Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 03-19-13, 12:39 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Default Secretary of Tourism in Jalisco Killed

03/19/13 – José de Jesús Gallegos Álvarez, the recently appointed secretary of tourism (Secretario de Turismo) for the state of Jalisco, was assassinated on Saturday, March 9, 2013, in Zapopan, [...]

More...
Old 03-19-13, 10:35 PM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Secretary of Tourism in Jalisco Killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noticias
03/19/13 – José de Jesús Gallegos Álvarez, the recently appointed secretary of tourism (Secretario de Turismo) for the state of Jalisco, was assassinated on Saturday, March 9, 2013, in Zapopan, [...]

More...

This was on 3/9/2013. He was only on the job for 10 days. They said the assassination was NOT related to his present job as Secretary of Tourism, but to his prior one. Great selection process huh? Now two weeks later they announce: "Spring Break 2013 in Acapulco is over before it started." I think they have fewer cruise ships arriving too. Let's hope Baja never goes this route.

Mexico Gulf Reporter: Huge cancellations in Acapulco, as spring breakers go elsewhere and Spain issues new warning for Mexico

Huge cancellations in Acapulco, as spring breakers go elsewhere and Spain issues new warning for Mexico

Guadalajara -
Spring Break 2013 in Acapulco is over before it started.

The Guerrero state secretary of tourism said today that based upon information obtained from innkeepers, 80% of spring breakers have canceled their reservations, most of which were for later this month.

Officials reported that at least 4,000 confirmed reservations have been canceled. Another 700 unconfirmed but expected student visitors failed to secure their places in recent weeks. Three hundred spring breakers still plan to visit the world famous resort, which has been besieged by security issues in the past six weeks.

A tourism spokesperson said that the cancellations represented a "grave problem" for the hospitality industry. A federal deputy who represents legislative districts in Guerrero noted that tourism accounts for at least 50% of the regional economy.

Six Spanish tourists were gang raped in Acapulco on Feb. 4. Two days later the Spanish Foreign Ministry called the resort and its environs a "zone of special danger." The Ministry issued a new alert last week, advising citizens to completely avoid Mexico if possible, particularly Guerrero state.

It especially urged Spaniards to avoid mountainous, rural regions of the state, where security has all but evaporated (Gunmen ambush police patrol in war torn Guerrero state, leaving nine officers dead). The Ministry warned of fake police roadblocks which might be manned by criminals wearing uniforms.

Daily violence continues on unabated in Acapulco. Yesterday a bus driver and two relief drivers were shot to death while they prepared to take on passengers in front of a suburban merchandise mart. A commando team of unidentified assailants fled after the executions. Last month the city's mayor acknowledged the "image of Acapulco" is on the line, and begged Enrique Peña Nieto for federal help.

But Guerrero governor Ángel Aguirre complained in a press interview Monday that "every little event in Acapulco gets magnified," saying "dark interests" are behind the maligning of the city's reputation. He may travel to Spain to meet with government officials there, he said.

Meanwhile, Madrid recommended many other regions of the country be avoided as well.

"The insecurity which is ravaging Mexico, especially, although not solely, in northern states, should be taken into account by those who have plans to travel in the region, as well as by Spanish citizens who reside there," cautioned the Foreign Ministry in its announcement.

The Spanish government warned of "special danger for travelers" in the following areas:

• Ciudad Juárez and nearby border crossings
• The states of Chihuahua, Durango, Nuevo Leon, Sinaloa and Sonora
• The state of Tamaulipas, especially Ciudad Victoria, and border crossings near Laredo, McAllen and Brownsville, Texas
• Tampico, Tamaulipas
• Virtually all of the Monterrey metropolitan area, as well as major highways leading to it from any direction (Feb. 14 - Family of ICE agent murdered by Los Zetas in Mexico sues U.S. government)
• The states of Michoacán and Veracruz
Old 03-20-13, 10:56 AM   #3
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

Any state that has deferred travel notices is pretty much a dead zone in my opinion. As a traveler I wouldn't consider traveling to any state that has a defer travel notice on it, even in the areas of the state without such notice.

I am reluctant to do even go to Mexicali or Tijuana at this point, and I can't convince my wife to travel into Baja at all anymore because of the drug violence. I'm not even sure myself that the area between Mexicali and San Felipe is safe anymore.

Basically other than flying straight into Cabo, most people I know don't want to go to Baja Calfornia at all anymore.

-Roger
Old 03-20-13, 11:16 AM   #4
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
Any state that has deferred travel notices is pretty much a dead zone in my opinion. As a traveler I wouldn't consider traveling to any state that has a defer travel notice on it, even in the areas of the state without such notice.

I am reluctant to do even go to Mexicali or Tijuana at this point, and I can't convince my wife to travel into Baja at all anymore because of the drug violence. I'm not even sure myself that the area between Mexicali and San Felipe is safe anymore.

Basically other than flying straight into Cabo, most people I know don't want to go to Baja Calfornia at all anymore.

-Roger
I have a few friends in San Diego that mimic those words also. It is just one of those things that has been going around San Diego that was an excuse to not spend $120.00 US on a US passport at first, now it is myth status. Those that know the border region of Baja also know it is a safe as it ever was if you keep your nose out of the wrong places. Alan
Old 03-20-13, 12:33 PM   #5
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicaliAlan
I have a few friends in San Diego that mimic those words also. It is just one of those things that has been going around San Diego that was an excuse to not spend $120.00 US on a US passport at first, now it is myth status. Those that know the border region of Baja also know it is a safe as it ever was if you keep your nose out of the wrong places. Alan
I do wish what you said was the whole truth, but it is not. That is why the US Consul General has kept the travel advisory in place for Baja California. You have to live here to know the true dangers and risks. It is def not as safe as it ever was- unless you are comparing it to the vicious crime wave that passed through here 2006-2009. Even while that was taking place and bodies were hanging from bridges and being melted in acid- the media was saying it was safe. I do agree that 99% of the people killed are involved in drugs, but if Tijuana was really safe the business owners wouldn't commute to work from their homes in San Diego. Drugs is only one part of the safety problem- many Mexicans who have nothing to do with drugs are victims of extortion over their businesses. Our cousin had his head placed on top of his truck for not paying extortion on his restaurant. Sadly his body was not attached to it.

As I have posted before- Rosarito and Detroit have about the same Homicide rates. What they don't have the same is capture and conviction rates. But if you are only changing planes in Detroit (and avoid the City) or visiting Rosarito Beach during daylight (staying west of the toll road) and stay at the Rosarito Beach Hotel with your wristband on- you will be safe-enough. But, If you decide to take a drive around Rosarito for dinner in Popotla at night- all bets for your safety are off. Sorry, I just happen to have a different perspective.

Baja is simply not a good value. Plus it now has to compete with the Gas Lamp Quarter of San Diego for the same demographic. Tourist destinations need to constantly innovate and improve their offerings like San Diego did. The fact the most popular restaurant chain in Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo for tourism (Ortega's Lobster) has opened the same restaurant in San Diego shows they have little confidence in Baja tourism. They have better profit margins in México, but not enough customers.

Last edited by Woooosh; 03-20-13 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 04:10 PM   #6
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Wish it wasn't so but I have to agree with Woooosh on this one. Mainly due to two reasons I believe:

1) As the US continues to tighten down on the border and together with Mexico make drug trafficking more difficult. Thousands of cartel food soldiers find themselves with less cash in their pockets and many resort to extortion and kidnapping to maintain their cash flow. They don't look for work in the maquiladoras.

2) Over a half million illegal aliens, many with criminal records have been deported by CBP and dropped off into Tijuana. That number is growing daily. A large percentage of those have no family or friends in Tijuana and are basically homeless with little or no cash in their pockets. A large percentage of them soon find themselves aligning with criminal street gangs in TJ to be able to survive, especially those already with a rap sheet.

The problem is complex and there simply is no easy solution. I wish there were...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-20-13, 04:53 PM   #7
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Wish it wasn't so but I have to agree with Woooosh on this one. Mainly due to two reasons I believe:

1) As the US continues to tighten down on the border and together with Mexico make drug trafficking more difficult. Thousands of cartel food soldiers find themselves with less cash in their pockets and many resort to extortion and kidnapping to maintain their cash flow. They don't look for work in the maquiladoras.

2) Over a half million illegal aliens, many with criminal records have been deported by CBP and dropped off into Tijuana. That number is growing daily. A large percentage of those have no family or friends in Tijuana and are basically homeless with little or no cash in their pockets. A large percentage of them soon find themselves aligning with criminal street gangs in TJ to be able to survive, especially those already with a rap sheet.

The problem is complex and there simply is no easy solution. I wish there were...
There is no joy in giving bad news. There is a lot going on below the surface we are not privy to. I have to trust the judgment of the US Consul General on safety. My biggest concern in Rosarito is there are no police we can trust since Captain Montero left. This week a drug operation moved in across the street from us and they have already offered drugs to my worker. They likely work under protection from the police- so who do we call to keep our neighborhood safe from drug dealers without getting ourselves killed? No one. This is not the same Baja we moved to. I can prove what I say, but why get myself killed for it? So we are forced to live around deportees and drug dealers with no one to help us. Nice retirement plan huh?
Old 03-20-13, 10:42 PM   #8
MexicaliAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
I do wish what you said was the whole truth, but it is not. That is why the US Consul General has kept the travel advisory in place for Baja California. You have to live here to know the true dangers and risks. It is def not as safe as it ever was- unless you are comparing it to the vicious crime wave that passed through here 2006-2009. Even while that was taking place and bodies were hanging from bridges and being melted in acid- the media was saying it was safe. I do agree that 99% of the people killed are involved in drugs, but if Tijuana was really safe the business owners wouldn't commute to work from their homes in San Diego. Drugs is only one part of the safety problem- many Mexicans who have nothing to do with drugs are victims of extortion over their businesses. Our cousin had his head placed on top of his truck for not paying extortion on his restaurant. Sadly his body was not attached to it.

