Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 08-04-09, 01:51 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post Mexico registers big jump in swine flu cases (AFP)

MEXICO CITY (AFP) – Mexico has recorded a big jump in swine flu cases with more than 1,100 new infections in just five days, taking the total number soaring above the 17,000 mark, the health ministry said Tuesday.

"As of yesterday (Monday) evening the number of confirmed cases of A(H1N1) in the country was 17,416, of which 146 have died," the ministry said in a statement.

Most of the new infections occurred in July, a ministry spokesman said.

There were no new fatalities, but the updated figure represented a rise of 974 cases of infection since the last ministry update five days ago.

It was unclear where all the new cases had occurred, but the impoverished southeastern state of Chiapas has been struggling to contain a sharp rise in recorded cases in recent weeks.

Since the virus first emerged in Mexico in April, it has spread globally, reaching pandemic level and affecting nearly every country in the world, according to the World Health Organization.

The United States has recorded the most deaths from the virus, 353 so far, followed by Argentina with 165 deaths.

More...
Old 08-04-09, 03:06 PM   #2
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Mexico registers big jump in swine flu cases (AFP)

World-wide, officials are privately saying that since new cases continue to arise during what would usually be a fallow season for flu, they are bracing for an unprecedented outbreak by late fall. The drug companies are racing to produce enough vaccine to be able to get ahead of the curve, but is shaping up as a real race. On a related note, a seldom used vaccine for pneumonia has been shown to be effective in advanced cases of H1N1, and could potentially reduce deaths by one-third.
Old 08-05-09, 08:05 AM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I read somewhere else online a few days ago that health officials in the USA are quite fearful of what is coming and mentioned the need to prepare much better this time, citing the example of how Mexico handled the outbreak earlier this year. The fact that the virus began in Mexico but there have been more deaths in the USA says something...
Old 08-06-09, 06:30 AM   #4
blowhole

blowhole is on a distinguished road

Whew...an amiga just turned me onto Magic Mineral Solution...google it...i had a sore throat and was starting to get a bit sick and this stuff cured me right quick...in a few hours I started feeling better...might be a good thing to have in your medecine cabinet!!!

Juan told me I had to stop hugging and kissing every tom dick and harry that come to visit...sheesh...what fun would that be!