Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 04-19-13, 09:36 PM   #1
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Violent deaths triple in Rosarito

I'm sure others in Rosarito Beach share my frustration on having homicides triple and home robberies increase- with no news agency to let us know (in Spanish or English). I wonder if the US State Department could brief American Ex-pats by e-mail somehow, or ring a gong when it's time to run to the border for safety. Tweekers know who has something worth stealing and selling. Seems like the PR machine is set on suppressing bad news. I don't blame them- but it's not fun to live here in the dark right now. Everyone gossips about the crime and I thought it was mass hysteria- but it looks like they were right. A neighbor put their house up for sale just today and said they'd like to move anywhere else in Baja besides Rosarito Beach. I've honestly never heard that one before.

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informacio...n-rosarito

PLAYAS DE ROSARITO.- After reporting that from January to date, when compared to last year for the same time period, the number of deaths from violence have practically tripled, as there were four this time last year and this year there are 15.

However, based upon the investigations carried out by the ministerial police, headed by Commander Romero, it can be said that some 90% of these are linked to drug addiction, by persons under the effects of undetermined or determined toxic substances, or are the result of these, such as the painful case of the mother who hanged her two daughters and then herself.

This was reported yesterday to EL MEXICANO, by Rodolfo Santiago Azcarrega, deputy state prosecutor in Playas de Tijuana. He added that in light of these events it is necessary to take more precise means in coordination with the health sector and with the other police departments to combat the drug dealers and have a greater effectiveness in this combat to reduce the problem of drug addiction that is becoming the main factor in these types of bloody events.

On the other hand, the Attorney General official who was interviewed in his offices, said that thanks to the good work carried out by the Public Minister, and the coordination between the other police departments, they have managed to noticeable decrease the robbery rate in closed homes, as well as businesses, warehouses and industries.

They are dedicating a greater focus on the problem of home robberies, where unfortunately the number of cases has increased, in particular in those homes that have been abandoned by the debtors.

Last edited by Woooosh; 04-19-13 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-20-13, 07:28 AM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Violent deaths triple in Rosarito

I think they changed their website recently; that link above doesn't work and my old link to their homepage didn't either.

2013-04-17 - Se triplican muertes violentas en Rosarito
Old 04-21-13, 12:47 PM   #3
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
I think they changed their website recently; that link above doesn't work and my old link to their homepage didn't either.

2013-04-17 - Se triplican muertes violentas en Rosarito
Thanks Marty. The papers are reporting the statistics (albeit months after the fact). What is missing is crime reports. There is a house near me with the PGJE seals on it from a murder, but no murder there has been reported by the press. Three months from now that number may be included in a report- but what good does that do the neighbors who want to know what is going on around them today? Mexico has come out and said it will suppress crime news and news about the cartels. So far they are keeping their word.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it- is there a sound? That is apparently the philosophy of the media managers when it comes to reporting homicides and cartel activities. Does hiding crime from the public make us feel safer? Hardly.

Last edited by Woooosh; 04-21-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 08:16 PM   #4
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
That is apparently the philosophy of the media managers when it comes to reporting homicides and cartel activities. Does hiding crime from the public make us feel safer? Hardly.
The hush-hush was a pre-election agreement a "Political Decision".

Maybe they think it will all go away if they don't report it.
Old 04-22-13, 08:34 PM   #5
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_JOHNNY
The hush-hush was a pre-election agreement a "Political Decision".

Maybe they think it will all go away if they don't report it.
Maybe they didn't want people to know the murder rate has tripled under the new Rosarito police chief who has failed his control and confidence exams, yet remains on the job with a close relative a top contender for Baja Governor. Yup, maybe that's it.