General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 06-09-13, 10:43 AM   #1
DebMer

DebMer is on a distinguished road

Default Legal personal defense options in Mexico

So what are they? My understanding is that citizens aren't permitted to own guns, unless they have a special hunting license.

What are the most effective legal options?

Here in So. Cal. I carry pepper spray in my purse, and have considered ordering bear spray to carry around and getting wasp spray to keep on hand at home. Are these all legal in Mexico as personal defense?

What other options are there?
Old 06-09-13, 10:50 AM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Legal personal defense options in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMer
So what are they? My understanding is that citizens aren't permitted to own guns, unless they have a special hunting license.

Here in So. Cal. I carry pepper spray in my purse, and have considered ordering bear spray to carry around and getting wasp spray to keep on hand at home. Are these all legal in Mexico as personal defense?

Those are good, legal choices. A knife of legal carrying size is too small to be a deterrent.
If you really want to ward off a life threatening attack, tell 'em you know Karate.
Old 06-09-13, 10:51 AM   #3
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You named them: bear spray and wasp spray. Both have good range.
Old 06-09-13, 12:09 PM   #4
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=DebMer;36872]So what are they? My understanding is that citizens aren't permitted to own guns, unless they have a special hunting license. QUOTE]

Actually, not correct. You can own a firearm for personal protection, but as a practical matter you probably wouldn't qualify for one, however, you could try.

The authority in charge of the control of firearms in Mexico is the Executive Branch (Ejecutivo Federal) through the Secretariat of Interior (SEGOB) and the Secretariat of National Defense (SEDENA), the latter responsible for issuing licenses and running the General Directorate for the Federal Firearms Registry and Explosives Control (DGRFAFyCE).

The Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives (Ley Federal de Armas de Fuego y Explosivos) is an act of Congress and the legal framework overseeing the lawful proliferation of firearms in the country, including their import, manufacture, sale, purchase, ownership, and possession.

The Regulation of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives (Reglamento de la Ley Federal de Armas de Fuego y Explosivos) is an additional legal framework governing firearms.

The right to keep arms

In regards to the right to keep arms, Title II, Chapter II, Article 15 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives states:

(translated) Weapons may be kept in the home for security and legitimate defense of its dwellers. Their possession imposes the duty to manifest them to the Secretariat of National Defense for their registration. For every weapon, record of its registration will be issued.

Under this clause, citizens are entitled to keep firearms of the type and calibers permitted by law for their security and defense within their home only. Every weapon must be registered with the federal government. It should be noted that while federal law does not set a limit, in legal practice, citizens are only allowed to keep a total of 10 registered firearms (nine long guns, one handgun) per household.

Additionally, a place of business or employment is not covered under this provision unless the place of business is the same as the place of residence (home business) and therefore it is illegal to keep or carry a firearm in a place of business, even if the business is owned by the lawful registered owner of the weapon unless the appropriate license to carry outside the home is issued by SEDENA.

The right to bear arms

In regards to the right to bear arms (carry them beyond the home), Title II, Chapter III, Article 24 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives states:

(translated) To carry weapons, the appropriate license is required. Members of the Army, Navy and Air Force are exempted from the foregoing, in the cases and conditions stipulated by applicable laws and regulations. Members of federal, state, of the Federal District, and municipal police institutions, as well as private security services, may carry weapons in the cases, conditions, and requirements established by present law and other applicable legal provisions.

Under this clause, only citizens who have been granted a license to carry can lawfully carry a firearm outside their homes. Beyond military and law enforcement members, these permits are only issued to persons who qualify such as those employed in private security firms, those who live in rural areas, or those who may be targets of crime (politicians, public officials, wealthy citizens).

Type of firearms permitted

In regards to what type of firearms are permitted, Title II, Chapter I, Article 9 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives states:

(translated) It may be kept or carried, under the terms and limitations established by this law, weapons of the following characteristics:[25]1.Semi-automatic handguns of caliber no greater than .380 (9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, and 9×17mm). Left excepted are calibers .38 Super and .38 commander, and also calibers 9mm. [Such as] Mausser, Luger, Parabellum and Commander, as well as similar models of the same caliber of the excepted, from other brands.

2.Revolvers of calibers no greater than .38 Special, left excepted is caliber .357 magnum.
Land tenure owners, common land owners and farmworkers outside urban zones, may keep and carry, upon registration, one weapon of those already mentioned, or a .22 caliber rifle, or a shotgun of any caliber, except those of a barrel length shorter than 25 inches (635mm) and of caliber greater than 12-gauge (.729" or 18.5 MM).

