General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 06-09-13, 10:45 AM   #1
DebMer

DebMer is on a distinguished road

Default Permaculture and organics in Baja?

Are there areas in which clean agricultural practices are popular? If so, does it tend to be a Gringo thing, or are Mexicans into this, too?

What parts of Baja are best for small scale farming?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-13, 02:52 PM   #2
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Permaculture and organics in Baja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMer
Are there areas in which clean agricultural practices are popular? If so, does it tend to be a Gringo thing, or are Mexicans into this, too?

What parts of Baja are best for small scale farming?

Thanks!
Organic farming is here in Baja. There is a large organic operation in the Maneadero region, south of Ensenada. I also think that several of the wineries in the Guadalupe Valley grow organically.

I believe organic produce can be purchased at the Friday open air fair in Cantu and is also advertised in the Punta Banda Newsletter

Some of the vegetables (and fruit) grown organically here are sold in Trader Joe's stores.
Old 06-09-13, 06:03 PM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Google "Permaculture in Baja".....there's LOTS of information online.
Old 06-09-13, 08:58 PM   #4
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Organic farming is here in Baja. There is a large organic operation in the Maneadero region, south of Ensenada. I also think that several of the wineries in the Guadalupe Valley grow organically.

I believe organic produce can be purchased at the Friday open air fair in Cantu and is also advertised in the Punta Banda Newsletter

Some of the vegetables (and fruit) grown organically here are sold in Trader Joe's stores.
You'd be surprised how much produce is grown in the hills of Rosarito. Green onions, radishes, cilantro and tomatoes. Most is for export but some stays in town to supply the roadside taco stands and the farmer's market. I don't think it's organic though. Even so, it doesn't get much fresher and cheaper.

Last edited by Woooosh; 06-09-13 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 07:50 AM   #5
DebMer

Thanks, all, for the reply. I'm glad to hear there's at least some organic awareness and activity. It's one of my dreams to one day have a bit of land to have a couple of goats and chickens and to grow my own healthy stuff on.
Old 06-10-13, 09:33 AM   #6
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

Los Pinos has huge areas in San Quintin, miles and miles, a fantastic operation and updating constantly. They are also in the US
Old 06-10-13, 01:24 PM   #7
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks, all, for the reply. I'm glad to hear there's at least some organic awareness and activity. It's one of my dreams to one day have a bit of land to have a couple of goats and chickens and to grow my own healthy stuff on.
I know a grape grower and winery operator who grows his products organically, but cannot claim an organic product because the grower on the other side of the road uses chemical.
Old 06-10-13, 03:55 PM   #8
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
I know a grape grower and winery operator who grows his products organically, but cannot claim an organic product because the grower on the other side of the road uses chemical.
That's interesting and shows the wine region is serious about being world class. Proper labeling and disclosure is a strong start. Hopefully your organic friend can convince and teach the other growers how to do without them too.
Old 06-10-13, 05:15 PM   #9
DebMer

If I know and trust the farmer, certification is a non-issue to me. I kind of prefer uncertified organics, to be honest. Same product but you're not paying for the certification process.
Old 06-10-13, 08:10 PM   #10
Woooosh

Quote:
If I know and trust the farmer, certification is a non-issue to me. I kind of prefer uncertified organics, to be honest. Same product but you're not paying for the certification process.
I wonder what the certification process is in Baja?