Baja Obituaries Baja Travelers, Nomads, Pioneers, Friends and Family who have Passed...

Old 07-08-13, 09:42 AM   #1
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Bernie Swaim *-July 7, 2013

Just read on BajaNomad:

"It is my sad duty to report that Bernie passed away on Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 7:10PM.

A memorial will be announced at a later date..."

Old 07-08-13, 11:12 AM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Bernie Swain *-July 7, 2013

A very sad passing. RIP Bernie- you made Baja better place.
Old 07-08-13, 11:30 AM   #3
Doc Rey

Doc Rey is on a distinguished road

Unhappy Re: Bernie Swain *-July 7, 2013

Sounds like a very special person. Wish I could have met him. RIP.
Old 07-08-13, 11:45 AM   #4
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Unhappy Re: Bernie Swain *-July 7, 2013

Very sorry to hear that. I met him once a few years ago, and he seemed like a good guy. DEP, Bernie, and condolences to family and friends
Old 07-08-13, 11:59 AM   #5
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Now I can take Bernie's books out of the bathroom and put them in an honored place on my bookshelves. [Bernie would appreciate this. In our conversations, I often referred to his creations as "Bathroom Books"....so often that he started to call them that as well.]
The ol' man was/is one of a kind.

I'll miss him.
Old 07-08-13, 12:01 PM   #6
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

We all gotta go sometime, but it's sad nonetheless! Bernie was a unique individual.....whenever he gets wherever he's going, may there be a beautiful gal joyfully dancing in his honor*!!

When Bernie came to La Paz a few years ago, I went in 2-3 days & picked him up & drove him around to several non-touristy places.....right as we pulled into beautiful Balandra, a very attractive sweet young thang hopped out of the truck in the adjacent parking spot right next to Bernie's window & spontaneously began a joyous dance! Bernie was super impressed at the warm welcome I'd "arranged" for him! I sure hope he shared that story with Jaime!

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 07-08-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-08-13, 09:24 PM   #7
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Yes, very sad... read about Bernie's passing on Nomad.

Marty, enjoyed the video that you posted. I met Bernie only once, briefly, at one of Keri's book signings a few years ago.

RIP Bernie!
Old 07-08-13, 10:10 PM   #8
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Cristina and I had the great honor and pleasure to meet Bernie and Jaime at their home months back. I love his books and will have to take them out now for another read. You will be missed amigo. QEPD Bernie.

This pair of rainbows are for you amigo...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2XRainbow.jpg

Views:	27

Size:	1.11 MB

ID:	3644  

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 07-08-13, 11:14 PM   #9
Bob H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Cristina and I had the great honor and pleasure to meet Bernie and Jaime at their home months back. I love his books and will have to take them out now for another read. You will be missed amigo. QEPD Bernie.

This pair of rainbows are for you amigo...

Wow, How NICE!! Rainbows are for special people!
Old 07-11-13, 08:33 AM   #10
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Clearly a man who left positive impressions and memories with people.
Sounds like a life well lived.
Old 07-11-13, 04:46 PM   #11
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Posted on Baja Nomad, earlier...

Shortly after Bernie got onto Amigos de Baja (the popular Baja discussion forum before Nomad), M (Michelle) hosted the fourth of her 'BBBB' camp events. This was in Sept., 2002 at Cielito Lindo (San Quintin area). Bernie had just published his first book and attended after the slightest of nudging on my part ;) :

The first Pyramid Resort Booksigning Fiesta, May 2003:

Bernie Swaim, Larry Stanton, and 'J.R. Baja' at the first annual book signing
hosted by Keri of the Pyramid Resort.
Bernie was a big promoter of this idea, as well. Everyone had a great time!

The second Booksigning Fiesta, May 2004:

Bernie Swaim and fellow Baja Nomad, 'Herb' at the book signing. (http://www.caballeropublishing.com)

The third Booksigning Fiesta, April 2005:

'BajaNomad' (Doug and son Ryland), 'Cindarouh', and 'Baja Bernie' (author of 'Mi Baja No Hurry, No Worry' and 'Bouncing Around Baja') http://www.mibaja.com/

Booksigning #4, May 2006:

Publishing his third book this year, 'Baja Bernie' is a major supporter of the Pyramid book event.

Booksigning #5, May 2007:

'Jeans' mother Carol listens to a story by 'Baja Bernie'
author of three Baja books.
Bernie is a major supporter of the event and a really great guy!
See his books and more at http://www.mibaja.com/

Final Pyramid Resort Booksigning (#6), May 2008:

Author of 3 Baja books, Bernie Swaim ('Baja Bernie') gets animated with his story to Baja Angel. See Bernie's web site: http://www.mibaja.com/

Bernie gets a squeeze from Elizabeth.

