Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 05-08-09, 12:36 PM   #1
gointomex

gointomex is on a distinguished road

Default New Baja Residents

Hi all, so glad to find this web site. We came to Baja (Rosarito) in July 2006 for a week to visit a long time friend who had moved here and fell in love with Baja, bought a house and come 4-5 times a year. But, we are retiring soon (this year). I was laid off so have been fixing up the northern California house for sale......paint, baseboards, closets, purging 20+ years to stuff, garage sale, yard work, etc. Getting ready to put it on the market - late May. So my dream is to be permantly in Baja by Sept. Maybe some wishful thinking, as housing market is so down, but I am an optomist. We love our Baja house and have met many great people and want to met more and do fun things. We always bring a full pickup load down so almost everything we need is set up - only need clothes and cats to bring. We love the sunsets, views, beach walks, friends & pot lucks, food is always an experience. I am able to get along in spanish, but husband has "the bill, please" down to a science and he can order "one (or 2) more beer(s)" so I am the interperter. We are looking forward to learning lots from this forum.
Old 05-08-09, 12:41 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New Baja Residents

Welcome to the forum, gointomex. Nice to see you here in time to enjoy the slow, peaceful pace of the place.
Welcome to Baja as well.
Old 05-08-09, 01:01 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Congratulations you guys and welcome! Many folks in your shoes have just decided to either sell their place for whatever they can get to not have the burden or just rent it out for the time being. It is tough to sell a place right now knowing what the prices were just a couple of years ago.

As far as Spanish, I have gotten to the point where I consider myself 99% fluent. The other 1% is probably a number I will never overcome unless I get a dark tan and wear brown contact lenses. Don't buy into the old saying that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It can be done and I would be happy to give you some ideas if you are interested in really learning to become more fluent in Spanish.

Would probably make a good thread come to think about it. I know if I go on I will be accused of hijacking this one and have my own moderator breathing down my neck!

Look forward to seeing you participate in the forum...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-08-09, 02:40 PM   #4
Gruñón

Gruñón is on a distinguished road

HIjacking is a punishable offense. And not open for discussion.

Welcome gointomex to the forum that others tried to be and failed.
Old 05-08-09, 07:28 PM   #5
beachbum

beachbum is on a distinguished road

It does suck trying to sell a house right now back in the US. Hopefully you got a great deal on your new place down here though!

Old 05-09-09, 10:26 AM   #6
gointomex

gointomex is on a distinguished road

Of course we bought in Baja at the "high" of the boom, before the bust, but since we can't do anything about it, no worries. The biggest problem is selling in Northern California. Too much unemployment, negative news, foreclosures (not many in our long established subdivision), and much lower home prices. We will stick it out 'til it sells. We do have a min. we can accept, but we are the most upgraded and remodled home in the area and a single story with 4 bed- 2 1/2 baths.........good for younger family. And I only need one qualified buyer!

Marlene