As I have posted before- Rosarito and Detroit have about the same Homicide rates. What they don't have the same is capture and conviction rates. But if you are only changing planes in Detroit (and avoid the City) or visiting Rosarito Beach during daylight (staying west of the toll road) and stay at the Rosarito Beach Hotel with your wristband on- you will be safe-enough. But, If you decide to take a drive around Rosarito for dinner in Popotla at night- all bets for your safety are off. Sorry, I just happen to have a different perspective.

Baja is simply not a good value. Plus it now has to compete with the Gas Lamp Quarter of San Diego for the same demographic. Tourist destinations need to constantly innovate and improve their offerings like San Diego did. The fact the most popular restaurant chain in Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo for tourism (Ortega's Lobster) has opened the same restaurant in San Diego shows they have little confidence in Baja tourism. They have better profit margins in México, but not enough customers.

Sorry to hear about Rosarito lately. I did live in Mexicali during the 2006 to 2009 times and it was hard to imagine those things were actually happening underfoot but it didn´t stop people from doing what they always did. I actually saw a few incidents personally from my car but saw much more on the local TV news and also from TJ local stories. Where I live now is more tranquil. I was at my father in laws house in an older colonia popular tonight and saw 3 year old girls running around by themselves to the store and back and all ages of young children on the busy street by themselves with no worries which is normal here in San Luis Potosi.

Most times in Mexicali no one mentions the crime being worse except break ins and car thiefs are up the last 1 1/2 years or so.

Travelling around things seem normal except sometimes I hear of this city or that in Central Mexico experiencing violence but it dies down soon after. It appears Tampico has been experiencing much over the last couple of years and still is. Guadalajara is about the same as usual. One friend said his family in Mexicali are saying things aren´t as tranquil as before when he was there last week but it just started up again lately there, he lives in San Diego.
Old 03-21-13, 05:13 PM   #9
Uzun

When the US dept of state says things like this about a region, you can bet most americans who bother to read travel warnings won't go near. Unfortunately many states in mexico have such warnings. When i see defer non-essential, it means I won't go there under any circumstances, and I think most of my friends feel the same way. Even the city of San Luis Potosi would be a pass for me right now, there are just too many other options. The Mexican govt has to do something to right this ship or it's going to continue to suffer, in fact things will only get worse tourist wise.

Dept of state warning -
San Luis Potosi: You should defer non-essential travel to the state of San Luis Potosi, except the city of San Luis Potosi where you should exercise caution
Old 03-22-13, 07:25 AM   #10
MexicaliAlan

Quote:
When the US dept of state says things like this about a region, you can bet most americans who bother to read travel warnings won't go near. Unfortunately many states in mexico have such warnings. When i see defer non-essential, it means I won't go there under any circumstances, and I think most of my friends feel the same way. Even the city of San Luis Potosi would be a pass for me right now, there are just too many other options. The Mexican govt has to do something to right this ship or it's going to continue to suffer, in fact things will only get worse tourist wise.

Dept of state warning -
San Luis Potosi: You should defer non-essential travel to the state of San Luis Potosi, except the city of San Luis Potosi where you should exercise caution
"Travel Warning
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Print
Email

Mexico

November 20, 2012"

If you believe a 4 month old outdated travel warning against a resident of San Luis Potosi then I guess Mexico is not the place for you to travel around in. As I stated in my previous post: " Violence occures in this city or that city here BUT soon blows over and things get back to NORMAL!" 4 months is a long time ago in my world and has nothing to do with today. Alan
Old 03-22-13, 10:03 AM   #11
Uzun

I'm telling these warnings, and this is the latest warning that is still in full effect for the state of San Luis Potosi, is turning off a LOT of American travelers.
Old 03-22-13, 10:09 AM   #12
BajaGringo

Quote:
I'm telling these warnings, and this is the latest warning that is still in full effect for the state of San Luis Potosi, is turning off a LOT of American travelers.
And rightfully so.

Old 03-22-13, 01:08 PM   #13
MexicaliAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
And rightfully so.
I presume travellers might stick out as tourists but what has that got to do with those who live here? Does State Department travel advisors really mean anything other than advising people to stay safe and act accordingly which is a no brainer anyway for Americans and Canadians who are obviously foreign looking. Do we hid in our houses after dark? Do we quit wearing "fanny packs"? Maybe some should? Or is that only French travellers?

Last edited by MexicaliAlan; 03-23-13 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 01:54 PM   #14
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicaliAlan
I presume travellers might stick out as tourists but what has that got to do with those who live here? Does State Department travel advisors really mean anything other than advising people to stay safe and act accordingly which is a no brainer anyway for American and Canadians who are obviously foriegn looking. Do we hid in our houses after dark? Do we quit wearing "fanny packs"? Maybe some should? Or is that only French travellers?
I think it is also an effective way for the US government to put pressure on countries to "clean up their act". I realize when I say such a thing that other countries would be well justified to issue travel warnings for parts of the US as well.

Welcome to the 21st century...