your way back north to the spots that visually interested you.
Cristina and I invested a lot of time doing the same except that we did it while working our way south. Something just kept bringing us back to this little stretch of beach.

You'll know the right place for you when you see it...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-01-13, 11:38 AM   #10
MonarchSalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Cristina and I invested a lot of time doing the same except that we did it while working our way south. Something just kept bringing us back to this little stretch of beach.

You'll know the right place for you when you see it...
Thanks...Im making an entirely new scouting plan after the recent incident in Rosarito. My original plan was PV but the issue of humidity was emphasized so much I decided against it. I have been to Cabo and PV in the capacity of vacationer so I guess I didn't notice!
Tammy
Old 02-01-13, 12:02 PM   #11
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

That is the trap too many fall into when they make the decision to move/buy here based solely on the fond memory of a nice vacation they had in the past.

Like anywhere on the planet, daily life here is quite different than the one finds as a tourist. You really need to invest the time to check it out thoroughly; learn how the weather changes throughout the year and see how you will manage with your spanish skills doing every day activities like driving, shopping or just paying your utility bills.

Not trying to discourage you but just want to help you avoid any unwelcome surprises down the road...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-01-13, 01:04 PM   #12
beachbum

beachbum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
That is the trap too many fall into when they make the decision to move/buy here based solely on the fond memory of a nice vacation they had in the past.
Yeah, both Cabo and Puerto Vallarta can be nice weather at times of the year but both spots are brutal from July until October. My advice is to stay on the Pacific coast side.
Old 02-01-13, 05:26 PM   #13
MonarchSalt

Both your posts (BajaGringo and beachbum) make alot of sense. I agree That a move such as the one I plan involves tons of planning and research. I am fortunate to have the time/ability to take this journey on in the smartest path possible!!!!