General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 08-23-13, 01:47 PM   #1
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Default TS IVO

Looks like TS IVO is moving north along the Pacific coast of Baja Sur.

Can any Baja Sur members provide wind speed and rain amounts???

If IVO continues on it's projected path San Quintin, Ensenada and possibly San Felipe could get (real) wet:

Tropical Storm IVO

Now is a good time to review your personal emergency plans and make sure that your emergency supplies are in order.
Old 08-23-13, 01:52 PM   #2
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: TS IVO

Just sudden got strong wind gusts.....okay, okay, maybe 30-35 mph! Strong compared to our previous calm! And horrendous sideways rain for about 10 minutes.....wind backed off to lesser gusts & rain is falling more or less straight. For the moment!

My dogs are both telling me something's happening outside & they don't like it!!!!

PS: My personal emergency plan is sitting in my car in the garage & reading by my dome light, but only if I lose power! Center of storm is too far South & West of us to hit La Paz very hard....unless of course, it hangs a hard right!
Old 08-23-13, 02:00 PM   #3
Teniente

Leggs..........thanks for the info.

At least you have a plan....not a very good one, but still a plan....LOL. I'll have to send you some battery and solar powered LED lights. No use in running down your car battery. Maybe you need a Kindle Fire!!!

The forcast looks like 35mph +/- winds

Please keep us posted

Thanks!!!!!
Old 08-23-13, 02:06 PM   #4
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

My dog has been stuck to me like glue for the past hour. I went out on the back patio to look at the sky, and he rammed his head between my legs from behind and stayed there. I'm about to take his mind off his troubles with a swim/play session in our pool.

Drops just started falling in central La Paz, and the wind has kicked up with strong gusts. Feels good compared to this morning's mugginess.

Centro de Salud just fumigated everybody's exterior this a.m. because there's a case of dengue on the block. If it rains hard, all the stuff will wash off!

Oh yeah, da plan! I've got plenty of drinking water, ice, recharged flashlight, batteries, and candles. Lots of snacks: canned tuna, chips, dog food, etc. Mi casa is well protected by high walls and on a street with good drainage.

Last edited by kate; 08-23-13 at 02:15 PM. Reason: forgot the plan
Old 08-23-13, 02:14 PM   #5
Teniente

FYI.............

Two similar thread on the BN board with varied reports:

BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos"

BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos"
Old 08-23-13, 02:50 PM   #6
longlegsinlapaz

The NWS National Hurricane Center just made most of Baja Sur a Tropical Storm warning area per EEBMIKE.....BOTH sides of the Peninsula! Too little too late, (Wait! Let me go out & check the sky!) rain has completely stopped here in El Centenario! For the time being! We really coulda used a little more rain than we got!

I'm also stocked up on food; human, dog, cat & bird; candles, iced tea & my cell is fully charged....car's got A/C to ease mugginess & a nearly full tank....and yes, Teniente, my garage has large ventilation blocks around the upper walls....I couldn't asphyxiate myself out there if I wanted to!!
Old 08-23-13, 03:21 PM   #7
longlegsinlapaz

Uhhhhhhhhhh. Teniente, if I could please increase my guesstimate of windspeed??? Maybe 50 MPH gusts? This pot & cactus weights well over 150 pounds! It's never blown over before & I've raised it from a little sprout less than 6" tall! Oh hell!! It looks like I'll have a flat-sided plant with lots of volunteer starts to share!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	August 23, 2013 (3).jpg

Views:	15

Size:	1.54 MB

ID:	3669   Click image for larger version

Name:	August 23, 2013 (4).jpg

Views:	17

Size:	1.47 MB

ID:	3670  
Old 08-23-13, 03:51 PM   #8
rts551

rts551 is on a distinguished road

Legs, that must have been a good gust to do that. More than they predicted. Be safe. Now I am a little more worried about our side, although the colder water aught to slow it down some..
Old 08-23-13, 03:52 PM   #9
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Make sure you put some rocks in your pockets! At least THAT pot didn't break. We're hoping for rain up here- but it doesn't look that way with the storm turning.
Old 08-23-13, 06:01 PM   #10
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Ummmm, that cactus looks top-heavy for the pot to me. Sign me up for a couple of volunteer starts, though!
Bouli and I had a very wet swim.
Old 08-24-13, 03:55 PM   #11
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Say, what's "Bing's" weight up to ...
Old 08-24-13, 09:12 PM   #12
longlegsinlapaz

