General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 05-10-13, 03:01 PM   #1
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Default Homeowners Insurance Northern Baja

We own a condo just south of Rosarito Beach and have our Homeowners Insurance with ACE Seguros Homeowners Program. We purchased the policy one year ago via Mexpro. We recently received a letter advising that the policy expires June 3 and we need to renew. The letter had a logo titled " International Insurancxe Group Inc" in Flagstaff Arizona. When I called the toll free number listed on the letter, no one answered so I left my name and policy number and asked for someone to call me back. So far, no call back.

I am asking if anyone can give a recommendation for Homeowners Insurance in North Baja, espcially where I would have someone, especially if I was reporting a claim, to call me back and help me.
Old 05-10-13, 05:28 PM   #2
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Homeowners Insurance orthern Baja

Hmmm. .. .. doesn't quite seem to add up, does it?
Old 05-11-13, 04:19 PM   #3
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
We own a condo just south of Rosarito Beach and have our Homeowners Insurance with ACE Seguros Homeowners Program. We purchased the policy one year ago via Mexpro. We recently received a letter advising that the policy expires June 3 and we need to renew. The letter had a logo titled " International Insurancxe Group Inc" in Flagstaff Arizona. When I called the toll free number listed on the letter, no one answered so I left my name and policy number and asked for someone to call me back. So far, no call back.

I am asking if anyone can give a recommendation for Homeowners Insurance in North Baja, espcially where I would have someone, especially if I was reporting a claim, to call me back and help me.

My question would be Is there a Master Policy that Insures the Structure ?
My Home is insured through .MAPFRE
Old 05-11-13, 07:54 PM   #4
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Elena Betts, in Ensenada. I'm sure Dennis has her phone/e-mail
Old 05-12-13, 07:48 AM   #5
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Elena Betts, in Ensenada. I'm sure Dennis has her phone/e-mail
Thanks I have contacted her via email and she is working on it. Yes, just as in any major development, there is a master insurance policy covering the buildings for fire and earthquake. This is what part of your HOA fee covers.
Old 05-12-13, 02:00 PM   #6
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks I have contacted her via email and she is working on it. Yes, just as in any major development, there is a master insurance policy covering the buildings for fire and earthquake. This is what part of your HOA fee covers.
Well Larry, that is the FIRST positive comment I have ever seen about a HOA in a Mexican community. I think one local ex-pat community even has two dueling HOA's. Good to know some HOA's have it together. People love to hate them- on both sides of the border.
Old 05-12-13, 02:08 PM   #7
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Well Larry, that is the FIRST positive comment I have ever seen about a HOA in a Mexican community. I think one local ex-pat community even has two dueling HOA's. Good to know some HOA's have it together. People love to hate them- on both sides of the border.
That is one of the main reasons we bought at Club Marena. It is an established development, over 20 yrs, and Jaime the developer has an excellant reputation. Approx. 10 yrs ago there was a fire(accidently started by an occupant) and the whole building burned to the ground. It was rebuiult at no cost to the owners of the units.
Old 05-12-13, 03:28 PM   #8
J.P.

Quote:
That is one of the main reasons we bought at Club Marena. It is an established development, over 20 yrs, and Jaime the developer has an excellant reputation. Approx. 10 yrs ago there was a fire(accidently started by an occupant) and the whole building burned to the ground. It was rebuiult at no cost to the owners of the units.

I remember that fire It was pretty remarkable the way they got it back together good on them H O A's and Condos can be a nightmare. Are you responsible for a percentage of the common area.If so make sure its covered in your Home Owners.
Home Owners Policy's are some what different than they are in the U.S.
My policy was miss written for several years simply because the agent and myself didn't communicate because of my language barrier.
It took a fire in the area for us to get on the right page. The owner of the house that burned lost a lot of money because his house was a stick frame house with stucco and the policy coverage was for typical block const.
Old 05-12-13, 03:47 PM   #9
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
I remember that fire It was pretty remarkable the way they got it back together good on them H O A's and Condos can be a nightmare. Are you responsible for a percentage of the common area.If so make sure its covered in your Home Owners.
Home Owners Policy's are some what different than they are in the U.S.
My policy was miss written for several years simply because the agent and myself didn't communicate because of my language barrier.
It took a fire in the area for us to get on the right page. The owner of the house that burned lost a lot of money because his house was a stick frame house with stucco and the policy coverage was for typical block const.
I should think fire insurance for cement block houses is quite reasonable...
Old 05-12-13, 03:51 PM   #10
J.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
I should think fire insurance for cement block houses is quite reasonable...

He had to fight to get replacement value I don't know if he ever got enough.