General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 03-23-14, 05:45 PM   #1
Churro

Churro is on a distinguished road

Default Anyone been to Lopez Mateos?

I am curious about Lopez Mateos. I wonder what what the village is like. Not allot if info on the internet about hotels and restaurants. I know it is popular for whale watching, but what else is down there?
Old 03-23-14, 07:53 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Anyone been to Lopez Mateos?

We haven't been there yet but some friends wanted us to go with them last year. It was August and there was a special event/festival geared around celebrating the migration of the turtles. On their way back they said that it was great and the activities were fun to watch and participate.

Anybody here know if it is an annual event???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-24-14, 10:50 AM   #3
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Lopez Mateos is a nice quiet town. Very clean and feels very safe. It might be a good place to do some kayaking outside the whale season . Other than whales and fishing, I don't think there much else there for tourists, although we've only gone whale watching, had lunch and left. Didn't spend much time checking out the town.

I have no pictures of town, but here's a few of the bay and whales there:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C and whale.jpg

Views:	7

Size:	337.7 KB

ID:	3853  
Attached Images

Old 03-24-14, 03:22 PM   #4
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

I can think of two Baja Nomad regulars who have homes at Lopez Mateos (BajaCalifornian and Mula). I know a family who lives there and run a sport fishing business from there (Mag Bay Outfitters). My son spent a couple months there.

If you search back through the Mike Younghusband walking adventure from 2010-2011, you will see the big surprise put on by the town of Lopez Mateos for him... parade and all... in Feb., 2011. Photos on Nomad of the parade.

Here is a slideshow of Mike in Lopez Mateos from BajaCalifornian: Mike In Lopez Slideshow by bajahi | Photobucket

Last edited by David K; 03-24-14 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 09:05 PM   #5
Churro

Churro is on a distinguished road

Thanks ! You guys are the best!