He's actually down to his summer heat weight of 9 pounds....too hot to chase jack rabbits! He got the short end of the stick, or maybe his opponent looked worse than him!! I dunno, he refused to discuss it! I assume it was an encounter with another cat, but he stuck pretty close to home while his wounds were fresh! I slathered Neosporin on his nose & thankfully he didn't get infected, so I saved in vet bills! Temporary nickname is Scarface, but it looks like the long scratch scar may be nearly invisible once his fur totally covers the scar, no scar on the end of his nose! Little Numbskull!

And just to keep this from being a total thread hijack .....no wind to speak of & no more rain today....! Unfortunately, there's already a new storm formed in Ivo's vapor tail!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OWIE!  July 15, 2013 (1).jpg

Views:	14

Size:	1.48 MB

ID:	3674  
Old 08-24-13, 10:18 PM   #13
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing ... He's quite a the cat ... has turned native on ya ... hope he doesn't get a "patch" over one of his eye's

Speaking of eyes .... his don't appear to have lost "anything" at all ...

He does look a little "down" in size ... I'm sure mom will make it all better

Hey ... a patch and a scar, he could be a pirate

and the wind was blowing softly outside this afternoon .... very comfortable .... no smoke from fires, YET

14 year drought ain't to cool, if ya know what I mean ..... just saying

Last edited by wessongroup; 08-24-13 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 07:57 AM   #14
Teniente

Anybody from Loreto or Mulege?????

Hey, Ron.....how does it look in your area (San Quintin)????
Old 08-25-13, 08:32 AM   #15
rts551

rts551 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Anybody from Loreto or Mulege?????

Hey, Ron.....how does it look in your area (San Quintin)????
some ews from Loreto area

¡Hay emergencia en Loreto! | Vizcainohoy
Old 08-25-13, 08:55 AM   #16
Teniente

From Shari on BN (edited):

Asuncion is getting the snot kicked out of it...it rained hard most of the night.

....as expected roads are washed out, lots of flooding and arroyos running...it's still pi$$ing down rain hard and blowing about 25-30 knots...seems like we're in the thick of it right now still...

...looks like the beast is heading over land instead of out to sea...GN will get hammered and it floods badly there as it is so low.....

Another message from Muelege reports a total of 4 1/2 inches of rain

Last edited by Teniente; 08-25-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 10:35 AM   #17
Woooosh

Loreto, B.C.S.- Desde las cuatro de la tarde de hoy comenzaron a correr los arroyos con agua proveniente de la sierra, con un importante caudal de las lluvias de la tormenta tropical IVO. Sin embargo ahora la situación se ha tornado peligrosa en las orillas de la Capital de las Californias debido a la crecida del arroyo conocido como San Telmo.

De acuerdo a información exclusiva de ZONA CONCHÓ existe peligro de inundación de la colonia Zaragoza (ver foto), donde no se esperaba un caudal tan abundante.

Hace unos momentos, residentes de la localidad se comunicaron vía telefónica a la redacción de Colectivo Pericú debido a que se teme que de un momento a otro ocurra un desbordamiento e inundación de la colonia Zaragoza.

Nos mencionan que protección civil de Loreto está evaluando en estos momentos 8:30, si evacúa la colonia, aunque con maquinaria pesada se levantó el bordo un poco más.

Pero de continuar las lluvias en la Sierra de la Giganta al mismo ritmo, todo parece indicar que habrá desbordamiento de ese arroyo.

El paso de la carretera Transpeninsular se encuentra cortado en el acceso sur a Loreto.

http://colectivopericu.net/2013/08/2...to/#more-51190

Loreto, B.C.S.- Since 4PM yesterday the arroyos started to run with water from the mountains, with a significant flow from the rains from tropical storm IVO. However, now the situation has become dangerous around the edges of the city due to the rising waters in the San Telmo arroyo.

