General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 03-27-14, 02:04 PM   #1
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Smile Quality Meat

Does the Mex Govt have gradings similar to the USA for it's meat, i.e. prime, choice, good? Where in the Rosarito area is the best market for quality steaks?
Old 03-27-14, 03:57 PM   #2
pauldavidmena

pauldavidmena is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Quality Meat

@larry - I know this question is specific to Rosarito, but I wonder if what I discovered in Todos Santos is similar. Meat found in supermercados tends to be fairly average at best, but there is a "boutique" store in town called "Qué Rico" that offers organic meats. It is ex-pat owned and is clearly catering to the large ex-pat community. Its nickname among the locals is "Qué Caro", so I'm guessing that if one is willing to pay for quality meats, someone will come along to meet that need.
Old 03-27-14, 06:21 PM   #3
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

If you ever get down to Ensenada try the San Nicholas, Reforma south of Delante. Across from the Soriana/Office Depot center
Old 03-27-14, 06:57 PM   #4
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavidmena

so I'm guessing that if one is willing to pay for quality meats, someone will come along to meet that need.

That's how Costco sees it too.
Old 03-27-14, 08:06 PM   #5
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Does the Mex Govt have gradings similar to the USA for it's meat, i.e. prime, choice, good? Where in the Rosarito area is the best market for quality steaks?

If the Commercial Mexicana is any thing like the one in Ensenada they have Good Steaks there Most of the time the butcher will special cut for you.
Old 03-28-14, 06:55 AM   #6
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
If the Commercial Mexicana is any thing like the one in Ensenada they have Good Steaks there Most of the time the butcher will special cut for you.
Tried them and was disappointed.
Old 03-28-14, 07:09 AM   #7
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I understand exactly how you feel about Mexican supermarkets´ selection of beef. I usually simply buy Su Karne marinated arrachera [bottom sirlion] in the 600 gr.sealed bag for $105.00 pesos in supermarkets now and gave up on the other cuts. Try it on the grill.

We have many small places that sell "Cortes finos" here but their beef costs much more than in San Diego for the same thing.

I imagine TJ has many places selling "Cortes finos" also.

Megas [Comercial Mexicana] do have a small selection of a higher priced grade of beef in their butcher cases, not always much to chose there, depends, that costs about 50% more than the rest in their cases here. I have never tried it yet.

Last edited by MexicaliAlan; 03-28-14 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 09:00 AM   #8
larry

I would have thought with all the Americans that live in the area, there would be a butcher shop that caters to them?
Old 03-28-14, 09:02 AM   #9
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Most of the Beef you buy in the local market is Grass Fed It's different. But we actually prefer it. As far as the Grading Goes, I think they can pretty well assure you that it's DEAD.
Old 03-28-14, 09:15 AM   #10
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
Most of the Beef you buy in the local market is Grass Fed It's different. But we actually prefer it. As far as the Grading Goes, I think they can pretty well assure you that it's DEAD.
Most of the beef in Baja is either from Sonora or Sinaloa and Mexicali Valley [ where the major crop is alfalfa] feed lots fatten them up and both eat hay, alfalfa, not grass feed as in other places in higher altitudes like Durango and higher altitude areas of Chihuahua and Sinaloa where it is not desert.
Old 03-28-14, 11:11 AM   #11
DENNIS

Different cuts of beef:

beef cuts in mexico - Buscar con Google
Old 03-28-14, 11:23 AM   #12
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS

Thanks Dennis. Has anyone tried the steaks at the Rosarito WalMart?
Old 03-28-14, 04:36 PM   #13
skipowell

skipowell is on a distinguished road

Larry have not tried beef at Walmart yet, but have been talking about trying it there. We got some amazing shrimp there 6 months ago. The produce looked pretty decent also. I am generally not a Walmart shopper so I was rather surprised how great the shrimp was. Off topic but another item that we found at the walamrt that we have really enjoyed is the canned abalone. At only $13 a can it seems a steal. We make a ceviche with it that is out of this world. I have been back to our Walmart three times lately just to get the abalone.
L
Old 03-28-14, 04:59 PM   #14
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipowell
Off topic but another item that we found at the walamrt that we have really enjoyed is the canned abalone. At only $13 a can it seems a steal. We make a ceviche with it that is out of this world. I have been back to our Walmart three times lately just to get the abalone.
I'd be wondering what it really is for that price. The last time I saw canned Ab it was near 80 bucks per.......and that was years ago.
Old 03-28-14, 05:22 PM   #15
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
I'd be wondering what it really is for that price. The last time I saw canned Ab it was near 80 bucks per.......and that was years ago.
I love fresh, fried abalone but as I am sure you know, it is almost impossible to get as most is shipped to Japan. I tried canned abalone and really didn't care for it that much. It was picked in salt water and didn't have that abalone taste in my opinion. Mama Esponsis's sells the cans at their restaurant.
Old 03-28-14, 06:54 PM   #16
DENNIS

Quote:

Mama Esponsis's sells the cans at their restaurant.
Probably Caracol with an Ab label.
Old 03-28-14, 07:12 PM   #17
willardguy

willardguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks Dennis. Has anyone tried the steaks at the Rosarito WalMart?
I do all my shopping at either walmart or smart and final and the last rib eyes I had from walmart were the as good as any i've had from either side.
Old 03-29-14, 07:20 AM   #18
larry

I found a pretty good source located at Mercardo Del Mar, the small market that has over 100 different brands of Tequila inside. They have a butcher counter that even sells prime rib roast cut as big or small as you desire. It was pretty good. The market is located on the non Oceanside of the highway approx. 100 yds. so of Las Olas de Rosarito.