Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 08-22-13, 03:11 PM   #1
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default "What Keeps You From Visiting Mexico?" KGTV and SDUT Poll.

A new survey of San Diego County residents reports that more than half of respondents had not crossed into Mexico for at least a year–and one fifth had never entered the country at all.

The main reason: concerns about safety south of the border.

The 750 adult participants were selected at random and interviewed by telephone on Tuesday and Wednesday by SurveyUSA, a New Jersey-based polling company. U-T San Diego and KGTV-Channel 10 commissioned the survey.

The 20 percent of respondents who had never traveled to Mexico and the 76 percent of border-crossers who said they are doing so less often cited a range of reasons for staying away.

These included lack of proper documents to return to the United States and the hassle of interacting with U.S. Customs and Border Protection inspectors.

But worries about safety were by far the greatest deterrent, both for people who reported crossing less frequently and those who had never done so, the survey showed.

Among the respondents who had never crossed, 59 percent cited safety concerns, with their No. 1 issue being fear of gangs (29 percent), followed by corrupt officials (23 percent) and drugs (20 percent).

Among the 76 percent of respondents who said they were crossing less often, 54 percent said safety was their main concern, with fear of gangs cited as the main reason (29 percent), trailed closely by corrupt officials (28 percent) and drugs (18 percent).

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...-cross-Mexico/
Old 08-22-13, 03:27 PM   #2
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

Default Re: "What Keeps You From Visiting Mexico?" KGTV and SDUT Poll.

they called me on my cellphone for this survey. Was a pretty long one, but I stuck it out!
Old 08-22-13, 04:42 PM   #3
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
they called me on my cellphone for this survey. Was a pretty long one, but I stuck it out!
Did you think they were leading you one way or the other or were they very neutral?
Old 08-24-13, 08:54 AM   #4
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

If I were asked why I don't go to Mexico as much as before, my reasons would be:

1) U.S. Economy bad: I have less income so fewer vacations.

2) U.S. Border Wait: The only negative part of a Mexico vacation is the return to my own country.

I have never had a bad experience with crime in Mexico, dating back to 1965. My few interactions with Mexican police seeking cash have always been fun and made good stories to tell later.

What scares me most is crime where I live in America... where I could by jogging and get shot in the back by bored youth or for some gang initiation.

If those interviewed are not afraid to go outside their American homes, then they sure have nothing more to fear in Mexico! Sure crime happens in Mexico. The host of this site was a victim. Bad things can happen anywhere. Don't let fear keep you from enjoying life and going where you are happy. For me, that would be Baja California!
Old 08-24-13, 09:22 AM   #5
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
If I were asked why I don't go to Mexico as much as before, my reasons would be:

2) U.S. Border Wait: The only negative part of a Mexico vacation is the return to my own country.

With all of your trips to Baja, why don't you get SENTRI???? It would be cost/time effective.
Old 08-24-13, 09:31 AM   #6
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

For "sure" ....
Old 08-24-13, 09:57 AM   #7
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K

1) U.S. Economy bad: I have less income so fewer vacations.

I have never had a bad experience with crime in Mexico, dating back to 1965. My few interactions with Mexican police seeking cash have always been fun and made good stories to tell later.

What scares me most is crime where I live in America... where I could by jogging and get shot in the back by bored youth or for some gang initiation.

If those interviewed are not afraid to go outside their American homes, then they sure have nothing more to fear in Mexico! Sure crime happens in Mexico. The host of this site was a victim. Bad things can happen anywhere. Don't let fear keep you from enjoying life and going where you are happy. For me, that would be Baja California!
Unfortunately the crime in Baja happens mostly at night and in the shadows around us- even if it doesn't ever directly affect us or tourists on day trips. A poll like this measures what a poll measures and if border wait times weren't mentioned- I'd say that's a serious problem with the poll. That's why I was asking if the survey came across as nuetral- or leading.

The US State Department met with Hugo Torres of the Baja Image Committee last week who relented the current crime rate rivals that of "the worst years". Unlike the last crime wave- no one is denying it this time around. A security plan is being developed to address the concerns for Americans safety in Baja. Obviously if you live here full time there is a different set of security challenges than if you are a toursit on a day trip.

