Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 04-16-13, 11:03 AM   #1
SouthBound

SouthBound is on a distinguished road

Default New here on the boards

Hi,

I'm Lynne and we are looking to head south to Baja (maybe the Ensenada area) in the near future. My husband is an Mexican National from a small town in Guerrero but has family in TJ. We live in Washinton State but in the desert not the wet side of the state.

Not sure if we want HOT, HOT, HOT or mild weather, just don't want the high humidity with the heat. We are used to hot, drier climate but the 70-80's are good also. Will just have to scope out the area before we decide to permanently settle in a location.

Also, I have a question on vehicles brought in from the states. The cost to keep your vehicle is pretty steep if it is newer, do most people use them to move down and then sell in Cali? Just curious.

I have been following the discussions for a while and thought it was time to join in and say HI!!!
Old 04-16-13, 06:17 PM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New here on the boards

Hi Lynne,

and thanks for joining!

Somebody will be along in a bit with some answers/suggestions for you.
Old 04-16-13, 07:35 PM   #3
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Hi Lynne.....Ensenada sounds about right for your moderate climate requirments.
As far as your car goes,.............it's nice to have a good ride for trips to the states, and it's a good idea to have a Baja Beater to use around town. Think about both.
Old 04-16-13, 08:13 PM   #4
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Greetings from another Washingtonian!

We have decided on the San Quintin area for similar climate reasons as yours.
We both grew up in the San Diego area, so the Northern Baja climate is famililar to us.
I like the remote feel to the San Quintin beach areas, and yet SQ has everything we need, from food to building supplies, but is refreshingly free of tourist dives.

We plan on having one car to drive to and from the states, and as Dennis recommends, another to beat up driving around the area.

I will have a trailer boat of some kind, so I'll need something beefy enough to handle a slippery ramp and a single axle trailer.

Good luck, and enjoy your quest!
Old 04-16-13, 09:20 PM   #5
DebMer

DebMer is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Southbound.
Old 04-18-13, 05:45 AM   #6
SouthBound

SouthBound is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the Welcomes to the boards. Will look forward to more discussions with everyone.

Dennis, Ensenada seems to be more moderate in climate since we currently live in an area of extremes that has cold winters, hot summers with nice spring/fall weather except the winds and only 7 inches of precipitation (snow/rain).

Islander, San Quintin sounds interesting but have lived in very small to smaller (under 1,000 to7,000) communities when we were in Central Oregon (for 15 years) but prefer a little larger. Pasco (60,000) is in the Tri-cities and has approx. 260,000 people. It is nice to be closer to a larger community, but not too large
Old 04-18-13, 10:07 AM   #7
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

SouthBound............depending on your "wants" and "needs", I would suggest you look at the Punta Banda area, south of main Ensenada. Close enough for all major services but far enoug away to feel "rural".

About a one and a half to two hour drive to the border/San Diego.

Come down and visit!!!!
Old 04-18-13, 12:40 PM   #8
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

welcome
Old 05-08-13, 12:51 AM   #9
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Welcome Southbound. Ahhhh, Baja !!!