General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 09-24-13, 01:43 PM   #1
sargentodiaz

sargentodiaz is on a distinguished road

Default The King's Highway

[This is not really Baja-related but I hope you won't slap my hand for posting this here]

Book Two of Father Serra's Legacy to be released October 8, 2013 by Bluewood Publishing

Timothy and Jaime follow Father Serra in his efforts to found nine missions in California between San Diego and San Francisco. The determined friar struggles to overcome interference by the Spanish governor and lack of support from the viceroy. The California natives flock to the missions, not only by the better life they provide but due to the loving care they receive from the friars. The two join the hundreds of mourners when, at last, the frail priest succumbs. But, all know that Father Serra's quest will continue.

The novel will be available at Bluewoodpublishing.com as well as Amazon.com and other online publishers in both paperback and e-book format.
Old 09-25-13, 01:50 PM   #2
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb Re: The King's Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz
[This is not really Baja-related but I hope you won't slap my hand for posting this here]

Book Two of Father Serra's Legacy to be released October 8, 2013 by Bluewood Publishing

Timothy and Jaime follow Father Serra in his efforts to found nine missions in California between San Diego and San Francisco. The determined friar struggles to overcome interference by the Spanish governor and lack of support from the viceroy. The California natives flock to the missions, not only by the better life they provide but due to the loving care they receive from the friars. The two join the hundreds of mourners when, at last, the frail priest succumbs. But, all know that Father Serra's quest will continue.

The novel will be available at Bluewoodpublishing.com as well as Amazon.com and other online publishers in both paperback and e-book format.

In a way it is very 'Baja-related'...

The 'King's Highway' or El Camino Real (of California) begins in Loreto.
Fr. Junipero Serra begins his trip to San Diego and Monterey in Loreto.
This land was all 'California' officially... Baja California wasn't created as a separate political district until 1804.
I think you are good Dale! ;)
Old 09-25-13, 03:01 PM   #3
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The King's Highway

The e-book format and similar options are amazing. It allows everyone to publish. It's surprising we are still learning more about Father Serra after all these years and people like David K still enjoy sharing it all. Very cool. Thanks.
Old 09-28-13, 11:26 AM   #4
sargentodiaz

sargentodiaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The King's Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
The e-book format and similar options are amazing. It allows everyone to publish. It's surprising we are still learning more about Father Serra after all these years and people like David K still enjoy sharing it all. Very cool. Thanks.
David is very well versed in the missions.

I wrote these as historical fiction to allow readers to view it through the eyes of two different characters, an English youth marooned in a strange new land with people unlike he ever knew before and a Mexican Cahita Indian losing all he knew to Smallpox. Both become involved with the Franciscan friars and journey with them to explore new lands, meet new people, and overcome obstacles to assist Father Serra in founding missions to help the Stone Age California Indians gain a better life.

Book Three, The Missions Bloom, will share the experience of seeing Father Serra's goals completed and a flourishing environment where the missions provide just about anything needed for 18th and 19th Century civilization.

Book Four, The Missions Wither [which I am still struggling to complete] talks about the changed when Mexico gains its independence and the missions are "secularized". It is probably the darkest period of California history and that's why I'm having so much trouble with it.

Anyhow, check out my blog and you'll see all sorts of stuff about the characters and tidbits of California history.