Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 07-17-13, 10:56 AM   #1
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

Default Ready Lanes worth the trip?

Since it seems I won't be getting a SENTRI pass, I went ahead and ordered one of the Passport Cards so I can use the ready lanes to cross north. Are these ever much faster than the regular lanes at San Ysidiro, Otay mesa or Calexico?

Is it generally worth a trip to the Calexico east crossing to get to the ready lane over there, vs just crossing at the normal Calexico border check?

I guess in general I need to research how to get to the proper lane before I go down again, so that I dont wind up being cut off from using the ready lanes, or are they clearly marked at the border and hard to get cut off from?

-Roger
Old 07-17-13, 06:41 PM   #2
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Ready Lanes worth the trip?

These are great questions... I am in the process of applying for the passport card also. And, I think everyone in your vehicle must have a passport card, or you would have to drop them off, let them walk across, and then pick them up on the other side.

I also would like to have directions to get into the ready lanes at Otay from the 2000 highway coming in from Ensenada...?
Old 08-05-13, 04:24 PM   #3
Uzun

Got my passport card! I'm good to go for the fast lane...except I hear the card lane is about the same as all the others...
Old 08-05-13, 05:03 PM   #4
Uzun

The viability of the ready lanes was on the cbp site all along.

From - Expansion of Hours for Otay Mesa Ready Lane - CBP.gov

At the Otay Mesa port of entry, 48 percent of all vehicle traffic uses the Ready Lanes, and 21 percent use the SENTRI lanes. The Ready Lanes are about 19 percent faster than the general lanes. In essence, travelers utilizing the Ready Lane will experience a shorter wait time.

At the Port of San Ysidro, 26 percent of all vehicle traffic use the Ready Lanes, 39 percent use the SENTRI lanes. The Ready Lanes are about 20 percent faster than the general lanes.

-Roger
Old 08-05-13, 05:50 PM   #5
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
he viability of the ready lanes was on the cbp site all along.
Don't believe a word they say. They aren't your friend.