According to exclusive information from the Conchó area there is danger of flooding in colonia Zaragoza, where such a high water flow was not anticipated.

A few moments ago, residents of the local communicated via telephone to the office of Colectivo Pericú as the fear that at any moment the arroyo will overflow and flood colonia Zaragoza.

They told us that Loreto civil protection is evaluation the situation now, at 8:30PM, to see if the colonia should be evacuated, although heavy equipment is raising the banks a little more.

But, if the rains continue in the Sierra de la Giganta at the same rate, all indications are that the arroyo will overflow.

The Transpenisular Highway is cut-off at the access south of Loreto.
[/quote]
Old 08-25-13, 01:35 PM   #18
longlegsinlapaz

DANG!!! Those of us down south got off easy, but Ivo moved closer to land on it's way north! Looks like those further north are getting the rains & flooding. And sad to say, the next storm that's formed behind Ivo has gone from 10% to 40% within the last 24 hours! Me thinks we're all in for a good lambasting this hurricane season! I'd better stock the car with snacks & books!

Batten down & stay safe everyone!
Old 08-25-13, 01:56 PM   #19
Woooosh

La Paz, Baja California Sur (BCS). Unas 200 casas inundadas y 400 personas desalojadas es el saldo hasta el momento de la ahora depresión tropical Ivo que afectó durante la noche del sábado y madrugada de este domingo al municipio de Loreto, al norte de Baja California Sur.

Según reportan autoridades de Protección Civil del estado y municipales, la corrida del arroyo San Telmo provocó el desalojo preventivo de unas 400 personas de las colonias Obrera, Palmeiras y Zaragoza del norteño municipio de Loreto.

http://www.octavodia.mx/articulo/443...a-400-personas

La Paz, Baja California Sur - Some 200 homes flooded and 400 people evacuated is the total as of the moment for tropical depression Ivo that has affected Loreto, at the northern part of Baja California Sur, during Saturday night and early Sunday morning.

According to reports from authorities from state and municipal Civil Protection, the current in the San Telmo arroyo caused the preventative evacuation of some 400 people from colonias Obrera, Palmeiras and Zaragoza in Loreto.
Old 08-25-13, 02:34 PM   #20
longlegsinlapaz

Sounds like Ivo's stalling, but if it's got more rain to dump, it's gonna get dumped right where it's at! I remember when Hurricane Marty stalled right over La Paz (3-4 days if memory serves!) BEWARE!

The 2 PM update from EEBMIKE:

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP092013
200 PM PDT SUN AUG 25 2013

IVO HAS BECOME A LARGE SWIRL OF LOW- TO MID-LEVEL CLOUDS WITH SOME
WEAK SHOWER ACTIVITY LOCATED WELL TO THE NORTH OF THE CENTER.
THE SYSTEM HAS LACKED ORGANIZED DEEP CONVECTION FOR ABOUT 12
HOURS...AND IS OVER SSTS OF AROUND 20 DEGREES CELSIUS. AS A
RESULT...ORGANIZED DEEP CONVECTION IS NOT EXPECTED TO RETURN...AND
IVO IS BEING DECLARED A REMNANT LOW. THIS WILL BE THE LAST NHC
ADVISORY ON THIS SYSTEM. THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS LOWERED TO 25 KT
AND IS IN AGREEMENT WITH A RECENT PARTIAL ASCAT-B OVERPASS.

THE INITIAL MOTION IS 340/7 KT. THE REMNANT LOW SHOULD SLOW DOWN
AND BECOME NEARLY STATIONARY DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO. THE MODEL
GUIDANCE IS IN GOOD AGREEMENT ON THIS SCENARIO...AND THE UPDATED
TRACK FORECAST IS CLOSE TO THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY.

MOISTURE FROM THIS SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE TO SPREAD
NORTHWARD ACROSS THE THE NORTHERN PORTION OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA...NORTHWESTERN MEXICO...AND THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED
STATES DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. THESE RAINS COULD PRODUCE
FLASH FLOODING IN THESE AREAS.