Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 10-13-13, 03:16 PM   #1
Apgoee

Apgoee is on a distinguished road

Default Apogee

Hi all,
I am new to the forum.I have a small boat and I like to fish. Being that I am now in my Autumn years (and still working) I still like boating and fishing. One of the places I have had many a good experience is the Baja. I know the place can wear a guy out, but if done correctly it is a bunch of fun. My interests in this forum are to provide Baja information where I can and to find others that would like to organize an occasional trip down the Baja buddy boating. I have a VHF and an EPIRB but for some reason the Mexicans are not in too big of a hurry to come pull your biscuits out of the fire during a problem one may encounter while fishing the Baja. Sad but true. I keep my boat in ship shape and do my best to prevent all foreseeable problems while out on that big ocean, but, problems do and will happen from time to time.That is why I would like to team up on occasion. I am all ears for the like thinkers. I have fished the Baja for decades so I am not a newbie. Thanks for listening all and I hope to hear about your adventures past and to come.............Apogee
Old 10-13-13, 04:08 PM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Apogee

to the Talk Baja Apogee! I'm sure you'll find someone to buddy-up with for some local fishing. What a great idea.
Old 10-13-13, 06:21 PM   #3
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Welcome! You might enjoy some interaction on BajaNomad.com (has a fishing and hunting forum) and I imagine you already know about Bloody Decks message board?

Caught my first dorado off Cabo in 1966... I was just a little kid, but the thrill of the adventure of just getting to Cabo (by road from Tijuana) in those years had more of an effect on me then the great fishing.
Old 10-13-13, 06:38 PM   #4
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

For an emergency response in Baja or almost anywhere, get a SPOT:

New SPOT International Landing Page

I wouldn't go out on the water or away from home without one.
Old 10-14-13, 10:38 AM   #5
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

My experience here is that the locals are quite good at "pulling your biscuits out of a fire" when one runs into a problem out on the water. The first thing you have to do is to make sure you have a strong radio, verify which channel(s) the local fishermen are using and to speak Spanish. I have personally witnessed and been involved with several such rescues as far out as 40 miles.

My advice is to network with some of the local fishermen before you head out and make a connection. If you don't speak fluent Spanish, pay the money to hire a local captain to handle the helm.

Besides giving you an added measure of safety, he knows exactly where the fish are biting...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-18-13, 08:42 PM   #6
kboy24

kboy24 is on a distinguished road

Welcome. You're going to have many great adventures here. Just be cool and careful...