Additionally, Article 10 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives states:
(translated) The firearms that can be authorized to participants of shooting or hunting, to keep in their home or to carry with a license, are the following:

1.Semi-automatic handguns, revolvers and rifles of caliber .22, rimfire ammo

2.Handguns of .38 caliber for Olympic shooting or other competition

3.Shotguns in all their calibers and models, except those with a barrel length shorter than 25 inches, and calibers greater than 12-gauge.

4.Triple-barrel shotguns in the calibers authorized in the preceding section, with a barrel for metallic cartridges of different caliber.

5.High-powered rifles, of repeating or semi-automatic function, non-convertible to full-auto, with the exception of .30 caliber carbines, rifles, moskets and carbines caliber .223, 7 and 7.62mm, and Garand rifles caliber .30.

6.High-powered rifles of greater caliber than those mentioned in the previous section, with special permission for their use abroad, for hunting of game bigger than those present in national wildlife.

Under these two articles, private citizens are generally restricted to semi-automatic handguns or revolvers of a caliber no greater than .380 (for home defense), rifles no greater than .22, and shotguns no greater than a 12-gauge (hunting and shooting when a member of a club). Anything bigger than those calibers is considered for exclusive use of the military and strictly forbidden for civilian possession, as defined by Article 11 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives. Only citizens with collector permits may be authorized to possess firearms outside those permitted for civilian ownership.
Old 06-09-13, 12:31 PM   #5
DENNIS

[QUOTE=Teniente;36876]
Quote:
So what are they? My understanding is that citizens aren't permitted to own guns, unless they have a special hunting license. QUOTE]

Actually, not correct. You can own a firearm for personal protection, but as a practical matter you probably wouldn't qualify for one, however, you could try.
Sure. You could try, if you have nothing but time and money to waste. These laws and regulations have been around for a long time....way before guns in Mexico became a real security issue for the authorities.
How many have died at the receiving end of a gun that is claimed to have come from the US?
And how many weapons were sent into the country by our government through "Fast 'n Furious?"

The regulations on the books today are meaningless. The unofficial line from the government is, "No more guns."
Old 06-09-13, 01:18 PM   #6
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=DENNIS;36877]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente

Sure. You could try, if you have nothing but time and money to waste. These laws and regulations have been around for a long time....way before guns in Mexico became a real security issue for the authorities.
How many have died at the receiving end of a gun that is claimed to have come from the US?
And how many weapons were sent into the country by our government through "Fast 'n Furious?"

The regulations on the books today are meaningless. The unofficial line from the government is, "No more guns."
Looks like "hunting club" members can keep a .22 rifle and up to a .38mm handgun at their homes for protection. I don't think it can be done on a tourist visa. Stick with the Wasp spray.

I don't know if using a TASER is a firearm violation or not. It fires no bullets. Old laws- new technology and issues.

There is also an "adapter" that allows flare guns to shoot shotgun shells (in a pinch)

Last edited by Woooosh; 06-09-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 02:04 PM   #7
Teniente

[QUOTE=Woooosh;36881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Looks like "hunting club" members can keep a .22 rifle and up to a .38mm handgun at their homes for protection.
A 38mm handgun would have a bore diameter of almost 1 1/2 inches!!!! (or almost 3 times the bore diameter of a .50 caliber slug)
Old 06-09-13, 02:10 PM   #8
DENNIS

[QUOTE=Teniente;36882
A 38mm handgun would have a bore diameter of almost 1 1/2 inches!!!! (or almost 3 times the bore diameter of a .50 caliber slug)[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Circumference.
Old 06-09-13, 02:33 PM   #9
Teniente

Quote:
I think you mean Circumference.
Caliber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires"
Old 06-09-13, 03:32 PM   #10
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Caliber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires"

OK...I see you said 38 mm........I was thinking caliber.
Old 06-10-13, 07:50 AM   #11
DebMer

Quote:
Those are good, legal choices. A knife of legal carrying size is too small to be a deterrent.
If you really want to ward off a life threatening attack, tell 'em you know Karate.
Or that I'm a ninja?
Old 06-10-13, 07:51 AM   #12
DebMer

Thanks for your responses, amigos.
Old 10-14-13, 06:43 AM   #13
Apgoee

Apgoee is on a distinguished road

Bringing a gun into Mexico, legal or not, is practically a guarantee that you are headed for the hoo skow....Beware.....apogee
Old 10-18-13, 08:49 PM   #14
kboy24

kboy24 is on a distinguished road

No Guns or Ammo and they are not hardly Bullshitting...Baseball bats, pipes and I carry a big knife in my glove box that I tell them is for Pescado but I've never had any problems down here. There's bad areas like anywhere else. Hell I'm in bed usually by dark, My Hussoungs days are way over.LOL...I'm wondering what to do with my Glock when I move down here in the next few years...I know the locals have guns...
Old 10-18-13, 09:47 PM   #15
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboy24
No Guns or Ammo and they are not hardly Bullshitting...Baseball bats, pipes and I carry a big knife in my glove box that I tell them is for Pescado but I've never had any problems down here. There's bad areas like anywhere else. Hell I'm in bed usually by dark, My Hussoungs days are way over.LOL...I'm wondering what to do with my Glock when I move down here in the next few years...I know the locals have guns...