Tourists who exercise good sitatuional awareness skills and travel in the tourist areas during daylight should have no problems- just like David K on his most-excellent adventures. Narcos own the night.
Old 08-24-13, 10:52 AM   #8
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
The US State Department met with Hugo Torres of the Baja Image Committee last week who relented the current crime rate rivals that of "the worst years".
For Hugo to say that, the situation must be bad.

Quote:
Tourists who exercise good sitatuional awareness skills and travel in the tourist areas during daylight should have no problems- just like David K on his most-excellent adventures. Narcos own the night.
They also used to "own" the toll road.....around the clock, and the horror stories are still fresh and warm.
There are no reasonable assurances to your claim of safe times and places, Craig. You seem to be repeating an Image Committee mantra that has no basis in fact. It negates a need for vigilance and throws caution to the wind in support of tourism.
Old 08-24-13, 11:51 AM   #9
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
For Hugo to say that, the situation must be bad.
They also used to "own" the toll road.....around the clock, and the horror stories are still fresh and warm.
There are no reasonable assurances to your claim of safe times and places, Craig. You seem to be repeating an Image Committee mantra that has no basis in fact. It negates a need for vigilance and throws caution to the wind in support of tourism.
Well Dennis, I am just re-stating the US State Department Travel Warning. It has little to do with the security situation you and I face as expats living here. It's true the crime numbers are horrible and are trending worse- much worse. Body parts in plastic bags again- but so far they aren't terrorizing tourists on the TJ to Ensenada toll road.

My take on the current crime wave is this: It's a different dynamic than last time. The last time it was inter-gang fighting and the most vicious of public displays with El Teo and his Pozolero(Gulf Cartel Sinaloans) taking on the CAF (Cartel Arellano Felix) for territory. This time its all CAF drug stash houses throughout Baja being protected by the Mexican Military with Police complicit at the local drug sales levels. It isn't as violent on the surface but it's more dangerous to maintaining peace and public safety/security. JMHO of course.

The Baja Image Committee knows it can take the next year off- the current image is way better than the reality. Instead of denying the crime wave this time around- Hugo Torres has been encouraged by the US State Department to accept and help plan the new mayor plan for it. That in itself is a huge step for both sides.

Do I think tourists can follow the travel warning and have a safe day trip to Rosarito or Ensenada? Sure. I did mention to keep your head up and maintain situational awareness when in Baja (vigilance). I've never said tourists shouldn't come to Baja- I've said everyone has their own safety comfort levels and it's an individual decision.

There has never been much common ground between me and the Baja Image Committee. If they are honest and realistic this time around- that could change.

Last edited by Woooosh; 08-24-13 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-24-13, 12:11 PM   #10
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Well..OK. I'll buy that. You had me worried for a minute there. Thought we lost you to a wine appreciation club, or something like that.
Old 08-24-13, 12:33 PM   #11
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Well..OK. I'll buy that. You had me worried for a minute there. Thought we lost you to a wine appreciation club, or something like that.
I don't think you need to worry about me giving up on speaking my mind in this lifetime. Truthfully, if the image of Baja was presented to me accurately 7 years ago I probably wouldn't have moved here. My Mexican family is far less pleased with Rosarito Beach than even I am. We have a beautiful home and great Mexican neighbors, but it wasn't enough to overcome the considerable obstacles we face- so my purpose became education. Investors need information on how to get a fair shake in a land system that is corrupt and unresponsive to the written law. It's strange how obviously incompatible corruption and cronyism is to attracting investors, but they don't see it. They think Americans don't need a level playing field to invest money and they are wrong.
Old 08-24-13, 03:53 PM   #12
wessongroup

How about "painting" ...
Old 08-24-13, 04:55 PM   #13
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
How about "painting" ...
Does house painting count? I have plenty of that to watch get done.
Old 08-24-13, 05:46 PM   #14
wessongroup

Can't wait for that "video" .... Say, maybe a home improvement show, for channel 154
Old 08-24-13, 05:58 PM   #15
Woooosh

Quote:
Can't wait for that "video" .... Say, maybe a home improvement show, for channel 154
A home improvement show in México... now that's funny.
Old 08-24-13, 07:17 PM   #16
wessongroup

How could the "channel" be against "Home Improvement"

And to think, the new mayor lives just down the street .... now isn't that something

Seem's like a win, win to me ....