Elizabeth and Audrey checking out Bernie's books. Bernie published a special booklet 'Bernie Talking Baja' which he gave to all Baja Nomads who came to the Pyramid Resort.
================================================================================ ============

Bernie's Books, autographs, and a poem that all will love:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bernie included the 'Number 1' because I was at his Santee home when he got the books from the printer... and together we opened the first case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On page 40, Bernie included a post of mine off Nomad, that applies well right now:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A POEM by Bernie Swaim (back cover of 'Bernie Talkin' Baja'):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A giant of a man, in person, in compassion, in kindness, and in spirit was and will always be Bernie Swaim...
Old 07-11-13, 08:35 PM   #12
Bob H

David! That was wonderful... thank you!!
Old 07-12-13, 12:29 PM   #13
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
David! That was wonderful... thank you!!
Very nice photo-essay on Bernie and his books...
Old 07-17-13, 10:56 AM   #14
BajaGirl87

BajaGirl87 is on a distinguished road

Bernie was my grandpa and I really appreciate all the kind words. He and my grandmother, LuAnn loved that placed and our family spent so much wonderful time there.

For anyone who is interested, a memorial will be held for him at the SDPD pistol range at

4008 Federal Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92114

It will be held on August 10th at 4 pm
Old 07-18-13, 06:30 PM   #15
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGirl87
Bernie was my grandpa and I really appreciate all the kind words. He and my grandmother, LuAnn loved that placed and our family spent so much wonderful time there.

For anyone who is interested, a memorial will be held for him at the SDPD pistol range at

4008 Federal Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92114

It will be held on August 10th at 4 pm
Thank you for posting and your grandpa was a GREAT man... I am honored to have been his friend the last 10 years. I knew your grandma too, as I visited them a few times in Santee and they both attended my Viva Baja party back in 2002. Do see the comments about Bernie over on Baja Nomad, as well... here: BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos"
Old 07-22-13, 09:09 PM   #16
Doc Rey

Doc Rey is on a distinguished road

Smile Re: Bernie Swain *-July 7, 2013

Just finished first of his 3 books. What a human Baja treasure he was.
These books are sure to help me convince family & friends on a Baja trip. Thanks Jaime.
Old 07-27-13, 06:12 AM   #17
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bernie was my grandpa and I really appreciate all the kind words...
Mi más sentido pésame, and if we may borrow that pic you posted on BajaNomad...

Looks like he means business, doesn't he?
Attached Images

Old 08-01-13, 12:56 PM   #18
BajaGirl87

BajaGirl87 is on a distinguished road

It's a big disappointment and shame that Jaime is trying to keep myself and all of my family from attending the memorial on August 10th. For someone who claims to be a family person, this is truly sick.
Old 08-01-13, 04:05 PM   #19
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's a big disappointment and shame that Jaime is trying to keep myself and all of my family from attending the memorial on August 10th. For someone who claims to be a family person, this is truly sick.

And what does this mean???
Old 08-01-13, 09:24 PM   #20
Baja Bernies wife Jaime

Baja Bernies wife Jaime is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
This is Bernies wife Jaime. Yes, we are having a Memorial for Bernie at the san diego police pistol range on august 10th, between 4 and 7. I am asking for rsvps so I will know how much food to provide. (1 619 770 8899 ) or email bernieswaim@cox.net
the address is 4008 Federal Blvd, San Diego.
Looks like we will have a good turnout, I can't wait for the stories...we can all share.
Bernie was loved by so many, a mentor, and I loved our trips to Baja, specially Ascension, whale watching with the best......SHARI..... and fishing for world records with her husband Juan ....a top notch fisherman. the life long friends we met at Shari and Juan's home.... including them.... are a credit to who they are.
Bernie loved Baja, if only for one night, to get some of the dust under his belt. One time, after open heart surgery, I remember reading something he wrote. It was the doctors just found Baja dust in him, and cleaned it out...so he was ready to head back to fill it up again!
Bernie would always take the time to just stop, sit and share with ...anyone! He was an amazing man. I am the luckiest woman on earth for the 5 years we were together. I wish it were more, but he was so sick......Baja was calling......he had to answer! So, next time you get stuck in the sand in Baja, know Bernie is watching over you......
Bernie fit a lifetime into our 5 years. He touched many more than any of us will ever know..........
Thank all of you for the beautiful comments.
Jaime!