What model and generation Glock do you have and how much do you want for it???
Old 10-22-13, 03:41 PM   #16
sancho

sancho is on a distinguished road

To me, the place of any kind of threat would come from, is being robbed while outside,
which would elimate carrying most of the above, I carry only enough $ for the outing,
I would gladly give up my $20 dlls. Pulling out a can of spray, being close enough
to use it, and being in that tense of a situation, I don't know if that would be
practical, not mentioning spraying yourself in the face. Been going to Mex since
'83, don't remember being in any situation requiring force. I like the baseball
bat, some put a glove and ball with it. Having to explain to the cops the
dead Mex National at your feet,
after shooting him, does not sound like the situation any of would like to be in. I think all they would want is some $, putting your life at risk, and maybe your freedom
doesn't seem worth it
Old 10-23-13, 09:53 AM   #17
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

The Mexican constitution guarantees the right of anyone living in Mexico - citizen or legal resident - to defend their home with a firearm, as long it is not listed as a weapon reserved only for use by the armed forces. This creates a lot of controversy as it is also illegal to carry firearms without a permit. We always hear stories of folks getting caught bringing a gun hidden under the seat or in the back of their camper.

The question comes down to not if you can legally have a gun in your home but how do you get it there?

If you are a legal resident in Mexico you go to the local military base and begin the process. They will interview you, do a background check and then once approved, allow you to buy a permitted firearm from them and then give you a 1 day permit to take that firearm back to your home. With that comes the clear restriction that the weapon must remain there under your responsibility. If the firearm is ever stolen you must make an immediate report to the police and the military of its loss and the circumstances.

While it is not an answer for tourists nor an easy process, it is worth doing IMHO, if you live down here full time...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-23-13, 01:00 PM   #18
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Baja Gringo
The question comes down to not if you can legally have a gun in your home but how do you get it there?
We had a meeting with our local police 2-3 months ago & I asked that very question.....you get all the legal & licensing crap out of the way & a person who IS authorized to carry in public delivers the weapon to your home. It's only legal inside your casa....don't be shooting someone as they flee your premises or your yard; they have to be physically inside your home for a gun to be legally used. It's NOT legal if they're just on your property or inside your perimeter wall, but outside of your home itself.

HEY!!!!! Who stole the font style/size/color selection functionality??? Also, bold & italics aren't working either!! DAMN!!!!! How do you expect ME to post with NO emoticons?? You're really taxing my brain cells to remember viable coding!! I expect a standing ovation....at minimum....for remembering the coding to have my post LOOK like MY post!!

Hmmmmm....the site logo's AWOL, too!!

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 10-23-13 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-23-13, 01:25 PM   #19
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
We had a meeting with our local police 2-3 months ago & I asked that very question.....you get all the legal & licensing crap out of the way & a person who IS authorized to carry in public delivers the weapon to your home. It's only legal inside your casa....don't be shooting someone as they flee your premises or your yard; they have to be physically inside your home for a gun to be legally used. It's NOT legal if they're just on your property or inside your perimeter wall, but outside of your home itself.
Here they give you a one day carry permit - you might want to talk to someone from the military as they are the ones who issue and control weapons, not the police. As far as the bit about being inside your home in lieu of inside your perimeter wall, I was told the exact opposite here by both the police and military. In fact the cops even told me that if you shoot them outside the fence, just drag their ass back inside your gate before you call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
HEY!!!!! Who stole the font style/size/color selection functionality??? Also, bold & italics aren't working either!! DAMN!!!!! How do you expect ME to post with NO emoticons?? You're really taxing my brain cells to remember viable coding!! I expect a standing ovation....at minimum....for remembering the coding to have my post LOOK like MY post!!

Hmmmmm....the site logo's AWOL, too!!
You may not see all the formatting icons if you edit your post, if you want to get all the edit functions click on advanced edit when you open the edit window.

Not sure about the site logo - it's up for me???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-23-13, 01:37 PM   #20
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo

You tuck it into that new TV set you paid fifty bucks to import.