Making Rosarito "beautiful" right here in down town ... don't you think so Mr. Mayor ? ...

Of course "he" would be at the "filming" of the the "First Show" ... at your home, right down the from "his" ...

Just an average Mexican Family ... (here's your chance to rope in all your relatives for the free labor on the house paint job) beatutfing their home, all "working together" as a team .... boy, what a media shot for the Mayor

Exposure to his constitutents ... and a chance to show how quickly his administration is effecting positive change the "perception" of Baja and Rosarito, right out of the box ....

Like the current colors .... but, working in the Country's Flag's colors might not be bad either .... HUH

Hell I'm sure there are a few here that have a few really good ideas and talents ... plus it would be fun

btw, always have three talking points when on TV and/or "mic" is on ... ........

imagine the mayor would just love a great platform to get his message across from, and on a positive note at the same time ...

Have fun ...
Old 08-24-13, 08:25 PM   #17
Woooosh

Quote:
How could the "channel" be against "Home Improvement"

And to think, the new mayor lives just down the street .... now isn't that something

Seem's like a win, win to me ....

Making Rosarito "beautiful" right here in down town ... don't you think so Mr. Mayor ? ...

Of course "he" would be at the "filming" of the the "First Show" ... at your home, right down the from "his" ...

Just an average Mexican Family ... (here's your chance to rope in all your relatives for the free labor on the house paint job) beatutfing their home, all "working together" as a team .... boy, what a media shot for the Mayor

Exposure to his constitutents ... and a chance to show how quickly his administration is effecting positive change the "perception" of Baja and Rosarito, right out of the box ....

Like the current colors .... but, working in the Country's Flag's colors might not be bad either .... HUH

Hell I'm sure there are a few here that have a few really good ideas and talents ... plus it would be fun

btw, always have three talking points when on TV and/or "mic" is on ... ........

imagine the mayor would just love a great platform to get his message across from, and on a positive note at the same time ...

Have fun ...
My Mexican family loves to watch the US home improvement shows that are dubbed in Spanish but I don't think they see a real application- it's entertainment not education. Besides, YouTube has a video for everything and every project.

Now I could do a series on local pest extermination. That would be fascinating.
Old 08-26-13, 03:53 PM   #18
Uzun

It was a recording, it seemed pretty neutral. I said I have crossed recently, do not cross as much as I used to, and it's mostly due to concerns over safety. It's a fairly common sentiment here in the San Diego area.
Old 08-26-13, 03:56 PM   #19
Uzun

You can get shot by a bored youth in San Diego, but that's very unlikely and they won't get away with it. Chance of prosecuting a murder case in San Diego is very high. Terrible things happen all over, even in good areas but the likelihood is low. You do not have to avoid reporting things to the police for the most part here, and crime is not well tolerated in most areas of the county. Routine criminal activity is more embedded into the civic framework of society in some parts of Mexico, and it seems to have gotten much worse in the past 20 - 30 years.
Old 08-26-13, 05:13 PM   #20
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
You can get shot by a bored youth in San Diego, but that's very unlikely and they won't get away with it. Chance of prosecuting a murder case in San Diego is very high. Terrible things happen all over, even in good areas but the likelihood is low. You do not have to avoid reporting things to the police for the most part here, and crime is not well tolerated in most areas of the county. Routine criminal activity is more embedded into the civic framework of society in some parts of Mexico, and it seems to have gotten much worse in the past 20 - 30 years.
Agree with this... but outside of the Wild Animal Park's Condor Ridge, I just enjoy being where boojum trees grow, and that isn't in San Diego!