Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 02-08-14, 04:31 PM   #1
pauldavidmena

pauldavidmena is on a distinguished road

Default Warm Greetings from Chilly New England!

I'm another Baja wannabee, an empty nester in his mid-fifties finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel with regard to a long career in IT. A few years ago we fell in love with Todos Santos, BCS, and have tried to visit as often as we could. More recently we've gotten quite serious, looking at property and starting to ask the tough questions about life in Mexico. I'm hoping to glean some wisdom from those who've already faced the same decision I'll have in a few years.
Old 02-08-14, 04:43 PM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Warm Greetings from Chilly New England!

Hi There; thanks for joining.

I know of at least two posters @ BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos" who live there: monoloco and tiotomasbcs. For sure there are others as well.

I bet if you put up a post there you'd get some good info. Can't recall anyone who posts here regularly who lives there.

We have a few frisky women who live in La Paz.
Old 02-08-14, 05:03 PM   #3
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul........nice to see you over here.
Old 02-08-14, 08:37 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Welcome Paul.

Feel free to ask any questions about visa/income requirements, how to buy property in Baja / Mexico or any other questions you might have. I do always remind people that no matter how many times you have visited somewhere down here, until you actually spend a year or so actually living here you won't really know what it's like or have the time to discover the advantages of one neighborhood/community over a different one.

Always rent first. It's relatively cheap and you won't be stuck in a place that you are having trouble selling if you decide that the grass looks greener elsewhere...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-08-14, 11:36 PM   #5
Churro

Churro is on a distinguished road

Hola Paul ... You will find lots of good info on this site. I am kinda in the same situation you are in. There is a thread here that i started called Buying Mexican Real Estate 101. I ask allot of questions that a new guy would ask... I got allot of very intelligent , honest answers from people who have made the leap from USA to MX.... Please jump in and contribute to the thread, lets learn together.

There are lots of Baja web sites. I find TalkBaja to be the best. Straight forward communication with no commercial interests. very honest pros and cons on many topics.
Old 02-09-14, 08:32 AM   #6
pauldavidmena

Thank you for the kind welcome! I've been on the Baja Nomad forum for about a year, but only found out about TalkBaja after reading some older threads from BajaGringo that included this forum in its signature. I have plenty of questions about not only property purchases, but also Health coverage. I'll try poking around for existing threads before asking questions that have likely been asked dozens of times.

My wife and I had the opportunity to meet monoloco the last time we were in Pescadero. Good guy, with a great reputation as a carpenter. From owning an old house in New England we've learned how important it can be to know a reliable carpenter!

We're fortunate enough to have found a realtor who isn't pressuring us to buy. He in fact mentioned that he did a combination of renting and house sitting before settling on a place in La Poza, Todos Santos. We're trying not to let the snow and cold temperatures sway us into an impulsive decision, but I must admit it's very tempting!
Old 02-09-14, 09:12 PM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

We love getting to meet our friends online - just send me a PM before you are planning on passing through the San Quintin area and we'd love to invite you out to the house for breakfast/dinner or just drinks....

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-10-14, 12:43 PM   #8
Mr Wahoo

Mr Wahoo is on a distinguished road

Retire now, dont wait. I waited till I had lung cancer, and although I left at 57, I could have and should have left at 51.
Old 02-10-14, 05:38 PM   #9
pauldavidmena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wahoo
Retire now, dont wait. I waited till I had lung cancer, and although I left at 57, I could have and should have left at 51.
The technology (and infrastructure) exists - even in Baja - to enable telecommuting, and the high-tech field I'm in has certain specialties that are in sufficient demand to make it feasible to be a "hired gun" irrespective of location. Suffice to say, if such an opportunity came my way, I'd be in Baja in a matter of hours.
Old 02-11-14, 07:16 AM   #10
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavidmena
The technology (and infrastructure) exists - even in Baja - to enable telecommuting, and the high-tech field I'm in has certain specialties that are in sufficient demand to make it feasible to be a "hired gun" irrespective of location. Suffice to say, if such an opportunity came my way, I'd be in Baja in a matter of hours.
I like your approach and yes, reliable high speed internet is available in most areas- but not everywhere and not 100% in areas where it does exist. Double check the connection speeds available for the house you buy or rent- don't assume. I've seen people really ticked off when high speed internet wasn't available when it was promised. Just a heads up.
Old 02-12-14, 06:54 AM   #11
pauldavidmena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
I like your approach and yes, reliable high speed internet is available in most areas- but not everywhere and not 100% in areas where it does exist. Double check the connection speeds available for the house you buy or rent- don't assume. I've seen people really ticked off when high speed internet wasn't available when it was promised. Just a heads up.
So far the best internet setup I've seen in the Todos Santos area was up in Las Tunas, where most people have Phillips satellite receivers for TV and internet and both Telcel and Movistar provided reliable 4G data. That will be crucial if we're really going to work from Baja.
Old 02-13-14, 04:13 PM   #12
pauldavidmena

And why, do you ask, am I considering a move to Baja?

Old 02-13-14, 04:58 PM   #13
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavidmena
And why, do you ask, am I considering a move to Baja?

What is that??
Old 02-13-14, 05:10 PM   #14
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

That Dennis, is the classic out-your-window snow shot. It usually includes an outdoor deck with the tables and chairs covered with a layer of snow. With any luck, you'll never look out your Baja window and see that!
Old 02-13-14, 06:06 PM   #15
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
That Dennis, is the classic out-your-window snow shot. It usually includes an outdoor deck with the tables and chairs covered with a layer of snow. With any luck, you'll never look out your Baja window and see that!
Actually, we have a hill right here between my place and Maneadero that gets occasional dustings.......every few years when conditions are right. It lasts till around midday.
It's the highest hill in the area and covered with antennae.
Old 02-13-14, 07:07 PM   #16
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Doing gardening today in shorts, shirt, and broad-brimmed hat in brilliant 70-degrees; San Diego Mountains.

Old 02-13-14, 07:19 PM   #17
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Say is that "stuff" edible ... ... if so when ya harvesting

Old 02-15-14, 11:57 AM   #18
pauldavidmena

According to this news footage, snow in the Boston area really gets around - if you know what I mean.
Old 02-15-14, 01:53 PM   #19
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

My how trendy .. appears she was thinking of "doing it" in the road
Old 02-15-14, 04:06 PM   #20
pauldavidmena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
My how trendy .. appears she was thinking of "doing it" in the road
Clearly your post to this forum found its way into her subconsciousness in Lowell, MA. Amazing!
wessongroup
This message has been deleted by wessongroup.
wessongroup
This message has been deleted by wessongroup. Reason: double post