General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 03-10-14, 03:30 PM   #1
quail333

quail333 is on a distinguished road

Default risk assessment

OK, I am being hypnotized by the Rosarito Beach Cam but as I am on my own I am cautious. I cross the border in my '85 Toy pickup mid-week in the morning and head straight for Rosarito Beach. I then park on the beach where I see other vehicles between Calle Olivo and Calle del Cipres, and turn off my cut-off switch. Then I go surfing between there and the pier, later lunch and maybe I fancy a horsehide but stick to the beach. In the afternoon I head south to where I will spend the night pretty securely. I just like the beach and want to check it out or what do you advise with the present situation? My Spanish is good and I have been in Mexico but not for a long while.
Old 03-10-14, 03:44 PM   #2
quail333

Default Re: risk assessment

Make that horse ride.
Old 03-10-14, 04:04 PM   #3
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quail333
OK, I am being hypnotized by the Rosarito Beach Cam but as I am on my own I am cautious. I cross the border in my '85 Toy pickup mid-week in the morning and head straight for Rosarito Beach. I then park on the beach where I see other vehicles between Calle Olivo and Calle del Cipres, and turn off my cut-off switch. Then I go surfing between there and the pier, later lunch and maybe I fancy a horsehide but stick to the beach. In the afternoon I head south to where I will spend the night pretty securely. I just like the beach and want to check it out or what do you advise with the present situation? My Spanish is good and I have been in Mexico but not for a long while.

Just don't get too isolated. Bad things can happen when you're out there seemingly alone because you rarely are. "The present situation" is what you make it.
Old 03-10-14, 04:13 PM   #4
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Why go to a city in Mexico to surf, when there is so much beautiful and natural beaches further south? If you are nervous, find others and camp & surf with them.
Old 03-10-14, 05:56 PM   #5
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Your plan is fine. I would pay for parking at the Rosarito Beach Hotel because they have good security. Too many homeless deportees sleeping on the beach downtown to park your vehicle without worry. Even though you will lock your truck- the tweeker thieves know you probably have a cell phone, wallet, change of clothes and a pair of sneakers inside. That's a good day for them. You still need to use your kill switch. South of the RBH pier there is a current active sewage leak from a broken pipeline so ask around to make sure the water is clean on that end of the beach. Get your Mexican car insurance on-line, don't drive at night and do enjoy what Rosarito is famous for- the Fish Tacos. cowabunga.

I am editing this post to add: Perhaps David K can point you towards a surf spot close to Rosarito but without the water and social problems. He know a lot of the "secret spots".

Last edited by Woooosh; 03-11-14 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 08:29 AM   #6
quail333

Thanks for the advise and the camaraderie, I was thinking about the Rosarito Beach Hotel but was a bit leery of going through a condo sales thing but I will get over it. Then I will stay near K38 for a day or two before driving back. That should be enough for one trip and I will make a report.
Old 03-12-14, 10:19 PM   #7
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

RBH won't care about any sales pitch if you pay to park... it's way better than parking anywhere else in town.

Surf, have a chilly one and then head south to where you stay.
Old 03-13-14, 06:09 AM   #8
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
RBH won't care about any sales pitch if you pay to park... it's way better than parking anywhere else in town.

Surf, have a chilly one and then head south to where you stay.
True. You enter the parking lot and take a ticket. Park anywhere you want and go right to the beach. I don't think visitors are allowed past the front desk/restuarant area unless you have a security wristband on.

Although the RBH hotel owner Hugo Torres tried to sell his new tower units as a condotel when it was built, he gave up on that idea years ago. No sales pitches today. The original pitch was that if you bought a RBH condo starting at $199K and had it in their short term rental program- they would waive the $800USD monthly HOA fee.

I'm not sure I'd be camping. There are several 200 pesos-a-night ($18USD) motels in downtown Rosarito with off-street parking by your motel room door. Why rough it? jmho
Old 03-13-14, 10:58 AM   #9
sdraul

sdraul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the advise and the camaraderie, I was thinking about the Rosarito Beach Hotel but was a bit leery of going through a condo sales thing but I will get over it. Then I will stay near K38 for a day or two before driving back. That should be enough for one trip and I will make a report.
K38 and also K42 offer camping sites...good choice to get the feel of things...just remember because you are in a camp keep your stuff locked...Americans steal stuff also....
Old 03-13-14, 06:52 PM   #10
quail333

Good advice, gives me a little feel for the situation, don't worry I won't be camping. Still want to get a Ready card, I want to get a coat of Rustoleum on the truck too. Cheers
Old 03-14-14, 08:58 AM   #11
Woooosh

Quote:
Good advice, gives me a little feel for the situation, don't worry I won't be camping. Still want to get a Ready card, I want to get a coat of Rustoleum on the truck too. Cheers
No such animal exists. If your passport book or passport card have the microchip embedded they are considered "ready" documents. There is not a special card.

btw: If you are really looking for some quick and cheap body work- try Frankes in Rosarito Beach.
Old 03-14-14, 03:57 PM   #12
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Smile Re: risk assessment

Best surf in all of Baja Norte is KM 38.5. Club Marena, a beautiful condo development is located right there with many for short term rent starting at $75 a day. Check VRBO for more info.
Old 03-14-14, 05:09 PM   #13
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
No such animal exists. If your passport book or passport card have the microchip embedded they are considered "ready" documents. There is not a special card.
They like to insist that only the card is acceptable. Makes no sense, but that's what they do.
Old 03-14-14, 05:27 PM   #14
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
They like to insist that only the card is acceptable. Makes no sense, but that's what they do.
I did hear about that. I stand corrected. Apparently they have two kinds of chip readers and the ready lanes use the ones that only read the passport cards, not the chips in the passport books. Our gov't at work...
Old 03-15-14, 07:36 AM   #15
quail333

I want to be as 'ready' as possible.
Old 03-16-14, 08:48 PM   #16
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdraul
K38 and also K42 offer camping sites...good choice to get the feel of things...just remember because you are in a camp keep your stuff locked...Americans steal stuff also....
Good advice...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-17-14, 04:55 AM   #17
sdraul

sdraul is on a distinguished road

Also try Chu's surf camp...It is some where around K50 or so...nice small camp next to the road...saw it last weekend