Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 03-17-14, 03:45 PM   #1
janinemc

janinemc is on a distinguished road

Default Hola!

Hi!

My name is Janine. I live in CA. I am hoping to retire to Baja-specifically the Ensenada area. I am beginning a blog about my journey. I have begun researching and hopefully will be making a trip by the end of the year. I look forward to getting to know some of you. Feel free to share your experiences with me. Have a great day!
Old 03-17-14, 07:49 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hola!

Hi Janine and welcome aboard...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-17-14, 08:20 PM   #3
pauldavidmena

pauldavidmena is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Janine! I'm a fellow newcomer to this forum and a self-described Baja wannabe living in New England. I would estimate that I am between one bad work day and 7 years from retirement age, after which I'm hoping for a safe landing in Todos Santos, Baja California Sur. Blogging about the process seems a great idea. Note to self...
Old 03-18-14, 05:58 AM   #4
janinemc

Thanks for the welcome!

The blog is a way to get all the thoughts out of my head...though I am starting at the beginning with how and why I am looking at Mexico. It's very new-only a few days under my belt so I am nowhere near the "moving process." :)
Old 03-18-14, 08:28 AM   #5
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinemc
Thanks for the welcome!

The blog is a way to get all the thoughts out of my head...though I am starting at the beginning with how and why I am looking at Mexico. It's very new-only a few days under my belt so I am nowhere near the "moving process." :)
to TalkBaja!
Old 03-18-14, 10:41 AM   #6
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

Hola,

Welcome to the Board. Would like to hear about your adventures?
Old 03-18-14, 07:36 PM   #7
janinemc

Hi Bob!

So far, I don't have any "adventures." I have been reading/posting on forums gathering info about living in Mexico. I am blogging my journey. One person has been e-mailing me answering a lot of questions based on his experience. I am hoping to make a trip to the Ensenada area later this year. That will be the beginning of the adventure! Don't get me wrong, researching is great and I get jazzed over many things I learn, but my adventure will be being there! :)
Old 03-19-14, 07:18 PM   #8
janinemc

I replied the other day, but for some reason, I don't see it here. Hi Bob! I don't have any adventures as of yet! For now, I have been researching, reading forum threads on several forums and have been in contact via e-mail with one person who was gracious enough to contact me and answers questions as I think of them. I am blogging, but for now, I am working on the background-how I chose Mexico and why I think it would be a good place to retire. We are hoping to make a trip to the Ensenada area later this year. That will be an adventure and I'll be sure to share!
Old 03-20-14, 07:39 AM   #9
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I replied the other day, but for some reason, I don't see it here...
Sorry about that.

Due to forum spam and a few dedicated, malevolent trolls, we have a policy to delay new members' posts until we've read a few of them.

You now have real-time privileges.
Old 03-20-14, 08:10 AM   #10
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez

a few dedicated, malevolent trolls,

Now, Martin..........we all Gawd's chilun.
Old 03-22-14, 05:25 AM   #11
janinemc

I am honored to be privileged! No apologies necessary. I have been on enough forums where flaming is the norm. Good policy to screen them. And with that, I am off to post! :)
Old 03-22-14, 06:57 AM   #12
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Bob!

So far, I don't have any "adventures." I have been reading/posting on forums gathering info about living in Mexico. I am blogging my journey. One person has been e-mailing me answering a lot of questions based on his experience. I am hoping to make a trip to the Ensenada area later this year. That will be the beginning of the adventure! Don't get me wrong, researching is great and I get jazzed over many things I learn, but my adventure will be being there! :)
It will be interesting to watch your journey of exploration. My journey and exploration started years ago and my reference for the change in Baja will be much different than yours. It would be great to get a new perspective. I am a little farther south of Ensenada near the Queso Grande.
Old 03-23-14, 05:58 AM   #13
janinemc

Hi Bob R!

I'll have to get out my map to see where you are. I am looking at the Ensenada area and a little south at the moment-down to Punta Banda. I am hoping to rent a house when we go rather than stay at a resort, but if we did have to stay in a hotel, I was looking at Estero Beach. That is marked on my map, but it isn't clear if it is only the resort or if there is a town there. Perhaps you know?

I just started blogging about how, when, where and why. If you suffer insomnia some night and want to check it out, here is the link.

janinems1 | The Road to Retirement-Does it lead to Baja?

Have a nice day!
Old 03-23-14, 11:39 AM   #14
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Hola... I strongly suggest you take a vacation drive down the peninsula to get a feel for what is or isn't there.

Estero Beach is a resort, but the city of Ensenada is all around it. South of Maneadero is where you get into the country. 'Queso Grande' lives near San Quintin, 120 miles south of Ensenada.

Baja California by road is 1,000 miles long and travels from coastal semi-arid climate to desert to tropical oasis to tropical arid and side roads can take you into pine covered forests where snow falls every year.

Cities and services are far different than in the United States and you will need to learn that things operate on 'Mexican Time', so don't be in a hurry for ANYTHING while in Mexico. This can be a real joy if you can adapt... and you may live longer by slowing down in life!

Many people here on Talk Baja live in Baja, I do not... but wish I could! Baja is a time machine and can take you back to a simpler time and to places where man is not the ruler of his domain, but Nature still is.

If getting away from civilization and seeing what is beyond the paved road interests you, I have a web site: David K's BAJA Adventures with plenty of photos, maps, history, links, and more!
Old 03-23-14, 11:55 AM   #15
pauldavidmena

pauldavidmena is on a distinguished road

Janine,

I definitely like your blog! I just might have to undertake something similar, but I'll start with this: my wife and I have lived in the Northeast for decades and spend each winter wondering just how much more snow and frigid weather it will take before we snap.

I'm 54 and have worked in IT for over 30 years. It's a young man's profession, so I've transitioned into management in an effort to stay employed long enough to retire with a sufficient nest egg. My wife is 53 and owns her own business. She fully expects to continue working even after I retire. Both of us love Baja - specifically Todos Santos and the surrounding communities - and could probably move there tomorrow if I didn't feel shackled to my job. I've researched various remote employment opportunities, but lack the exact skillset needed to pull it off. It wouldn't take too much to change that, however, so if I grow tired of management (as I did the first 3 times I tried it), I may work more aggressively toward exercising that option.

At this point, we're thinking of maintaining a U.S. presence and spending about 50% of our time Stateside. Given the cost of living in Massachusetts, and the sheer size of our 150 year-old home, we won't stay where we're living now. My wife is originally from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and has wondered about living there part-time, but the very isolation that drove her to the Northeast in the late 70s would still be there, so that might not be an option. Housing is very cheap there, but with good reason. So we still haven't settled on a "home base" just yet. One more thing to think about, I guess...

Paul
Old 03-23-14, 03:58 PM   #16
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard also .. Lots of help her .... for lots of things, some ya don't even ask for
Old 03-24-14, 06:21 PM   #17
janinemc

@ DavidK: I have been to Cancun as well as Aruba. I totally understand about moving slow and that is fine with me. We are planning a trip to check out the area from Rosarito Beach down to Ensenada. I'll definitely check out your website. Thanks!

@pauldavidmena: I spent most of my life in NE PA, so I can relate somewhat about the snow-though you definitely had to endure more than me! And I understand this winter is INSANE! I do not miss snow at all. We will not maintain a presence in the US. We have no reason to and it would just cost more money. I am looking to stretch what we have as far as we can! Good luck making a choice!

@wessongroup: